c-section to avoid get induced?

I choose induction too, I really want a natural delivery, but I have had it stuck in my mind that the birth will ultimately end up as a c-section (purely down to family history, and at 40 weeks + 5 days, baby had NOT moved anywhere into the pelvis!). I truly hope it doesn't end up that way, but my thoughts will be for mine, it'll be a long slog aiming for the natural and will ultimately end up as a section - love to be wrong though!

I am 41+1 today and have not had any sort of internal examination, no scans since 20 weeks, nothing. I'd have gotten a sweep at my 40 week appointment if baby was further down - but that would have been it. Induction booked for 17th and super nervous... though strangely more about having to stay overnight in hospital than about the actual induction hehe.

I think if your induction is managed properly you shouldnt end up an emergency section!

Hospitals are too quick to slap you on the drip and confine you to a bed. Thats just asking for a section IMO x

The way I see it is this. You try an induction, you have every chance of a normal delivery. You go for a section, you're getting a section. So if you aren't bothered about having a section, go for induction. If it ends in a normal delivery - great, if it ends in section, well you were going to book a section anyway????

I choose induction too, I really want a natural delivery, but I have had it stuck in my mind that the birth will ultimately end up as a c-section (purely down to family history, and at 40 weeks + 5 days, baby had NOT moved anywhere into the pelvis!). I truly hope it doesn't end up that way, but my thoughts will be for mine, it'll be a long slog aiming for the natural and will ultimately end up as a section - love to be wrong though!

I am 41+1 today and have not had any sort of internal examination, no scans since 20 weeks, nothing. I'd have gotten a sweep at my 40 week appointment if baby was further down - but that would have been it. Induction booked for 17th and super nervous... though strangely more about having to stay overnight in hospital than about the actual induction hehe.

I think that once you know you are going down the induction route it is very important to know how things can end up / worse case scenarios etc... but I also think it is very important to think positive and give your body a chance to do what it is built to do.

I've added some extra notes about induction to my birth plan as I am heading that way as well... I'll get my induction date tomorrow

xxxxxxxxx

I think the ladies point is that she would rather plan a section than go for an induction and then have to get an emergency section as they pose greater risks? - but I still see a section as a section whether planned or unplanned and would avoid if I could.

A section for most is usually last resort..

xxxxxx

I think the ladies point is that she would rather plan a section than go for an induction and then have to get an emergency section as they pose greater risks? - but I still see a section as a section whether planned or unplanned and would avoid if I could.

A section for most is usually last resort..

xxxxxx

Yep, I think this is what the OP was trying to say as well BUT the counter argument has been that the vast majority of inductions (65% by fab's own stat's) will not end in emergency c-section and this is the point she seems to overlook.

It's all well and good to want the option to have a c-section but the argument that it's because inductions fail and emergency c-sections are more dangerous is verging on scaremongering IMO.

I am not sure how far along fab is? She mentioned her 28w appointment around 22nd October??? So it could all be a moot point for her anyway however there are people here that have been through it / could soon be facing it and I think the OP could benefit from the opinions of these ladies.

xxxxxxxxx

Oh definitely, I am in total agreeance with everyone it was just as Cos had asked what's the difference between it ending in an emergency section anyway so was just saying.

Personally I don't see how someone can look at a figure that says 35% inductions end up in sections and think that is a valid reason for having a section since its less than half?

I am not sure how far either, but didn't think that labour was discussed that early on ?

Xxxxx

I've read through this and can't get my head around wanting a c section. I understand women can be scared of child birth and the risks it poses etc however to me this is why women are here and this is what our bodies are meant to do. It looks like I could be heading for induction also, and while I would rather my body labour naturally without gels and tablets if that is what is needed to kick start a natural birth then so be it.
I think sweeping from 38 weeks sounds rather early espcially if baby hasn't engaged and is in he incorrect position? Also it puts too much stress on yourself wanting to have had baby by 40 weeks, my opinion btw. I won't get a sweep till Thursday when I will be 41+2 failing that induction will be Sunday 18th.

I just think c sections have so many more risks than induction and if possible should be avoided?!
You only ever here of terror stories from other people about child birth and sadly not many good stories which is probably why women do get scared of child birth. I for one will tell anyone I can about my labour if it is positive :)

Good luck Fab with whatever happens x

Sweeps don't generally work unless the body is ready to labour anyway x

I thought sweeps were only done providing all was healthy and well AND overdue ?

I'm sure if all people could get early sweeps they would - I have read some ladies being over due and finding it hard for their MWs to see and sweep them until they are over a certain point ie 41 weeks ? ..

Xxxxx

Most mw's will only sweep after 41 weeks. I'm yet to come across one that will do it earlier x

That's what I thought.. I remember my cousin was in agony and overdue by a few days and they made her wait before they started sweeping.

Xxxxx

That's what I thought.. I remember my cousin was in agony and overdue by a few days and they made her wait before they started sweeping.

Xxxxx

My midwife said to me that is 50% chance of working from the day your due any earlier is pretty much no chance of working, in my area they will not do a sweep before 41 no matter what, this was discussed when they where debating if i should be induced early due to bubs size even if they wanted her early they wouldn't sweep they go straight for induction, luckily i wasn't and had her one day overdue and had a brilliant labour and so glad i didn't push to get baby early because it was worth waiting 24 hours for a two hour labour with hardly any pain. --- mrswoody read my birth story its a positive one :) x

Last edited:
The variety of when sweeps are offered is astounding.

Some ladies are offered them from 38w (only if they can be performed though, body HAS to be ready) my trust are strictly 41w onwards and you go to the prolonged pregnancy clinic which deals specifically with overdue women.

I am in the same boat as mrswoody, I will be having a sweep tomorrow @ 41w and induction will be between 17th - 19th, although if there are any issues it could be sooner?? I'll know exact date tomorrow :shock:

I am going to push to wait until 42w for induction if I can, I want to allow as much time as possible to go naturally...

xxxxxx

The variety of when sweeps are offered is astounding.

Some ladies are offered them from 38w (only if they can be performed though, body HAS to be ready) my trust are strictly 41w onwards and you go to the prolonged pregnancy clinic which deals specifically with overdue women.

I am in the same boat as mrswoody, I will be having a sweep tomorrow @ 41w and induction will be between 17th - 19th, although if there are any issues it could be sooner?? I'll know exact date tomorrow :shock:

I am going to push to wait until 42w for induction if I can, I want to allow as much time as possible to go naturally...

xxxxxx

Its such a hard position because on one hand your sick of pregnancy and want baby here but on another you could have a wonderful natural labour if you wait a few days - good luck with your sweep :D x

Last edited:
I'd hate people to read this thread and be scared of induction.
Please don't be.
I would go as far as to say that my induced labour was my best and easiest yet!
I was scared of induction before but it was great. I felt so relaxed knowing that my every contraction and baby hb was being closely watched by the mw (even though she wasn't in the room, she watched the screen from the desk!) and I wasn't used to being so closely watched. Previous labours I felt very unsupported, left alone a lot and anxious. Not this time, it was great, gave me lots of comfort.
Also, because you are monitored closely, if a section is needed, they know in lots of time and it isn't a "panic situation" as such (I asked!).
If there is a panic situation, ie baby getting stuck etc, well that would have happened without induction xx

I am not scared of induction as such but I am not keen on the idea of how it all works - there is sadly a lot of evidence to support the notion that the chemicals introduced into your system during induction do not mimic the hormones exactly are they produced in labour (which are specific to each individual woman) making it a more painful experience.

Your body is effectivley being forced into doing something it is not ready to do?

However I know it doesn't have to be a Godawful experience and I know that if baby is running late they do need some encouragement as you cannot just let them stay put.

I am going to try and be open minded, but I know what I'd prefer!

xxxxxxxxx

I agree, its the idea of being forced into labour that makes me want to be induced less. But I know once way or another baby does need to get out, preferably before it gets too big and if that means I need an induction so be it.

I have never heard of any horror stories such as baby's dying or being born with defects due to an induction until this thread? But its not put me off xxxx

Red bear..I will do! I've heard a few good labour stories :)
To be honest I'm not scared of labour as such I think I'm more petrified of the point when I'm like right I'm in labour. I'm actually looking forward to it..call me mad i know! Lol

I just hope thi baby gets a shift on, and Carnats, so we can avoid the induction!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back