c-section to avoid get induced?

I'd hate people to read this thread and be scared of induction.
Please don't be.
I would go as far as to say that my induced labour was my best and easiest yet!
I was scared of induction before but it was great. I felt so relaxed knowing that my every contraction and baby hb was being closely watched by the mw (even though she wasn't in the room, she watched the screen from the desk!) and I wasn't used to being so closely watched. Previous labours I felt very unsupported, left alone a lot and anxious. Not this time, it was great, gave me lots of comfort.
Also, because you are monitored closely, if a section is needed, they know in lots of time and it isn't a "panic situation" as such (I asked!).
If there is a panic situation, ie baby getting stuck etc, well that would have happened without induction xx

I can't agree more. Although iv never had a 'natural birth' I loved being induced. And I had the full 3 pessaries, that was the worst bit. But from the minute I was on the labour ward a midwife didn't leave my side. Yes I was hooked up to a monitor but it was very reassuring knowing my baby was getting monitored so closely... And for the delivery I had 2 midwifes incase there was an emergency. But there wasn't. My recovery was amazing. Iv felt on cloud 9 since the birth of my baby.
My friend got induced tho and had 1 pessary inserted and her waters broke and she managed to have a water birth.xxx

Please don't be.
I was scared of induction before but it was great. I felt so relaxed knowing that my every contraction and baby hb was being closely watched by the mw (even though she wasn't in the room, she watched the screen from the desk!) and I wasn't used to being so closely watched. Previous labours I felt very unsupported, left alone a lot and anxious. Not this time, it was great, gave me lots of comfort.
Also, because you are monitored closely, if a section is needed, they know in lots of time and it isn't a "panic situation" as such (I asked!).
If there is a panic situation, ie baby getting stuck etc, well that would have happened without induction xx

Aww very reassuring. My MW said it can take a few days for some inductions to work - at which point I almost wept. Can it happen quickly?

Please don't be.

Aww very reassuring. My MW said it can take a few days for some inductions to work - at which point I almost wept. Can it happen quickly?

My first induction was 9 hours, second 2 hours 49 minutes so it can be quick lol x

Please don't be.

My induction took 6 hrs from start to finish - my quickest yet x

I think what the MW means by a few days can be if you need the pessaries inserted to prepare the cervix. I went into hospital at 9am on the Friday Morning, and my baby was born at 2.38am on the Sunday Morning. But my actual labour was only 6/7 hours xxx

Just came back from my consultant app today and everything went well - well, according to my wishes. :)

We have agreed that they will start sweeping me from week 38 to give "nature a helping hand", as the consultant put it, and if I haven't gone into labour by 40+0 then I will have the option to either;

a. Get induced
b. Get a c-section, which will be booked in case I choose this
c. Postpone my c-section to a day later in my pregnancy I feel comfortable with
d. Wait until I go into labour and/or follow the normal "routine" for women being over due

Seeing the consultant in 3 weeks again and if I still feel the same way, then they will put it into my birthing plan. Words can't explain how relieved I am.

To other women who are sharing the same thoughts as me, then I can tell you that the consultant was so kind and understanding and to quote her "you have obviously read the NICE guidelines and you have the right to an elective c-section and we can't refuse that".

However, she also understood, unlike most women in here, that I'm not opting for a c-section as a default but actually hoping for a natural birth hence they are going to start sweeping me from week 38 and still have the option for an induction by 40+0 if I feel more comfortable about it by then.

I must say I am very impressed with your hospital if they are giving you all of these options and the fact they were discussing elective c-section versus induction at your 28 week appointment??? :shock: :shock:

At my hospital you get the following:

* no sweeps until 41w if you are having a healthy, low risk pregnancy
* appointment at prolonged pregnancy clinic once you at least 4 days overdue (you will have MW appointment, ultrasound to check placenta and waters, internal scan to check cervix, you are offered a sweep and given an induction date)
* induction offered ideally before 41w 5d but does not have to be accepted

I was advised very early on that elective c-sections are NOT routinely offered at my hospital (http://www.uclh.nhs.uk/OURSERVICES/SERVICEA-Z/WH/MAT/Pages/CSonrequest.aspx)

As someone who looks to be heading towards being offered an induction I have re-read through this thread with interest and although I really DO NOT want an induction, I want a c-section even less!!
During my last midwife appointment I said I wanted to discuss my birthing plan. They tried to fob me off and say you don't discuss this until week 36, but I insisted and said I thought that week 36 was too late as had these concerns.

After having discussed it back and forward, I got an appointment with a gynecologist consultant, as per the NICE guidelines, which I had last Friday and the above refers to the appointment with the consultant and not the midwife.

Have you gone through the process of speaking with a consultant?

I think what the MW means by a few days can be if you need the pessaries inserted to prepare the cervix. I went into hospital at 9am on the Friday Morning, and my baby was born at 2.38am on the Sunday Morning. But my actual labour was only 6/7 hours xxx

This is what I mean... and this also makes me want to cry. I want it all to happen so much more quickly. I know labour happens fast when it happens, it's just waiting for the induction to work. I can't stand the thought of it not working the first time and waiting so long for the whole process - I've waited long enough already!

Impatient, I know. But I will be 42 weeks pregnant by then.

This is what I mean... and this also makes me want to cry. I want it all to happen so much more quickly. I know labour happens fast when it happens, it's just waiting for the induction to work. I can't stand the thought of it not working the first time and waiting so long for the whole process - I've waited long enough already!

I know what you mean... But if you think about how long you can be in labour for before you get to hospital it could just be the same :) if you went into labour it could be longer xxx

I know what you mean... But if you think about how long you can be in labour for before you get to hospital it could just be the same :) if you went into labour it could be longer xxx

True true. But, grumble! I just want my baby, I am too impatient for childbirth and inductions hehe.

And that was just me... I know people who have been induced and 1 tablet and there on there way xxx

True true. But, grumble! I just want my baby, I am too impatient for childbirth and inductions hehe.

Enjoy every minute of it... Baby will be here before you know it xxx

I want there to be a POOF and cloud of smoke and baby arrives no pain all smiles lol

I wish....

I want there to be a POOF and cloud of smoke and baby arrives no pain all smiles lol

I wish....

When they lye that little baby on you it really makes it worth it... I'd do it again in a heartbeat xxx

To be honest im not fearing it all that much its more the not knowing when etc i know baby needs to come and however he does that is fine whether by induction or not - i hear as soon as baby is born you forget the pain xxxxx

During my last midwife appointment I said I wanted to discuss my birthing plan. They tried to fob me off and say you don't discuss this until week 36, but I insisted and said I thought that week 36 was too late as had these concerns.

After having discussed it back and forward, I got an appointment with a gynecologist consultant, as per the NICE guidelines, which I had last Friday and the above refers to the appointment with the consultant and not the midwife.

Have you gone through the process of speaking with a consultant?

Well I am glad they have taken you seriously.

It just goes to show how a bit of research helps!!

I am perfectly happy with the policies at my hospital so I have no reason to see a consultant. I don't want a section, am happy to wait for an induction date etc...

I guess like the majority of patients I put a lot of faith in the professionals, however I have done my own research and I do agree with the way they do things (of course every situation is different so each case needs to be looked at on it's on merit!)

xxxxxx

Also the stat I have been given in my literature from the hospital is that only 1 in 7 sweeps prevent induction??

View attachment 27616
Sorry, didn't have time to read up on all the posts at work today.

I know sweeps will not guarantee a natural birth but happy to try it out, if I should be the one among those 7 :)

Hmm as far as im aware unless you have had a previous section or a very good reason, safetly for you or baby health probs, probs in pregnancy ect you don't have a choice of a section.

Tbh it's not a choice you should make lightly IF you did have a choice, its major surgery and higher risk also the recovery is not easy. its not something they will just let you have and its not an easy option trust me.
Have you read the NICE guidelines? If you haven't then here's a link: http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/13620/57163/57163.pdf
My midwife immediately referred me to see a consultant as soon as I said that I've read the guidelines although she did try to talk me out of it.

And the consultants response was "you've obviously read the guidelines and you have the right to an elective c-section and we can't refuse you that".

So yes, one does have the right to an elective section.

Last edited:
I think the ladies point is that she would rather plan a section than go for an induction and then have to get an emergency section as they pose greater risks? - but I still see a section as a section whether planned or unplanned and would avoid if I could.

A section for most is usually last resort..

xxxxxx

Yep, I think this is what the OP was trying to say as well BUT the counter argument has been that the vast majority of inductions (65% by fab's own stat's) will not end in emergency c-section and this is the point she seems to overlook.

It's all well and good to want the option to have a c-section but the argument that it's because inductions fail and emergency c-sections are more dangerous is verging on scaremongering IMO.

I am not sure how far along fab is? She mentioned her 28w appointment around 22nd October??? So it could all be a moot point for her anyway however there are people here that have been through it / could soon be facing it and I think the OP could benefit from the opinions of these ladies.

xxxxxxxxx

Oh definitely, I am in total agreeance with everyone it was just as Cos had asked what's the difference between it ending in an emergency section anyway so was just saying.

Personally I don't see how someone can look at a figure that says 35% inductions end up in sections and think that is a valid reason for having a section since its less than half?

I am not sure how far either, but didn't think that labour was discussed that early on ?

Xxxxx
Think you both understand where I'm coming from although you don't agree with my decision, which is fine.
Just want to add another point which the consultant also said "we believe that the well being of the mother is as important as the baby, and listening to what you've I propose the following options..." and that's when she gave me the options of sweeps and then I have the choice at 40+0 whether I want to go ahead with my section of go for inductions.

The fact that they really listen to you and your concerns and give you a birth plan you are happy and comfortable with; means the world to me.

This is the reassurance I needed and and a million good induction stories couldn't make up for it.

Last edited:
Yeah i understand what you mean and wish u well in your labour whichever way you go :) xxxx

Yesterday I went to a birthday lunch where there was a girl who is giving birth at the same hospital as me and she is due exactly one month after me - to the date.

Anyway, they already have a 2 year old son and she told me that she has opted for a c-section, which is already booked in for 39+0 (they won't do it any earlier than that). She has chosen this because of her last birthing experience, which was an induction and she simply told her midwife that she refused to to give birth naturally again and she had, like me, done her research and read the NICE guidelines and she didn't meet any resistance at all once she referred to the guidelines.

Also, my hospital also scans you at 32 weeks, which I know is not something that is offered at all hospitals, so all in all I'm really glad of my choice of hospital :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back