c-section to avoid get induced?

Fab

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

I was wondering if you can help me.

I'm terrified of getting induced especially as a high percentage turns into an emergency c-section anyway. So I was wondering whether it's possible to choose to have a c-section rather than getting induced?

I know I have the right to choose a c-section over a vaginal birth, but not too sure what my rights are when it comes to induction.

I haven't got any advice but just to say I've been wondering this too! Hope somebody knows more!

Last edited:
I was induced and I now wish I hadn't pushed for one as it ended up with a c section.

Honestly if you have the chance to go for a vaginal birth in the first place over a c section then do it! It's horrible struggling to breast feed because of the pain of where you have been cut in half and its awful struggling to care for your baby in the first couple of weeks because of the pain you are still in.

I would personally never ever push to have a c section! Not all inductions end in a c section! Xx

My hospital don't do elective c-sections so it is not something I'd have a choice about. If I go 2 weeks over my only choice is induction.

I'd give it some more thought hun? With an EPI induced labour can be just fine - whereas a c-section is surgery after all :shock:

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Yeh i wouldn't worry about induction because its only if you go far overdue and by then you won't care, plus you can have the epidural which they would use to do the c section anyway so you may as well try the vaginal birth first ifykwim? Then again i was talking to a mum today who was induced with her 4th after the others without induction and she said it wasn't any worse for her. x

Last edited:
I was induced at 39+1 as my waters went at 38+5 and I didn't go into labour. I ended up with a very normal delivery but was convinced I was going to end up with a c section. So just to say induction isn't always a bad outcome.

I was induced as I went two weeks over and although it was painful I'd still do it again over a c- section

They're classed as major surgery and as hunnie said limit you to what you can do.

I ended up with an assisted delivery (forceps) in theatre but is still go for a vaginal birth again

You've got nothing to lose by trying and if it doesn't work you'll have a c section. I'd also say there probably isn't that high a percentage that go to c section after inducing

I'd always try induction over C-section. I would only ever go with a c-section if there was no other choice. I was up and walking around and doing house work 2 days later after being induced with my son. My friends who have had c-sections need lots of help after the baby is born.

I was induced and had a great birth . I would avoid a c section unless its necessary x

Hi again,

Carnat22, according to the new NICE guidelines (Autumn 2011) all hospitals have to give you the option for an elective c-section. It will cost the hospital more as the NHS will only give them one amount for a birth regardless of the method, hence a lot of hospitals will push for a vaginal birth.

I don't prefer a c-section over a vaginal birth, however, I am terrified of getting induced. Not so much because of the pain etc. but the damage it could potentially do to my unborn son.
Unfortunately, we have some pretty horrific stories that our close friends have experienced, where one baby girl died as she was induced too late and another couple now have a severely handicapped boy as he was stuck and suffered from lack of oxygen.
Moreover, my colleague and her mum nearly died when her mum was induced with her.

In terms of % of induced births that turn into an emergency c-section then it's around 35%, which I think is too high.

Anyway, I can conclude that nobody knows :)

Last edited:
Hi again,

Carnat22, according to the new NICE guidelines (Autumn 2011) all hospitals have to give you the option for an elective c-section. It will cost the hospital more as the NHS will only give them one amount for a birth regardless of the method, hence a lot of hospitals will push for a vaginal birth.

I don't prefer a c-section over a vaginal birth, however, I am terrified of getting induced. Not so much because of the pain etc. but the damage it could potentially do to my unborn son.
Unfortunately, we have some pretty horrific stories that our close friends have experienced, where one baby girl died as she was induced too late and another couple now have a severely handicapped boy as he was stuck and suffered from lack of oxygen.
Moreover, my colleague and her mum nearly died when her mum was induced with her.

In terms of % of induced births that turn into an emergency c-section then it's around 35%, which I think is too high.

Anyway, I can conclude that nobody knows :)

Im afraid there are those risks with most births, when my friend went in for her pre c section appointment because her baby was breech (i was there with her) she signed a list as long as your arm of potential risks to her/baby from a c section.

The least risky is a natural vaginal birth, which if there is nothing to say you won't have personally i wouldn't take the risk to go for a major operation.

My birth story was posted a couple of days ago. I was induced had an epidural (fab stuff) and ended up having a c section as Jacobs heart rate had dropped and also i had stopped dilating. There was no hesitation with doctors I went straight for c section as the contractions were not giving him time to recover.

Doing it again I would be induced first before a csection but with an epidural and try for a natural birth but keeping open mind I might still need a section. I never would have managed on just gas and air. Then if you did need a section you already have the epidural in place.

Being induced ramps up the intensity of birth but try not to worry. I still found my labour really positive and I would be fine about being induced again xx

You don't have to be induced but you need to discuss this with your midwife about your options. I was so excited about meeting LO I couldn't have waited any longer! xx

Why are you terrified of getting induced? Sorry if I've missed it x

Sent from my shit hot phone! Fo shizzle home girls.

Ive had two very safe inductions. Not all inductions end that way...if you express your concerns, then the midwife will talk you through them. You and baby are well monitored throughout the induction process so you wold be in safe hands!

I personally wouldnt choose a c-section because of the risks to myself and also to baby ie breathing problems, risk of surgical damage etc...and also the recovery time when you have a newborn on your hands!!

I think you really need to sit down and discuss your worries with your midwife x

Don't opt for C-section, unless in the end it's needed, then it's needed - that's another whole can of worms hun - major surgery, wet lungs risk (grunting), from surfactant in lungs not being squeesed out via labour, 4-6 weeks off driving due to insurance, (esp tricky if you end up with a scbu baby). recovery time and harder to look after baby when your looking after yourself too. Ive had 4 sections and I would love a shot at a natural labour, hell just getting into the car to get homes a challenge to a section lady!!

Talk it through, and let them reassure you about your fears, it's only natural to be scared X

Why are you terrified of getting induced? Sorry if I've missed it x

Sent from my shit hot phone! Fo shizzle home girls.
Because of the risks involved for you and your baby when being induced as well as the fact that around 35% end up in emergency c-section regardless.

^^ what about the risks associated with MAJOR surgery?

I would definitely choose induction over c section as its a major op. With monitoring you lo will be fine, i wasnt induced but lo's heart rate kept dipping during contractions and he was closely monitored incl blood test for oxygen levels
There always be horror stories but it doesnt mean c section is safer

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I can only go by my experiences. But on requesting my elective c-section (maternal request but baby is also breech so would need one anyway!) I had an meeting with the consultant and I had to but my case for requesting an elective c-section forward, all of which had to be written down and discussed.
I also had to sign my consent form and boy is that scary, the amount of complications to baby and myself are huge.

When I first asked my MW for a referral to discuss c-section I was shot down, she tried to promise me the world in exchange for not having the section. Luckily I had a consultant meeting anyway due to kidney problems.

Although the guidelines have changed, hospitals still refuse to do elective sections. You do have to fight for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back