Planned c-section after emergency c-section?????

kat86

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone had a planned c-section after an emergency c-section and what are your thoughts on it??
2 1/2 years ago my son was born by emergency section after being in induced labour for 2 days. He was 8.3 lb and 2 weeks early. I only have narrow hips and I'm a little worried the reason he was stuck is because my pelvis couldn't do it. So if I go to full term or even over this time I'm sure baby will be even bigger. I have spoken to a friend of the family this wknd, who is midwife and she was shocked that I am only 24 weeks because of the size of bump. She actually looked concerned!! She knew the ordeal and stressful labour I went through last time that left me exhausted for over a week and she thinks I should definitely go for a planned section as she thinks this would be the safest option. Considering all the risks like rupturing etc. I just dont know what to do, I was planning to have a natural birth but I want to do what's safest for both of us!!
Has anyone experienced both an emergency and planned section? And how did they compare?
Thanks!!! Xxxx

Haven't had the experience yet but am booked for a planned in 3 weeks after emergency c-sec with my previous. Consultant was excellent and suggested it before I did. x

Ah, I'm glad to hear the consultant was good!! I have moved hospitals because I wasn't very impressed with them last time so I'm not sure what they will be able to tell me. Can I ask why you had to have an emergency c section? Was it similar circumstances? Xxx

I lost my waters on the friday without knowing, went in with reduced movements and they scanned me and said they had gone. Was admitted and given pessary then given another next day. Started to feel some pains so they put me on a monitor and his heart rate kept dropping so was rushed in for a emergency. He was 36 weeks. x

I have other health problems now (arthritis) and the consultant was worried about how I would manage physically with a natural birth so advised me to go for a nice planned one this time. lol. xxxx

Thanks hun! Ah mine was due to waters going early too.
I suppose I will just have to see what the consultant says xxx

they may offer you scans to check fluid levels this time I have had growth and fluid level scans at 32 and 36 weeks so might be worth asking. xx

Yeh I measured a lot bigger than I should have with my son too and had a growth scan at around 30 weeks ish. Everything was fine though, just a big baby.
I really don't know what to do! I hear so many lovely positive vbac stories but lots of good planned c section ones too! I'm just so worried about making the wrong decision!! Both have so many risks involved xxxx

Last edited:
hey hun

i had emergency c section first time around through fetal distress after being induced and labouring for 33 hours :)

i was peterified of going through the same ordeal again and really wanted to experience giving birth but i still opted for VBAC and it was the best decision i made, i went into labour on my own and 6 hours later baby was born without complications even though he was back to back and i only had gas and air :)

my only advice to you would be how many children do you want? can you cope with looking after your other child and new baby after a section, esp when other half goes back to work and ur on ur own!! and maybe talk it through with consultant on the pro's and cons of both as talikng it through with consultant may make you feel more at ease with the decisons you make xxx

Thanks Hun, this is really helpful. I think I'm going to request a growth scan around 34 weeks to help me decide. I'm hoping they will be able to advise better then xxx

I have never had labour, but only planned C-sections due to a previous op, I had no choice. Compared to an emergency section, (not that Iv'e had one), I would have thought everything is soo controlled, you get our date, so calm and planned , so it happens mostly to textbook.

I have had 4 sections now, and I desperately would have loved to experiance natural labour, if id had the chance I would snap it up for VBAC, you only get the choice this time round, if you have any more after 2 sections, then that's that, out of your hands, so worth thinking how you would feel if you didn't manage to achieve natural birth at some point. Ive come to terms with it now, but still feel a bt strange when other ladies are talking about birth, (like a fraud) and they say god you havn't experianced pain then! (like go and have a section then ladies!, it's the same but different). Plus the one thing that still boters me, is what do I say to my daughter , how can I help her when her time comes, what if she asks me to be a birth partner !! arghhh I have no idea , I didn't manage it

sorry to go on, just wanted to let you know how I felt not ever having natural

I had an emergency section, then waited til my 2nd was 10 days overdue trying for a VBAC before I gave in and made them do an elective section.

It was much easier to cope with, a bit strange coming in to hospital at 8am and having baby less than 2hrs later though, and a bit more difficult to put up with them sticking an epidural in when you aren't in labour in the first place if I'm honest.

I think babies not being able to fit through the pelvis is very rare, isn't there a scan they can do for that?

Hey kat, could I ask... Do you know the reasoning behind why you had the section? Like was it fetal distress? Or another reason? Just so I can give a better answer :) xx

Hey kat, could I ask... Do you know the reasoning behind why you had the section? Like was it fetal distress? Or another reason? Just so I can give a better answer :) xx

Hey Hun, it was down to failure to progress after being in labour for 2 days. Also they could feel swelling on the babies head indicating that he was stuck. Not sure if this was down to his position or size, it doesn't say in my notes. He was 8.3 1/2 and 2 weeks early xxxxxx

Hey

I had an emergency section with my first baby 13 days overdue and never passed 8cm, I was topped up with a spinal injection too much put to sleep and lost 13litres of blood resulting in 2 blood transfusions. My daughter then arrived weighing 9lb13 and me being slim at the time presumed she couldn't have fit through.

I was worried all the way through 2nd preg about another big baby n convinced myself she would get stuck so the hospital scanned me at 36 and 38 weeks telling me at 38 weeks baby was 8lb5 I opted for a section but then my biggest fear was blood loss the surgeons assured me though planned are much safer and being awake through it does also.

The experience of going in for planned section is so scary and I was literally shaking and felt sick but a doctor stood at side of me calmed me down talked me through it all couldn't feel a thing and went swimmingly ok although 45 mins seemed to last for ages. My 2nd daughter then arrived weighing 8lb14 so I was glad after all that ip did. Quick recovery after it too.

Xx

Hey

I had an emergency section with my first baby 13 days overdue and never passed 8cm, I was topped up with a spinal injection too much put to sleep and lost 13litres of blood resulting in 2 blood transfusions. My daughter then arrived weighing 9lb13 and me being slim at the time presumed she couldn't have fit through.

I was worried all the way through 2nd preg about another big baby n convinced myself she would get stuck so the hospital scanned me at 36 and 38 weeks telling me at 38 weeks baby was 8lb5 I opted for a section but then my biggest fear was blood loss the surgeons assured me though planned are much safer and being awake through it does also.

The experience of going in for planned section is so scary and I was literally shaking and felt sick but a doctor stood at side of me calmed me down talked me through it all couldn't feel a thing and went swimmingly ok although 45 mins seemed to last for ages. My 2nd daughter then arrived weighing 8lb14 so I was glad after all that ip did. Quick recovery after it too.

Xx
Ah it sounds like you had an awful time with your 1st! Thanks for sharing with me. It's such a tough decision to make! Xxx

My elective c section was a very positive experience, no stress, safe, controlled environment and the recovery wasn't as half as bad as I imagined x

My elective c section was a very positive experience, no stress, safe, controlled environment and the recovery wasn't as half as bad as I imagined x

That's great to hear! Thanks Hun!! I can't believe how tough I'm finding it to decide! X

ive had a planned c section and im having another they are fantastic and so relaxed, you will go into hospital 2 days before where they will go through the plan and give you your medication, the following dayyou will take it and you will not be able to eat after 10pm and nothing to drink after midnight.
the following day you will call the hospital early in the morning and they will tell you togo in, you will get a private room with a bed toilt etc to wait in, they will keep checking on you,
they will give you a time they will come and get you and about half hr before the surgeon will come in to explain whats happening.
you will then go into theatre where they will sort you out and call your partner in.
you will then be sent into the recovery roon with your baby to rest for an hour before going onto the ward xx

ive had a planned c section and im having another they are fantastic and so relaxed, you will go into hospital 2 days before where they will go through the plan and give you your medication, the following dayyou will take it and you will not be able to eat after 10pm and nothing to drink after midnight.
the following day you will call the hospital early in the morning and they will tell you togo in, you will get a private room with a bed toilt etc to wait in, they will keep checking on you,
they will give you a time they will come and get you and about half hr before the surgeon will come in to explain whats happening.
you will then go into theatre where they will sort you out and call your partner in.
you will then be sent into the recovery roon with your baby to rest for an hour before going onto the ward xx

Wow, that's so relaxed!!! Xxx

I was given the choice of a planned section after the awful crash section last time. I declined and am going for a vbac.
Another section is not for me x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back