can you actually afford to have a baby?

I also think that benefits should be equal to minimum wage, or less! This would encourage people to go back to work, to take the jobs that are just above minimum wage because it means there's more money coming it. It's totally wrong that people can get more money on benefits than working. It makes a mockery of the people working 40+ hours a week.

Agree, but they also need to help parents who want to work with affordable childcare x

Agree 100%

Cos childcare is extortionate I work 3 nights a week and am going back to college in September by working those 3 days I am going to be £200 worst of each month than if I was on full benefits I currently can't afford to loose that amount of money. The way the system is is so unfair and I'm having to consider leaving work and going back on benefits so I can afford to look after my daughter. Not everyone chooses to be on benefits and in most cases the blame can't be put on those claiming I hate being judged for being on benefits but when I come and work I'm worst of it doesn't make sense. Some people screw the system, some people have children so they don't have wi work but most of those on benefits just want what's best for their children and that could mean they have to stay on benefits but it doesn't mean we should be judged for that at the end of the day we all just want what's best for our children x

God I soooo understand where you are coming from.
I pay £240 per week for childcare.
I went onto entitledto.com and I really wish I hadn't as I'd be quite comfortable on benefits - that's not right.
There needs to be a serious review of childcare for working parents.
Soo many people work just to pay for childcare, it's soul destroying isn't it x

I can't understand why this is so inflammatory. Most of us in this thread have tended to agree that if you have worked and contributed and fallen on hard times then you should claim what you're entitled too, similarly if you are medically unfit for work. From what I have read, it's the abuses and abusers of the system that gets people's backs up. The problem is working people especially in these economic times will react strongly to those that don't and won't work as they are paying for these families directly from their salary. If you are on benefit there's no need to be defensive about it, it's tough for everyone at the mo. I think most of us would agree that if we can barely afford to look after ourselves it is irresponsible to plan bring a bundle of joy into the world. Love doesn't pay the bills yet money isn't everything but there is the middle ground.

Last edited:
Makes me feel sick I'm loosing out on time with my child so I can work to give her a better life but ultimately were worst of x

Makes me feel sick I'm loosing out on time with my child so I can work to give her a better life but ultimately were worst of x

This is what upsets me the most hunnie, I just have to remind myself that I am trying to do the best for my family.
I hate leaving them every day, especially when they are so little.
Another help for parents who want to work would be more flexible working times, I know this isn't always possible in some jobs x

Speaking from experience, most nursery staff are on minimum wage (or just above it) so how do you reduce child care fees without making the nursery staff worse off? The government need to make a bigger contribution, but then taxes go up even more! It's such a vicious circle.

I can't understand why this is so inflammatory. Most of us in this thread have tended to agree that if you have worked and contributed and fallen on hard times then you should claim what you're entitled too, similarly if you are medically unfit for work. From what I have read, it's the abuses and abusers of the system that gets people's backs up. The problem is working people especially in these economic times will react strongly to those that don't and won't work as they are paying for these families directly from their salary. If you are on benefit there's no need to be defensive about it, it's tough for everyone at the mo. I think most of us would agree that if we can barely afford to look after ourselves it is irresponsible to plan bring a bundle of joy into the world. Love doesn't pay the bills yet money isn't everything but there is the middle ground.

:thumbup:
EXACTLY what I was saying hun x

Speaking from experience, most nursery staff are on minimum wage (or just above it) so how do you reduce child care fees without making the nursery staff worse off? The government need to make a bigger contribution, but then taxes go up even more! It's such a vicious circle.

They are on a very low wage but the nursery makes massive profits!
I know this as a doctor at work has left to open a nursery because there is sooo much money!!! x

When I looked at childcare cost so I could go to work, it would mean every penny I would earn would cover the child care. That too me seems pointless why should I pay someone who's going to do a second rate job in bringing my children up in direct comparison with me?
Child care cost need to be looked at.
For instance my sister can only afford to work part time, she works as a nursery nurse and has to pay the nursery she works at,half of her wage back to them for looking after my nephew! Ehhh??!! She Is 20quid a month better of for doing this then of she were to stay on full benefit.My sister purely works to get out of the house not because it's a financial gain, I applaud her for this, personally I would rather be a SAHM till my kids reach school age and then I will probably spend the rest of my days working.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I know this as a doctor at work has left to open a nursery because there is sooo much money!!! x

Big companies being greedy, while the little staff that keep everything going and work hard for not a lot in return!

When I looked at childcare cost so I could go to work, it would mean every penny I would earn would cover the child care. That too me seems pointless why should I pay someone who's going to do a second rate job in bringing my children up in direct comparison with me?
For instance my sister can only afford to work part time, she works as a nursery nurse and has to pay the nursery she works at,half of her wage back to them for looking after my nephew! Ehhh??!! She Is 20quid a month better of for doing this then of she were to stay on full benefit.My sister purely works to get out of the house not because it's a financial gain, I applaud her for this, personally I would rather be a SAHM till my kids reach school age and then I will probably spend the rest of my days working.

Agree, it's a messed up system and sooo unfair for those who want to work.
I worry that this will never change.
It's heartbreaking to look at how much you have to pay each week x

Big companies being greedy, while the little staff that keep everything going and work hard for not a lot in return!

Exactly this!
The girls at my kids nursery work soooo hard, long hours and some really difficult children. Not forgetting the massive responsibility of caring for someone else's child!
Yet they get paid buttons, it's very very wrong x

I think it's irresponsible to ACTIVELY ttc if money is tight regardless of whether you are claiming benefits or not. We're currently claiming benefits and can barely afford food, DH is applying everywhere he can, so I get frustrated with the people who play the system and can buy designer clothes etc without having to work when we're struggling and desperate for a job! We wouldn't actively ttc in our situation as it would be an awful situation to bring a baby into and we most certainly couldn't afford another baby right now.

At the nursery I worked at, staff got a 15% discount off their child care fees. 15%!!!

Could I afford to have Aoibheann ? Nope but she was an un expected blessing.
Could we afford lily ? Yes ... Or so we thought.
I can't work as I can't have her in nursery it's too risky and too expensive and I'm not claiming any benefit aside from the child benefit that everyone in the country has automatically . We would love to have another child but it's not financially possible for us at the moment.
Having children is a blessing and a joy it's also a privilege and a huge responsibility financially. I totally understand that benefits are in place to help people get from a bad place to a good one.
What blows my mind is people who are not working and who do not want to work who decide to have a child .
Why should families who work insane hours and miss out on valuable moments struggle when other families choose to stay at home and let others take care of them ?

Why should families who work insane hours and miss out on valuable moments struggle when other families choose to stay at home and let others take care of them ?

This is the situation I'm in x

This is the situation I'm in x

It makes me so angry for you :( my oh is the same he works up to 60 hours a week to support us and pays crazy taxes .
Then I feel like muck because I cant help out by working.

I agree with what someone else said - i dont think you can ever really afford them lol, we both work (i am on maternity leave atm) money is tight but she doesnt want for anything, luckily my parents spoil her rotten! They have bought her travel system, cot and mattress and will be buying her next size car seat. Although i have to say i never really knew the cost until she was here!

I am hoping to go back to work, although i dont know if i can afford childcare and bills on my wages but we will manage xx

This is just a small forum, but look at how much frustration there is about the way the system works. Imagine how much frustration there is throughout the whole country!

This is just a small forum, but look at how much frustration there is about the way the system works. Imagine how much frustration there is throughout the whole country!

That's true, and the harder things become with the economy, the harder it becomes for people to get by - the more frustration x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back