can you actually afford to have a baby?

No I couldn't afford my child, I was at uni she was a happy accident. Income tax goes in a hell of a lot of other things not just benefits. I've just gone back to work and am going to be in minus £200. Would I have another, yes if I was in a position wherei could justify having another I would. I'm on benefits (though I'm loosing them) and it makes my angry sme of the replies most people don't choose to go on benefits infant theres only a few people that do (which I don't agree with) and talk like this is saying that people on benefits don't deserve a child. What if a couple had been working and financially secure paying their taxes then one day they both loose their jobs and fall pregnant ? They may now not be financially secure but they worked hard, paid their taxes and now it is them asking for help would you stop them from having a child? Probably not.

I think everyone has the right to havea child along as they can provide a secure loving home with all the basics. Not just those in secure jobs, there's not many out there and rose who do work are bloody lucky it's taken me 18 month find a minimum wage job !

Falling pregnant by accident or finding yourself on benefits because you have been fired etc is totally different to ttc whilst on benefits though isn't it x

I agree with that ur I also think thereare other situations where a family should be able to ttc and be on benefits what about if you're disabled because you're on da should it stop you from having a family x

saying everyone has a right to have a child is utterly insulting to those ttc for years and years and the heartache that goes along with it.

Last edited:
I agree with that ur I also think thereare other situations where a family should be able to ttc and be on benefits what about if you're disabled because you're on da should it stop you from having a family x

Not at all, people with disabilities should be supported as far as possible.
I'm talking about people who are able to work but don't.
Both mum and dad are on benefits and ttc purposefully knowing that their children will be paid for by the state x

saying everyone has a right to have a child is utterly insulting to those ttc for years and years and the heartache that goes along with it.

How is it ? I neve even mentioned those ttc for years I think those who need help should have that help and support in having a baby everyone that wants a child deserves a child my parents tried for 5 years to have me so I do know the heartache they went through and infact your comment is rather insulting putting words that I didn't actually write. Sadly you can't play god.

I think everybody has the right to have a baby and I don't think it's right people label others and put them into boxes. Why should people whom are on benefits not be allowed to have kids? I pay my way and my husband works very hard but that does not give me the right to play god and decide who does and does not have the right to have what might be a very longed for child. Being a good parent goes far beyond what's inside your wallet. Someones I think people think because they pay taxes ect they have a god given right to judge others when they no nothing about them other then how they get there paycheck. To me that is wrong.

I think everyone is entitled to have a child, that isnt in question, the issue is about responsibility!! I cud have had a baby 9 years ago when I first met my hubbie but we couldnt afford it so we waited till we were in a position!! If you are on benefits then I would like to think (with a few exceptions) that you are making an effort to get off benefits and therefore can wait to have a baby till you are in a better position.
xxx

I think everybody has the right to have a baby and I don't think it's right people label others and put them into boxes. Why should people whom are on benefits not be allowed to have kids? I pay my way and my husband works very hard but that does not give me the right to play god and decide who does and does not have the right to have what might be a very longed for child. Being a good parent goes far beyond what's inside your wallet. Someones I think people think because they pay taxes ect they have a god given right to judge others when they no nothing about them other then how they get there paycheck. To me that is wrong.

Exactly

I have to say that I don't think having children is 'a right' in many senses. I have never considered it a right but a blessing, and never took for granted that I would be able to have a child. Partly because that right can be abused, do you have the right to have as many children as you want yet be dependent on the state to feed and clothe them? Where does the right to have a child end? I have no problem people being on benefits who have fallen on hard times, who are unable to work for whatever reason, but I do baulk at people having not just one but in some cases several children whilst not contributing towards them financially in any way and not intending to change that in the future. In areas around here there are several generations of families for whom living off the state is a way of life and there is no drive to work, no motivation to gain that sense of self worth your own income (and by that i mean family income regardless of the earner).

Couldn't agree more I'm sick of been labeled when people donnt know my story& I know others that get labeled but people don't know their life& they say most people on benefits wouldn't work Id bet there's less that want to be on them than those who dont have a choice.

& please someone let me what benefits these people going abroad on holidays are claiming coz we defo don't claim enough to go on holiday!

& how do you know that having a baby might not give them people who apparently don't deserve to be on benefits the confidence, chance & courage to change & have a positive life.
(moral of this story is dont judge what you don't understand & treat others as you'd like to be treated would you want people labeling you & slagging you off)

I agree it makes me so angry these lazy ppl that just want to sit on their ass all day! I have worked full time since 16 and paid my taxes and I found myself in a situation where I needed to claim JSA to help me out, never claimed it b4 but thought it would be easy as so many ppl get it. I got asked about 100 questions to then be told I would have to sell my house b4 they would give me anything and to top it off I got monitored weekly and had to report to sum1 on the jobs id applied for, I thought how dare I be treated like that wen I have always paid my taxes! I don't even live in my house my 86 yr old retired grandma does so no way I could take her home away xxxx

I agree it makes me so angry these lazy ppl that just want to sit on their ass all day! I have worked full time since 16 and paid my taxes and I found myself in a situation where I needed to claim JSA to help me out, never claimed it b4 but thought it would be easy as so many ppl get it. I got asked about 100 questions to then be told I would have to sell my house b4 they would give me anything and to top it off I got monitored weekly and had to report to sum1 on the jobs id applied for, I thought how dare I be treated like that wen I have always paid my taxes! I don't even live in my house my 86 yr old retired grandma does so no way I could take her home away xxxx

But they see that as if you can afford to pay for a house or for a house for someone else then you must have money, you only get 50 pound a week from JSA so if you can afford a house then that is nothing and you don't need it as much as people who have no money at all or very little.

But they see that as if you can afford to pay for a house or for a house for someone else then you must have money, you only get 50 pound a week from JSA so if you can afford a house then that is nothing and you don't need it as much as people who have no money at all or very little.

Problem is coco some people work hard for what they have, they don't want to lose everything they've ever worked for, everyone hits hard times and it's wrong the government pay people who have never contributed towards tax, and turn away people who have ALWAYS worked but just need a little help to see them through a tough patch, which they strive to get out of x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Problem is coco some people work hard for what they have, they don't want to lose everything they've ever worked for, everyone hits hard times and it's wrong the government pay people who have never contributed towards tax, and turn away people who have ALWAYS worked but just need a little help to see them through a tough patch, which they strive to get out of x

Quite right. People who have worked all of their lives deserve every penny when they fall on hard times.
Why should she have to lose her house? Something she's worked hard for, when you have people who have never worked a day in their lives who get housing paid for and money to live off on a weekly basis?
I personally think that they should assess how much people have out into the pot and base benefits on that.
So if you've never put anything in, you get very little out.
Obviously not classing disabled people in this x

I'm not saying she shouldnt get help im just saying that's how that see it, if you have savings that should get you by til you have a new job.

Quite right. People who have worked all of their lives deserve every penny when they fall on hard times.
Why should she have to lose her house? Something she's worked hard for, when you have people who have never worked a day in their lives who get housing paid for and money to live off on a weekly basis?
I personally think that they should assess how much people have out into the pot and base benefits on that.
So if you've never put anything in, you get very little out.
Obviously not classing disabled people in this x

She shouldn't have to lose her house, i'm not saying she shouldnt get help im just saying they see it as if she has savings then that should tide her over til she has a new job.
I don't think it's fair to judge other people who have housing paid for etc, not everyone gets opportunities, some people have rubbish grades, struggle to get a job and then after so long they wont employ you because you have no work experience etc, some people get in a situation where they have no choice, getting your house paid for and having just enough money to food, gas and electric is not a lifestyle many people choose.

But she's being told she should lose her house when she's worked damn hard for it when some don't work a day in their lives and get their housing paid for?
I'm sorry but that is bullshit and an absolutely screwed up system!

And I think you massively underestimate just how many people do chose not to work as a 'lifestyle choice' and absolutely rinse the system.
It's very naive to think otherwise.
(not including genuine claimants here)

And I think you massively underestimate just how many people do chose not to work as a 'lifestyle choice' and absolutely rinse the system.
It's very naive to think otherwise.
(not including genuine claimants here)

No i dont think she should lose her house, I do think she should get help I was only saying how they see it, not how i do.
Also yes some people do choose to live like that, but you dont get much money, yes things are paid for and you get help with things but you dont get to treat urself and have holidays etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back