How to get an elective c section?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about psychological grounds then?
It is a huge resource, but regardless its still an option. Doesnt take it away from the fact that every woman has a choice.

I did say in my first reply that medical reasons should include psychological reasons...

Snip....

I would imagine that most hospitals can refuse the request if there is absolutely no medical grounds (including psychological reasons)

I had an elective csection with no medical need. Happy to answer any questions. Xx

This still surprises me as I thought it was very difficult on the NHS to effectively opt for a c-section?

Did you not have to give any reasons?

x

I had an emergency section and can honestly say id do it again in a heartbeat, I recovered really well and quick. Although saying that I would absolutely love to experience a vaginal birth next time. Just wanted to throw it in there that not all sections are horrific and take ages to recover xx

I don't understand why someone would get pregnant on the basis of not giving birth or accepting that's how a baby comes out ?! Very odd

I don't understand why someone would get pregnant on the basis of not giving birth or accepting that's how a baby comes out ?! Very odd

I have major labour fear! I don't deal well with pain and the thought of the whole experience terrifies me, although I will opt for ways to try and deal with it and prepare myself (e.g hypnobirthing) rather than opting for a c-section, the chance of being a mother and bringing up a child greatly outweighs my fear and despite how scared I am about the whole thing, I don't think I could choose not to have children just because I have a phobia of labour!

Last edited:
What about psychological grounds then?
It is a huge resource, but regardless its still an option. Doesnt take it away from the fact that every woman has a choice.

I did say in my first reply that medical reasons should include psychological reasons...

Snip....

I would imagine that most hospitals can refuse the request if there is absolutely no medical grounds (including psychological reasons)

I had an elective csection with no medical need. Happy to answer any questions. Xx

This still surprises me as I thought it was very difficult on the NHS to effectively opt for a c-section?

Did you not have to give any reasons?

x

I simply did not wish to have a natural birth. That was a good enough reason. Although I did have fears regarding pain and I had previously had chronic fatigue syndrome so I was scared I may not be able to physically do it. There was nothing medical about my choice. Intact my consent form, the reason was detailed maternal choice. Nothing else.

I find it odd that people can't understand some women simply just do not want to have a natural delivery.

I in no way would say a csection is better, it's not unless its better for you and you go into it eyes wide open and know all the risks. I work in a department who deal with surgical site infections (nhs employee) so I know the horror stories and sadly see too many of them, yet this never put me off. I guess my whole point in all of this is, yes you can chose what method of delivery you want which is what the op was asking advice on. The review of maternal services made this possible in the uk. No midwife in the land is going to go out there and advertise that though. It's clearly more risky and costly.

Oh and to add, my local health board were amazing and supportive of my decisions. I thought I would have to fight with the midwife and consultant to get what I wanted. I was seen on my 16 week appointment and a date scheduled for my op. that went out the window though as I did go on to develop cholestasis and baby was born early at 37weeks. In our hospital there is no option for an epidural. We do not have anaesthesia services which cover this. It's simply a spinal or GA for csections. Had an epidural have been available it may have changed my mind. Our board has a higher csection race than forcep delivery rate I gather. I was told this by a midwife.

I also find it odd that you don't understand that other people have different opinions. How absurd to assume every woman who is terrified of labor or who simply does not wish to give birth naturally shouldn't have children?

tapatalkin

I also find it odd that you don't understand that other people have different opinions. How absurd to assume every woman who is terrified of labor or who simply does not wish to give birth naturally shouldn't have children?

tapatalkin

Yeah I had to skip by that comment too as it actually upset me!

Oh and as for being a waste of resources, there are many many more things that the NHS waste money on, alcoholism related illness, drug related illness, obesity... The list goes on.

tapatalkin

tapatalkin

Yeah I had to skip by that comment too as it actually upset me!

A very narrow minded comment indeed hun :hug:

tapatalkin

Thanks tambo. It's hard cause others phobias are accepted but something as taboo as this gets comments like that. Sometimes don't know why I bother to be honest. Xx

I see nth wrong with elective c sections?
Everyone should have a word regarding his healthcare?
What doctors should do is advice.
I wanted an c section for my own reasons that had to do with the baby.
After loads of talk with the head I the department I decided on a natural birth with the following conditions
Continuous invasive following of the baby, presence of the gynecologist and pediatric icu doctor at the moment of birth and at any sign that the baby is struggling a c section with no second thought or delays.
They were fine with all that and that's exactly what we did.
I was though offered If I still wanted a c section.
I am not so sure what to say about resources as so many doctors followed me and required so many scans to verify the baby's position during labour that wouldn't come down that for sure a c section was even cheaper for the hospital...
Saying that second time around I hope I will have a natural birth again though my first one was horror for the simple reason that I hope I will be home with Amelie sooner than with a c section.
Child birth is a major event for a woman and it can be pretty traumatic in physical and emotional level.
I find it completely dictatorial and medically unethical to have nth to say about it?

Just want to add, I didn't want to give birth naturally but my gosh I wanted to be a mum. And I'm a bloody good one even if I do say so myself.

Hope, your right, as usual!!

Firstly, please make a complaint about the midwife who laughed at you, she has no right to not only ignore but mock your feelings about birth like this!
Also, it's your body and you definatly have the right to decide what happens to it. I wouldn't advise a c section without medical reason Jst because its major surgery and there can be serious complications, although tat doesn't mean there will be. If however after talking to a consultant it's something you feel would be best for you an your baby for whatever reason, you should do it.

You have the right to request to see a consultant about this, and if he/she fobs you off you can ask for a second opinion and /or to be transferred to a different health board. This is obviously something you're worried about so you should definately seek further information about c sections so you can make an informed decision, asking to see a consultant was the right thing to do.

I see nth wrong with elective c sections?
Everyone should have a word regarding his healthcare?
What doctors should do is advice.
I wanted an c section for my own reasons that had to do with the baby.
After loads of talk with the head I the department I decided on a natural birth with the following conditions
Continuous invasive following of the baby, presence of the gynecologist and pediatric icu doctor at the moment of birth and at any sign that the baby is struggling a c section with no second thought or delays.
They were fine with all that and that's exactly what we did.
I was though offered If I still wanted a c section.
I am not so sure what to say about resources as so many doctors followed me and required so many scans to verify the baby's position during labour that wouldn't come down that for sure a c section was even cheaper for the hospital...
Saying that second time around I hope I will have a natural birth again though my first one was horror for the simple reason that I hope I will be home with Amelie sooner than with a c section.
Child birth is a major event for a woman and it can be pretty traumatic in physical and emotional level.
I find it completely dictatorial and medically unethical to have nth to say about it?

Do you pay for healthcare on Norway hun?

xxx

Last edited:
As I say I have no problem with elective sections for medical reasons (including a phobia of labour - although it's kind of hard to have a phobia of something you've never experienced before??)

I was just asking Gayle how she managed to get a section as she said there was no medical reasons for her section (I assume that includes psychological reasons?)

I support choice I truly do, however the NHS has to have certain cut of points and I really do not think refusing sections purely as the mother wants one for no medical or psychological reason is a bad thing. The NHS cannot support everyone's individual choice for every medical eventuality.

I am intrigued that Gayle says she didn't want to give birth? If you don't mind are you happy to expand?

Personally I'd rather see more funding for EPU's as opposed to all women having the right to "opt" for a section.

If it is that important to have a section and you don't fit the medical criteria then go private.

I don't think it makes any difference to your skills as a Mother, my reasons are about money and resources.

x

Last edited:
What a lot of intolerant drivel. The only choice you support is the one that agrees with you.
How can you have a phobia about something you never experienced? That is so rude and condesending. I am terrified of having a bird fly into me, proper real anxiety, puking phobia. It has never happened to me. But it is still a real phobia.

Having a caesarian is giving birth. Just because the baby doesn't get pushed out of your vagina doesn't mean a stork rocks up instead.
Gayle, I am so pleased you got the birth you wanted.

Rhiannon I would complain about that midwife and find one who is more tolerant of your wishes

In fairness Carnat, a lot of people are phobic about things they've never experienced before so I think it's a wee bit unfair & condescending to say such a thing.
The lassie is asking for advice & I know with advice comes opinions but i think we've forgotten about her in all of this.

Sorry ladies - I guess phobia is the correct term as it is an irrational fear. My bad !!

I think my point is being missed though.

The question is how do you get an elective section and the answer I am giving is that unless there are medical reasons you are unlikely to be able to have a section. I agree with this 100%. You cannot just rock up and say 'I dont fancy giving birth so can I have a section'... (which is totally different to having medical issues or being terrified - or phobic - of childbirth)

I have not said that having a section isn't giving birth?

I suggest you read what I have said properly. My issue is with c-sections being optional for someone, who medically and psychologically, has no need for one.

Last edited:
If you havnt got anything nice to say... then dont say anything at all, but as you cant seem to help yourself i cant seem to either.

This lady was just looking for a bit of help and advice of which Gayle was giving her. Every human has a choice as to what they want their body to go through and we all have our own opinions. Your comments are small minded and point blank rude.

From what i can tell she was asking if anyone had ever done it and how they went about it, not your personal opinion on elective sections or anything else for that matter.

We all have our own phobias, opinions and prefrences thats what makes us unique, like your chocie of special additioned black framed pushchairs for instance carnat...

Do not judge when you have no idea of a persons story. Even if she just doesnt want to push a baby out her foof, i cant blame her, i didnt give birth then think oh yeah who wouldnt want to do this?

I would definately change your midwife hun its horrible to be laughed at when its something important to you, i hope you get it sorted.

Im glad you had the birth you wanted Gayle.

So basically i think carnat YOU are missing the point... no one cares about your opinion on this or any other thread.

Good day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member