Labour and Birth - Things the Movies don't tell us!!

I tore, but with everything else going on you dont feel it ... Actually tell a lie, i did feel a moment of relief where it felt there was suddenly more room, that must have been the tear, but it really didn't hurt at the time. It's sore after, while the stitches are healing but really not as bad as i was expecting.

Another thing I didn't know was that the pushing is actually a good feeling, there is a lot of pressure down below when baby is crowning, and once you start pushing through the contractions you can't really feel them (I couldn't anyway).. Also when Odhrán was being delivered, I expected a completely different pain down there, it's more of a chinese burn feeling, my mw done so much that I wouldn't have even asked for, she was pouring ice cold water down there when I was pushing until Odhráns head was out, it was the most soothing thing I could have had, I will ask for this next time it helped me push harder and longer xx

^^ the contractions definately change, I couldn't do anything but push when the right time came.
Expect the unexpected. And think of your birth plan more as 'guidance'. I changed my mind pretty quickly on some stuff but the essentials happened because my OH knew what I wanted. Make sure your birth partner does know what you want and when to be assertive with staff, sometimes they just don't believe you! 'No you can't have anything else except paracetamol, you're not in active labour yet!' (at 8 cms!!)
Labour and birth is just the start of a huge emotional rollercoaster. You'll get on and wonder who on earth you are and who gave you a life transplant. It's amazing and frightening, but it all totally natural, hormones are crazy! And your new name is mum, never again will you actually be called by your real name, even by your relatives :)

Oh I just remembered another one. They don't let you scream or make noise! I was making an 'urgh' type sound and they told me I had to stop and put all that energy into pushing. I was like ' do you even know how much this hurts?!' my mum was laughing a me because I was as high as a kite lol x

Yea, and in you'r head you are thinking rational thoughts like "god this hurts" and "oh hel, when will this be over" but everyone talks to you like you're stupid and aren't understanding anything and talking about you as if you're not there!

I can't wait but i am really scared at the same time...i honestly don't think i will manage! I think i am dying when i have bad guts and sitting on the toilet lol xxx

Meeah I can't believe she said that! Idiot! My ward was full of howling banshees :lol: I've seen them do it on OBEM and couldn't believe my ears x

To be fair I had a really bad experience where the midwives were concerned x

Having your waters broken - aviod at all costs, especially if you have a closed posterior cervix. Worse than labour itself!

Ah i dont agree mine wasnt too painful. I think it all depend on the midwife and how they do it. I ahd several internals and found that some midwifes just had a nicer touch.. :D

Id say after labour.... Its painful. I mean the after care. I had a 2nd deg tear and it is killing me now 4 days on! And very uncomfortable. Cant sit on anything unless it's super soft!

worst bit the ring of fire aka when the head crowns but this is for a very short time and then 1 more push or maybe a few more and your bby will be born

nah no ring of fire for me... :/ not that i remember anyway xx

Lol ring of fire lol they told me it would sting they lied lol. X x

I didn't feel the ring of fire either, they injected local anaesthetic into my foof before the episiotomy - that smarted lol!

I must have been so lucky after reading all the stories you ladies have told.
Ive been in labour twice but never tore, i couldnt imagine having stitches down below lol makes my eyes water just thinking of the pain. With my 2nd labour i did poo and i can remember saying to my OH ' God that Stinks !! ' lol

i think the worst bit for me was the gigantic-enormous piles for the last few weeks....

and then about 10 days after giving birth i went to the loo and a clot the size of a chicken breast came out and plopped down the loo... i felt it coming and and though"uurrgh what the hell is THAT!?" the midwife said this is very common at about 10 days post birth as alot of the blood pools in the bottom of your uterus and starts to clot, but then as your uterus shrinks back to normal size it and as a result of the shrinking it just pushes out this clot - eeeeeew no-one warned me about that one!

my stitches were fine and healed really well...

i was induced and my bits just got very tender from all the internals...

having waters broken was fine but did use copious amounts of gas and air throughout!

epidural had to be repositioned 3 times but on the 3rd attempt it worked perfectly!

I still have piles now and my babies are nearly three! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back