*** September & October 2019 Mummies ***

Urg, not sleeping through is the worst! It’s definitely preparing us for what lies ahead! Lol

Urg, not sleeping through is the worst! It’s definitely preparing us for what lies ahead! Lol

I think so! If mine is wide awake screaming at 2am - I’ll know that started in utero haha :rotfl:

Hey guys, I've not caught up, just posting an quick update until we are home and rested.

Baby Isabelle was born by emergency c section at 6.20pm on Thursday 26th.

I was admitted Wednesday and my previous section scar was rupturing. We needed me to have steroid jabs for Isabelle's lungs so held out as long as we could, but finally the rupture got too close to opening and I was rushed through.

I then haemorrhaged that evening which is something I will never forget.

Woke to be told Isabelle had a heart murmur and markers for Downs. Then we were told she had a blockage from the heart and may need transferring to Bristol.

Neonatal did a scan and her heart was fine thank god. Just had her bloods done so will get the results for Downs/other abnormality on Friday.

I feel like my head is on a constant spin cycle, but we are both healthy and she is absolutely beautiful. I'll sort a picture when I can log back in.

Love to you all and hope you're all doing okay. X

Congratulations on your beautiful little girl. It sounds like you had quite the traumatic experience but glad your both safe and sound now.x

Congratulations GG! You were right about her coming early!!

That sounds very traumatic, especially with being told she had heart trouble and with yourself haemorrhaging. Glad you guys are ok now.

Definitely post a pic when you have time. Rest up and take care of yourselves. X

Hey guys, I've not caught up, just posting an quick update until we are home and rested.

Baby Isabelle was born by emergency c section at 6.20pm on Thursday 26th.

I was admitted Wednesday and my previous section scar was rupturing. We needed me to have steroid jabs for Isabelle's lungs so held out as long as we could, but finally the rupture got too close to opening and I was rushed through.

I then haemorrhaged that evening which is something I will never forget.

Woke to be told Isabelle had a heart murmur and markers for Downs. Then we were told she had a blockage from the heart and may need transferring to Bristol.

Neonatal did a scan and her heart was fine thank god. Just had her bloods done so will get the results for Downs/other abnormality on Friday.

I feel like my head is on a constant spin cycle, but we are both healthy and she is absolutely beautiful. I'll sort a picture when I can log back in.

Love to you all and hope you're all doing okay. X

Gosh, sounds awful :( luckily you went to the hospital when you did! Sounds so scary. I’m glad you are both doing well, glad her little heart is fine <3

Thanks for the update. Hope you both continue to be well xx​

How are you all doing ladies? Who is feeling ready to pop?

Isabelle and I are home. I bloody burst into tears when I walked in to Kieran and we basically cwtched up to each other all evening until he went to bed. Safe to say, he's missed his mummy after 6 days apart. Isabelle is still sleeping like a dream bless her.

I can see more now what the Paeds people were seeing as markers for Downs, so if we get a positive result on Friday, it won't be a big surprise. It's only at certain times that we can see it, but it is there. She is so bloody perfect though. Nobody else can see it but I am a realistic person by nature and I am almost relieved that I can see what they are seeing.

She is just like her big brother so I'm sorry ladies, but you may all end up hating me. I have two babies that love to sleep, lol.

She has cried 5 times since being born. When she was assessed by Paeds, when she had her bloods taken from her hand and when she had her heel prick bloods done for her jaundice monitoring. Not cried at all other than that, just like her brother.

I swear the other mums on the ward hated me, lol. But...I will say this, do not ever worry about popping baby down to have a breather if they are crying and won't stop. All the midwives have commented that my babies don't cry because I am so very very relaxed about it all. What I saw last year and this, is poor new mums desperately wanting to be able to stop their babies crying.

Don't worry about it. When someone else comes and takes your baby and it calms quickly, it's not because you have failed or you can't do it. It's because that person is calm and the baby picks up on it. You can't be calm all the time. You're in a world of emotional and hormonal upheaval and you all need to remember to be bloody kind to yourselves. It's okay to struggle and it's okay to let someone else take your baby for a bit to give you a breather. And wind... it's incredible how these mini humans can hold on to wind that, when you finally get it up, they just sleep.

If you stay in overnight and need sleep, let the midwives take the baby to the office for a bit to get some sleep if your partner isn't with you. The midwives love it and your baby will love having a rested mummy.

Sorry for rambling, I just hated seeing new mums feel so bad bless them. Don't. If this is your first time, be kind to yourself xx

Aah so glad you’re home and sounds like Isabelle is a dream!! That’s nice you got to catch up with your other little one. What does he think of his new sister?

Thanks for the advice on crying and sleeping in the wards. That makes sense that a baby picks up on an adult being calm. I’ll have to remind myself of that! But also happy to ask for help and hand her over if I get overwhelmed!

Glad you are all home, bless little Kieran be sounds like a cutie pie! Hopefully Isabelle continues to be a dream for you! Do let us know the result on Friday. I would have no idea what the markers are, but that’s good you can see what the doctors have picked up - at least you don’t have a crappy paediatrician!

Thanks for the advice! I have also heard of this “contagious calm” effect. I’m not normally an anxious person... if anything I need more anxiety to kick my butt into gear, nearly 37 weeks and still haven’t finished my hospital bag haha. So hopefully that rubs off on my little one too- chill and take it easy :)

I’m getting very sore and uncomfortable, haven’t felt great at work the last few days and my ankles swell terribly! But I don’t feel ready to pop actually! I have always had a sense that bub would be late, so I predicted she would be born Nov 1st or 2nd (8-9 days overdue)... so we shall see what happens. I’m pretty content as is :)

@xoxo how are you feeling? I was actually pretty nauseous and just sickly the last few days ... has your nausea passed yet? x

hey @pupperino. Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling great. When do you finish work? Hopefully soon and then you can just relax.

We're on the home stretch now! I actually did feel nauseous today, but i think my sickness is just related to needing to eat and have a rest. Have you felt better once you've eaten? Maybe it's your body's way of saying you need to slow down, or are you feeling over tired? I think it's probably part of just how far along we are now. I get tired around 8/9pm and in the mid afternoon!

I still have last minute things to do too. The nursery is still a bit of a mess, I figure, what will be will be! I'm doing another online order right now actually haha

I tried hand expressing colostrum last night! to my utter surprise it worked! my sister said it took her over three attempts over three days so i wasn't expecting a good outcome. So because of that I hadn't bothered sterilising any syringes or cups lol so i'm going to do that today and then try expressing again tonight into them.

hey @pupperino. Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling great. When do you finish work? Hopefully soon and then you can just relax.

We're on the home stretch now! I actually did feel nauseous today, but i think my sickness is just related to needing to eat and have a rest. Have you felt better once you've eaten? Maybe it's your body's way of saying you need to slow down, or are you feeling over tired? I think it's probably part of just how far along we are now. I get tired around 8/9pm and in the mid afternoon!

I still have last minute things to do too. The nursery is still a bit of a mess, I figure, what will be will be! I'm doing another online order right now actually haha

I tried hand expressing colostrum last night! to my utter surprise it worked! my sister said it took her over three attempts over three days so i wasn't expecting a good outcome. So because of that I hadn't bothered sterilising any syringes or cups lol so i'm going to do that today and then try expressing again tonight into them.

I am feeling much better now thankfully! I have 1.5 days next week, and my final 2 days the following week :) So not much more to do! I'll also be cleaning and organising on my days off.

Ah yes, I have noticed I need to eat more often. I have lunch at 11am now, and a second lunch around 2-ish lol. I'm so tired by the end of the day - 9pm is usually my bed time!

Oh wow that's amazing! So glad it worked first go! I haven't attempted yet and a bit nervous to do so. I'll be sure to update when I start trying :)

Oh great so only three days to go! Woohoo!

I had a random burst of energy this morning, it’s normally when I’m most awake lol so I did a bunch of laundry and cleaning. Think I need to rest now though lol it’s hard not being as active as I was before or getting more tired easily. I want to do all the things! But I know I also have to recognize when to slow down.

Well I tried expressing again last night and I got nothing! I read that that’s normal though. If I don’t get any more I’m not going to stress. Don’t be nervous about it! It’s really just giving your boob a massage lol
I think it’s just worth attempting to do it and that’s the main thing but if you aren’t able to get anything don’t worry.

Oh great so only three days to go! Woohoo!

I had a random burst of energy this morning, it’s normally when I’m most awake lol so I did a bunch of laundry and cleaning. Think I need to rest now though lol it’s hard not being as active as I was before or getting more tired easily. I want to do all the things! But I know I also have to recognize when to slow down.

Well I tried expressing again last night and I got nothing! I read that that’s normal though. If I don’t get any more I’m not going to stress. Don’t be nervous about it! It’s really just giving your boob a massage lol
I think it’s just worth attempting to do it and that’s the main thing but if you aren’t able to get anything don’t worry.

Oh it’s so hard for me to slow down too. There is so much to do and I just feel like I have the energy to do so much more, but the reality after pushing myself hits home hard haha.

Ah so interesting. Ok, good to know it’s hit or miss. I’ll give it a shot next week! :)

I'm well impressed with the expressing of milk or attempts to ladies. Sounds like you're all doing well and glad you're feeling better xoxo

Well, we came back into Hospital on Tuesday afternoon for Jaundice and Isabelle spent 14 hours under the phototherapy lamp. She also hAd a weird breathing episode that meant she was wheeled down to Paeds without me for some tests. Luckily she settled and came back but fuck my life, watching them take her away was bloody awful. Dan came in and spent the night. Bless him, he broke down in tears when he got here and saw her.

Thought we were going home yesterday but they couldn't get any blood out of her so it got really late waiting for the results and they wanted to keep monitoring her breathing.

Then today, with hope of going home and having gone through my discharge...again...she was sick and it came out of her nose but very thick and mucousy. She couldn't clear it and the midwife was in with us. She tried to clear it, then couldn't and said, "we'll just take her to the resus table to use the suction tube". Her walk turned into running which turned into the entire Paeds team running into the room and hands all over her to clear her airways. I just stood there, totally helpless, feeling like my body was a shell with nothing in it.

She is fine now, but we were given a crash course in infant resus so that we are prepared at home if we need to be.

And then...the results. Isabelle is positive for Trisomy 21 Down Syndrome.

I am so relieved we weren't made to wait until tomorrow. It changes nothing for Dan and I, she's our perfect little girl and we are beyond blessed to have her in our lives (so long as she stops scaring the living shit out of me).

So, we will get some extra support and things like physio for her and we do need to have a few tests for various things but we already had her heart scanned and that is perfect, so we are surprisingly perfectly fine with it all. Obviously nobody would choose to have their baby have Downs, but equally, if I was told I could change her now, I wouldn't change a hair on her head, she is our girl, we have already fallen completely in love with her as she is and will make sure she gets the absolute best life.

Hope you are all feeling okay and I'll try to "pop in" tomorrow. Xx

Hi GG I come in and check in on the ladies who are due sometimes because I just love hearing about new babies. What you wrote here about Isabelle is so poignant and beautiful and true, and she is so very lucky to have you and Dan for her parents. My husband's cousin has Down Syndrome, and one of my best friends has a son with the diagnosis as well, and I tell you they are some of the most beautiful souls I have ever had the pleasure to encounter in my life. The children AND their families. Especially watching my husband's other cousin, the big brother, proudly protect and advocate for his little sister... it is the most beautiful, moving, and inspiring thing to watch. It is an honor that Kieran will now have that role, too. Sending you all the best wishes for your family and may Isabelle quit terrifying you from here on out!

I'm well impressed with the expressing of milk or attempts to ladies. Sounds like you're all doing well and glad you're feeling better xoxo

Well, we came back into Hospital on Tuesday afternoon for Jaundice and Isabelle spent 14 hours under the phototherapy lamp. She also hAd a weird breathing episode that meant she was wheeled down to Paeds without me for some tests. Luckily she settled and came back but fuck my life, watching them take her away was bloody awful. Dan came in and spent the night. Bless him, he broke down in tears when he got here and saw her.

Thought we were going home yesterday but they couldn't get any blood out of her so it got really late waiting for the results and they wanted to keep monitoring her breathing.

Then today, with hope of going home and having gone through my discharge...again...she was sick and it came out of her nose but very thick and mucousy. She couldn't clear it and the midwife was in with us. She tried to clear it, then couldn't and said, "we'll just take her to the resus table to use the suction tube". Her walk turned into running which turned into the entire Paeds team running into the room and hands all over her to clear her airways. I just stood there, totally helpless, feeling like my body was a shell with nothing in it.

She is fine now, but we were given a crash course in infant resus so that we are prepared at home if we need to be.

And then...the results. Isabelle is positive for Trisomy 21 Down Syndrome.

I am so relieved we weren't made to wait until tomorrow. It changes nothing for Dan and I, she's our perfect little girl and we are beyond blessed to have her in our lives (so long as she stops scaring the living shit out of me).

So, we will get some extra support and things like physio for her and we do need to have a few tests for various things but we already had her heart scanned and that is perfect, so we are surprisingly perfectly fine with it all. Obviously nobody would choose to have their baby have Downs, but equally, if I was told I could change her now, I wouldn't change a hair on her head, she is our girl, we have already fallen completely in love with her as she is and will make sure she gets the absolute best life.

Hope you are all feeling okay and I'll try to "pop in" tomorrow. Xx

Oh my goodness GG - you poor thing! Sounds absolutely awful and terrifying to experience :( ... Glad Isabelle pulled through, sounds like the medical team are all over it.

She is so lucky to have you both as parents -sounds like she is the perfect match for you and she will just thrive in your family. Hopefully she continues to be well and doesn't scare you too much! Be sure to take care of yourself and Dan as well - somehow!

I'm still feeling well and out and about x

Oh, i'm so hoping Isabelle is ok now? Has her jaundice cleared up? That sounds so scary, thank god you were in the hospital when it happened but also that's good that you got some training in what to do. Do they know why that happened?

That's good that you didn't have to wait until today to hear the results of the tri 21 test. But like you said, she's perfect anyways but now you just have more idea of supports to help her now and in the future etc

I hope she doesn't have any more scary incidents like that one. It's horrible because they're just so little and you want to do everything to protect them.

I can’t believe how tiny and vulnerable little babies are! I did a baby CPR course the other week and I was really glad I went. Learned so much and feel a bit more confident in an emergency. I kinda wish my DH did it as well, I might enroll him in a course soon.

That’s a good idea about an infant CPR course. I have my CPR and first aid anyways because of my job but now that you mentioned it I think I should get my husband into one too. We talked about it ages ago but never looked any up.

So I did expressing again last night and it worked! But then my tummy kept going tight on and off and kinda hurt? not exactly contractions but it just felt off. So it scared me and I stopped! Lol I do know that it can start contractions. It was definitely me probably overthinking but I stopped just incase lol I’m happy I was able to express some though after not being able to the other night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back