Too old?

specialk

Reaction score
Ok so I am starting to panic just a little bit and wanted peoples views on this...

I had a MC last month. I am 33 years old. Awful experience which I dont want to repeat obviously.

Anyway I have read that the chance of an MC increases with age and some people on forums have said that 32 is the cut off age which I dont believe.

However is it true that if you are going to give birth aged 35 plus you are a high risk pregnancy? Feel like my clock is ticking louder than ever but OH wants to wait a few years whereas, especially after realising the chance of miscarriage will increase, I am wanting to try again sooner than later.

Any advice/experience much appreciated xxx

the risks do increase with age and the quality of your eggs gets less as you get older...especailly once you hit 35.

my doc told me they only really get concerned when people reach 40...

i know lots of ladies...lots on here too....who have had successful pregnancies in mid to late 30s....

i'm 35.....and although i am aware that i am getting on i am not losing hope. i also mc in march,,,hopefully just one of those things.

dont worry too much hon but i would maybe have a chat with your OH and explain your worries...xx

Last edited:
Hi I had a MC last April at 6 weeks after TTC for 3months, but went on to get pregnant again last June and now have a gorgeous baby girl Matilda and Im 39 and husband is 41 so please dont get yourself too worked up or worried about age.

Yes there is an increased chance but the odds are low in comparrison so try and stay relaxed it does happen Im proof lol xxx

My doc said that it's really only above 40 that they would consider the risk factors more prominent. My nan was 48 when she had her last!!
I would discuss your feelings with your o/h, maybe he'll be more understanding then you think xx

Medically I think they do class over 35 as higher risk but don't let it bother you too muc, both mine and hubbies mum had us at 41 and we are fine (well ish lol! hehe) It's just a medical label and it doesn't mean anything! xx evertyone is unique

I'm 28 and had a mc the first time I conceived as dud my friend who is 40, then a few months later we both got Preg again- my friend has just had her baby and I'm due in 5 weeks so both differen ages both similar stories x

My mum had me at 39 with no problems. And hers was at the time considered an "unusual" pregnancy because she'd had IVF. She carried just fine. Speak to your OH, see what he says about your concrns about waiting.

I'm 35 (be 36 when baby is born) and midwife didn't seem bothered at all. Think it can take longer the older you are and there are more risks, but at 33 I you still have some time before you need to worry. Only thing that would concern me is some places only offer IVF to certain ages (if you needed it) which varies depending on where you live, thats what made me decide to not leave things too long incase I couldn't get pregnant. It took us about 7 or 8 months but my hubby works away a lot as well so may have had something to do with it. I got pregnant with my daughter at 20 by accident on the pill and the last few years I've not been overly careful so my fertility must have dropped since then!

If you can bleed you can breed :shock: xx

Haha I love it!!:rotfl:

Thanks so much girls for all your comments. Has put my mind at ease. Saying that I still am desperate to have another (esp cos of my MC) so will talk to OH and try and see if we can agree on a timing....xxxxx

I think your OH probably don't want too risk seeing you so upset again so soon after your last mc, men get very protective and don't always say how they are feeling, he might still be getting over the mc himself too. I'm sure he will come round when he realizes your ready to try again. Good luck and all the best for the future xx

Just catching up with posts.... The other girls have given you sound advice, and I wouldn't be worrying too much about it right now.
Good luck with what ever you both decide xxx

Just catching up with this now - I'm 37 - will be 38 when bubs arrives. It's my second and midwife is not at all concerned. We actually had a giggle as any pregnancy over the age of 35 is known as a Geriatric Pregnancy (in doctors lingo!). Hubby's calling me an OAP now :)

I certainly don't require any special care..... and don't have any issues that any other pregnant woman would have.

You'll be fine :)

I am 28 and have had 3 previous mc, I don't think age comes in to it really. Try not to stress talk to ur OH and good luck I am sure you will get ur baby soon x

I'll be 33 in Feb, had a MC end of last year but am now pregnant again :) With both pregnancies I fell really quickly so I don't think 33 is too old at all hon. Just look at all the celebs who are having babies at the moment - so many of them are in their mid to late 30s x x

I'm 36 and my hubby is 45 and all is well here, Midwife never said anything to me about my age and I feel really well with this baby.

I've been incredibly lucky. Both occasions we've tried I have fallen pregnant pretty much straight away (within 2-3 months) & haven't had any miscarriages either. I was just short of 32 years old with my first & will be 38 in July & am due any day now.
I've had private scans & blood tests both times, as with my first my triple test came back at 1 in 150 chance of Down's Syndrome in my baby. So we had private tests & scans. Joseph was born with no health issues whatsoever & this baby all tests have been fine, so hoping again for no problems at birth. I would say though that 6 years on this pregnancy has been much more hard work on my body & I've felt tireder this time. But as somebody else has said if you are still having periods, you're still popping eggs. Just relax & have fun trying :lol::lol::lol:
I think getting hung up on things & trying to make it more of a mission can take the shine off trying. So just try to relax & just have sex when you fancy it rather than doing the whole following a chart & just "doing it" around those days.
We just bonked when we felt like it & thought if & when it happens, it happens. Seemed to work for us x
Happy bonking!!!!!! :rofl:

Sunnyb xxx

Hi I'm 41 and will be 42 by the time baby arrives. I haven't had any different pre-natal care due to my age because I'm apparently fit and well and didn't hit any markers.
The risks of miscariage and genetic disorders do increase dramatically after 40 according to the statistics but so far, touch wood, everything is ok.
It took us quite a while to get pregnant as my FSH levels were going up but it happened! if you're worried I would suggest you have a Anti-Mullerian Hormone test done. You have to have it privately but it will tell you whether you still have plenty of eggs left and what quality they are. If the test comes back saying everything is good then you know you can wait a few years - if it doesn't then you know it would be best to start trying again....
hope that helps, Nicky :wave:

Heya

I'll be 33 in a couple of weeks!

I have been reading obsessively about this for the last couple of years (to encourage OH to get a move on!) but the first age anyone seems to cite as an increased risk is 35 so I'm sure you have got time on your side xx

My mum was 36 when she had me, and our neighbor across the street had a little surprise at 42, she thought she was going through menopause but was actually pregnant. Just thought I would share, good luck :dust: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back