How to get an elective c section?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhiannon548

Reaction score
I really want to have a c section birth for numerous reasons. However when I mentioned this to my midwife she laughed at first and was then horrified. She said she could refer me to the consultant however there would be no point as he would just say no. When I pressed to be referred she said she would consider it at my next appointment, however I would like to be referred as soon as possible and am worried that I will be fobbed off. I have read the NICE guidelines which state in the end if after counselling a woman should be allowed to have an elective section if she still desires. Should I phone the midwife and ask to be referred asap or wait until my next appointment? I am aware that some people to have elective c sections and would like to know how they managed it? Has anyone had one and how did they persuade the midwife / consultant if there were no medical reasons? Thanks

Having had 2 c-sections and no choice in the matter, I'm not quite sure why you'd choose to have a major operation when there was no medical need.

BUT... if you really want to go down that route and your local NHS Trust allows it, I don't see why you should be denied that choice. I'd be getting back in touch with your midwife and really impressing upon her that you want a c-section and to be referred to discuss it. Of course the consultant may still say no, but that'd be up to them, not the midwife.

I had an elective csection with no medical need. Happy to answer any questions. Xx

Our local hospital will only carry out a c section if it is in the best interest or you/your baby/both of you...i.e. An emergency. They will not perform elective c sections. Personally I can't see why you'd want one. You'd be limited to what you do for at least 6 weeks afterwards xx

Thanks gayle. What reasons did u give when requesting one and did you have a job persuading them? Thanks

I can completely understand why you'd want an elective section. I have had 4, first one an emergency, next 3 planned. I obviously have no natural birth to compare to but after watching many natural births on TV/internet and hearing stories of shitting themselves, tears, stitches, vagina's that are never as tight afterwards etc etc I am extremely happy I have had to have Caesareans lol. Recovery for me has always been fine, first one was slower but that was after days of natural labour, giving birth to my boys head then having to have an episiotomy, then being told to get the rest of him out they would have to dislocate his shoulders, so yeah... Understandably recovery was slower.

I've watched every single episode of one born every minute and I honestly haven't seen a single natural birth I an envious of. I know I an probably in the minority but still some must surely share my opinion.

I personally would be firm, tell your MW that she either respects your wishes and refers you or you will seek another MW immediately. Even if it is fear of natural labor, which is a very real thing, you need to speak to a consultant and it is your right to request and discuss the birth of your choice, just as it is another woman's choice to request a water birth with whale music playing in a dark room.

Good luck hun, regardless of your choices you still have an opinion that you can demand be heard, them acting on it is another story ofc but if they refuse then you need time to find a health authority that will agree. therefore you needed referral as soon as possible xxx

tapatalkin

They do tend to only show the eventful births on obem though to be fair. I wouldn't base any decision on that! I've had one baby by section and 4 by vaginal delivery and I know which one I'd chose any day! I don't/didn't have any of the issues you've mentioned!

Yeah I agree completely that they probably only show births with a bit of drama for TV lol. I certainly don't base my decision solely on that though, I base it personal experience of labour and many stories I have heard and read from friends, family, blogs, forums etc. Wasn't your section straight after a natural birth of one of your twins Cos? I remember reading something you wrote about it. I completely understand why you have traumatic caesarian memories after that, just horrendous hun xxx

tapatalkin

My first baby's was a natural birth, but due to complications all further deliveries have to be sections. Gotta say in my case the section has been much easier and I had a much faster recovery from the section.

Don't quote me, but I thought a few years ago they changed the rules so you can decide if you want a planned section?

Yeah I agree completely that they probably only show births with a bit of drama for TV lol. I certainly don't base my decision solely on that though, I base it personal experience of labour and many stories I have heard and read from friends, family, blogs, forums etc. Wasn't your section straight after a natural birth of one of your twins Cos? I remember reading something you wrote about it. I completely understand why you have traumatic caesarian memories after that, just horrendous hun xxx

tapatalkin

Yes my section was after a natural birth, it was bloody awful! Searing pain when I bent over or coughed or sneezed. A horrid catheter, additional days in hospital and a bloody awful scar to add insult to injury!
My last vaginal birth was perfect, I walked out of the delivery suite 2hrs later, got in the car and went home as if nothing had happened!

Ouch! I just don't even want to imagine :hug:

Sounds like you has an amazing experience last time though :) xxx

tapatalkin

Labour and birth was one of the best experiences of my life so I'd never choose an elective cs but if that's what you want I think you just have to be firm and insist you be referred. You may need to receive counciling first but you have a legal right to ask for a cs.

Last edited:
Having never had a c-section I may not be best placed to comment but hey ho.

I would imagine that most hospitals can refuse the request if there is absolutely no medical grounds (including psychologoical reasons)

The NHS is a very overstretched resource so I can understand why MW's would discourage women from opting for c-sections.

The amount of staff involved in a c-section versus staff for a normal birth means it isn't cost effective to allow women to pick and choose. The fact is the NHS has to be as cost effective as possible to allow us all to benefit from it.

Women should ideally have a choice but only with good reason iykwim?

I would worry that women choosing sections are taking away valuable resources from those that need them (IE women who need emergency sections..)

I know we all want the best care and we all want to be empowered with choice but if you feel that strongly then maybe you need to go private? The NHS isn't perfect and not everyone's every need can be catered for.

Personally having a section was my greatest fear. Although I hear elective sections are much better than emergency ones

X

Last edited:
To the OP -look up the Winterton and Cumberledge Report. This should explain more. Eveey woman has the right to decide what they want.

I think our hospital also only allows c sections for medical reasons or if there were big issues with a previous birth, mainly due to resource issues like nat explained above. I think I remember discussing c sections in our NCT classes and they have something like 11 people in the room so it is resource heavy. Like someone else said maybe look at going private or maybe speak with your local hospital directly? I do remember reading somewhere that all women now have the right to choose but that may only be the case if your hospital can support that decision resource wise if you see what I mean.

Personally I had an amazing natural birth and had none of the dramatic issues seen on tv. In fact my oH had prepared himself for a bloodbath and was actually amazed at how undramatic it all was :)

I do think your mw is out of order for laughing and not talking through what your worries are, etc, that is only going to add to your anxiety. I hope you get it all sorted hun xxx

If your hospital cant/wont support then you are entitled to ask for a second opinion or moved to a different health board.

If your hospital cant/wont support then you are entitled to ask for a second opinion or moved to a different health board.

I still think that if there are no medical grounds then there should be no obligation to accommodate such a request.

Medical grounds are very varied though so I am sure the OP can argue her case.

I don't think I'll be comfortable with the notion that a woman can simply request a c-section? Even if it is a lovely experience [which is was for you, but isn't for everyone] it is a waste of resources IMO.

X

What about psychological grounds then?
It is a huge resource, but regardless its still an option. Doesnt take it away from the fact that every woman has a choice.

I think simply requesting isnt an option anyway as you would have to speak to a consultant? Otherwise many women would request it because they would think its easier. But its a major surgery with a list of possible complications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back