Calling all ladies with children !

Lexi, youre still here, I was starting to wonder! Happy due date! :yay:

Try and visualise your cervix opening during contractions, in hypnobirthing youre supposed to think of it as a ribbon really easily opening. Not sure it works tho, I spent 48 hours visualising my ribbon cervix and the bloody thing wouldnt budge!!

Ooh happy due date Lexi!!! Hope it won't be too long for you now hun :)

I've gotta say I probs wouldn't have coped very well with labour if it hadn't been for my mum - she knew exactly what to say, kept me calm, and I guess I respected what she said cos she's done it 5 times! My OH was brilliant but there were times when I was begging him to just talk to me to keep my mind off the contractions and he just stood there looking blankly at me! So if your OH is likely to do that, give him some lines! lol
The one thing that got me through contractions was saying 'shoes' really elongated as I breathed out - sounds ridiculous but it makes you keep that breath really slow and made me think about shoes which can't be a bad thing :p

When it comes to pushing, seriously don't push like you're trying to push a baby out, push like you need a poo! You really need to push further 'back' than you think :) And try not to make any noise while pushing - all that strength needs to go to your butt!

^^ WSS :rofl:

I'm sorry but... I felt like Odhrán was coming out of my bum :lol:

My sister shouted in labour "IT'S COMING OUT OF MY ARRRRRRRSE" :rofl:!!! She had no pain relief bless her, it was a wham bam time to push let's go :lol: xx

The one thing that got me through contractions was saying 'shoes' really elongated as I breathed out - sounds ridiculous but it makes you keep that breath really slow and made me think about shoes which can't be a bad thing :p

I just know that will pop into my head in labour!

Hypnobirthing techniques helped me in labour, Arnica tablets helped me to heal after a second section and a Fisher Price rainforest swing helped to get Matt to sleep when he had colic in the early days :)

brilliant thread and great tips ladies!! bet all your words go out he widow when d-day arrives though :lol:

Every time you think you can't bear the pain any longer, picture holding your baby looking and smiling at you and remind yourself the happiness and love he/she brings.

I liked to wear a maternity nightie with popper opening so straight away you can pull it open for skin to skin x

I'd just say to do whatever feels right at the time and whatever you judge to be safest for your baby. I went into it thinking that it wasn't about me and it was about getting bub out safely and I think that helped me not to be focused on my own pain.

My lovely best friend told me that it felt like someone trying to rip her foof open :lol: I think I will be all for pain relief !
Thanks for all the posts ladies, keep them comin its great to hear everything xx

breath, breath and breath again hehe.. I kept forgetting to breath.. Something so simple :)

just stay calm, let ur body take control, listen to ur midwife, let ur birthing partners help you. And don't expect ur birth plan to go to plan.

breath through your contractions. Rest between ur contractions. I got very tired.

and once ur LO is born. Wow!! Pains gone totally and you have a little person lying on you who you will care for forever.

labour/birth was the greatest experience of my life!!!

Good Luck xx

Another one is to be open to ideas, go on all fours, on your side, stand up.. I found the pain was worst when I was on my back.. My favorite was standing up, leaning on the bed squatting, my goddddd it felt amazing when I was having a contraction, my MW pushed both of my hips in when I was having one, at this point I had no pain relief and it worked wonders x

Last edited:
I think everything has been covered already! One thing that really, really helped me was for OH to run a bottle of cool water up and down my back - it acted as a great massager and the distraction definitel helped me with the pain. I would also echo what's been said about keeping an open mind - listen to your midwife, she really does know best! Oh, and bananas - nice and ripe - great for a quick energy boost! I think I ate about 5 because I couldn't stomach anything else! Lots of mineral water too - it was nicer out the bottle than those jugs they give you

Oh thats a good one ! I hate the warm water they give you in hospitals :lol: x

it's always warm and tastes of hospital, yuck :puke:

Last edited:

I just know that will pop into my head in labour!

Hehe, glad I'll be in your thoughts :p

I would also say there were points were I literally thought I couldn't breathe. It felt like my throat had closed up and that breathing wasn't physically possible! I was going to mum 'I can't breathe, I can't breathe!' She was just like 'If you can talk, you can breathe, now stop being silly'. Tell your birthing partner to be firm if you do this sort of thing cos if she'd have pampered to it then I would have been worse and panicked.

Do what the midwife tells you with regards to pushing, if they say stop, stop, and you are less likely to tear. Also, if you need pain relief take it, even if you had no intension of having it. Don't be scared, it's all worth it! X

My lovely best friend told me that it felt like someone trying to rip her foof open :lol: I think I will be all for pain relief !
Thanks for all the posts ladies, keep them comin its great to hear everything xx

:lol: charming! don't be scared though, if it gets too much, like you say there is pain relief. Its such an amazing thing to do! Im watching one born every minute and wishing I could do it tomorrow.

omg yes the water!! All i wanted was ice cold water after the birth and i got warm tap water... YUK!! Make sure you have plenty of high sugar level foods in ur hospital bag and LOTS of knickers lol x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back