Breast feeding, yay or nay?

jld123

Reaction score
Hiya

was just wondering who of you all are planning on or are already breastfeeding your children?

I always thought i wouldnt until i actually fell pregnant and now im undecided.

What are the benefits, pro's & cons etc.

ta!

When I first fell pregnant I wanted to but kept wavering. I've decided not too for a really good reason which I can't be bothered explaining again. There's lots of ladies on here who do though and I really admire those who battle on with it. I know there's heaps of good reasons, although can't remember off the top of my head. But I'm sure someone will come on and share there experiences.

X x x x

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Hi,

This is my breastfeeding journey http://www.juicefm.com/content?id=456
If you start at week one from the link just under the competition details.

I've got absolutely loads to add to it and should be updated this weekend.

Personally, I love BF and makes me feel very proud. Whatever you decide don't let people bully you either way. It's your decision.

X

Ps - don't forget to enter the competition too! Our online comps don't usually get a massive response so good chance of winning.

I wasn't sure if i wanted to breastfeed or not but now i have done for 3 months and i love it! it was a struggle to begin with but now its so much easier, cheaper than formula and there's no bottles to sterilize! x

im really looking forward to it :) this will be the 1st baby ive tried it on and i honestly wished id tried with the other the girls on here are so supportive if you need any help or are unsure just post a question and you will get alot of responses pretty quick too :)

benefit for you

lowers your risk of getting breast and ovarian cancer
naturally uses up to 500 calories a day
saves money – infant formula, the sterilising equipment and feeding equipment can be costly
can help to build a strong bond between you and your baby

benefits for baby

• less chance of diarrhoea and vomiting and having to go to hospital as a result
  • fewer chest and ear infections and having to go to hospital as a result
  • less chance of being constipated<LI sizcache="0" sizset="77">less likelihood of becoming obese and therefore developing type 2 diabetes and other illnesses later in life
  • less chance of developing eczema
ray of light ive entered the comp :) cant wait to read the updates of your blog too

Ah thanks! Soon as he's finished feeding and down I'm definitely updating! X

God I'm not! Usually gets done about 2am! Shaun's on Daddy duty whilst I do it. A lot of the time I write bits on my phone whilst I'm feeding. Pretty much like now really. The times I'm on here I'm usually feeding at the same time! That's why I love this pillow I use. Keeps one hand free!

note to self buy a good pillow haha

aww i like daddy duty my dh feels he is going to miss out because im going to breast feed this 1 (hes a very hands on dad) ive told him there is still loads he can do i dont think he belives me, its proberly a good thing though as my d.s is very much a daddies boy and doesnt let me do anything for him he wants daddy to do it haha so at least he wont get jealous when its me doing the feeding

Reading Gems blog makes me want to try BF. Grrr lol. X

Reading Gems blog makes me want to try BF. Grrr lol. X

haha it does doesnt it ive already told my dh he is banned from making mooing noises and i will not allow him to have th econtrol of the breast pump unless i can whack it on his nips lol

I love breastfeeding personally. I've been lucky in that Lilly has taken to it like a duck to water but it is tough, especially when its during the nights. I do love the bond that is building between us though :D

Good luck in whatever you ladies decide to do though :)

xxx

I wamt to do it but think I will express rather then actual breast so I can see what little mans drinking x

Yup I am! I fed DD and intend on feeding little legs when he or she arrives! However if things dont work out and I cant feed as long as I hoped I wont be beating myself up about it but hopefully it will al be ok again xx

I fully intend to breastfeed because I can't justify paying for milk that your bodies make for free, if formula wasn't invented we would have to do it, it's completely natural, no sterilising and washing bottles, not so much colic or wind worries, YOU as a mother have to eat healthily (which think is great for us all) it burns 500 calories a day (when I teach aerobics I aim for the same calories to be burnt in a class), you don't have to wait for warm milk, it's there and ready at all times, the bond is clearly amazing from seeing others doing it, the list goes on for me.

Rayoflight's blog is a book marked page on my Internet because it's very inspiring, it's real life and it is full of tips! Well done Gemma :) I think it's a great help to all to read because everything that happens is all in there. Ps, will try your on line competitions I think!! Haha! X

I wont be feeding this time round. Dont want to totally restrict myself to always feeding little man think that was fine when i only had Connor but this time would like my Oh to be able to feed and be involved. Its all down to Personal choice.

im planning on combining breast and expressing so that my oh can do some night feeds :) (he offered!) one thing that i havent seen mentioned so far is that if you can get your baby to breastfeed within the first hour after birth you (supposedly, my mum told me this, but she does know a lot!) pass a copy of your imune system and other important thing to the baby through the milk, hence them being healther then formular feed! so even of you decided on formula feeding still might be worth trying to breast feed in the critical hour!

i personally never liked the thought of breast feeding. im gonna sound a little 'unmaternal' maybe but it creeps me out a little. i dont know why and i cant explain it. even if theres a woman out and shes bfeeding i end up staring. not in a rude away but i have this fine line in my head between fascination and creeping me outnesss! And i dont even meant o stare and im sorry if anyone were ever to catch me doing it....however i tried it and i psomised J that i would at least try it. It does have lots of immunity that gets passed on. However i couldnt do it. it was too weird for me and i struggled lots with it and as it was something i wasnt particularly happy with i stopped. i think its because im very very private about my body and the thought of getting a boob out just felt wrong and i personally didnt like the feel of it but i just had to at least try it.

On formula feeding, it is slightly more hard work in the night however once you set up a routine with it its fine and has really worked for us. its meant that phil can be alot more hands on and isnt just the nappy changer and ill never forget the first time he fed him and he looekd at me and say 'omg im feeding him....'i dont have to bother with bfeeding friendly shirts etc. We have been really lucky that J gets prescribed milk so its free for us. Formula feeding isnt detrimental to a babies health and we had to monitor what he was feeding very specifically for a week and ff helps or if yo uexpress and use a bottle.

Whst i would say is do whats right for YOU. I was made to feel horrendously guilty and made to feel ashamed of myself for stopping bfeeding and i spent days crying. m y milk took ages to come hrough and so had to top it up with formula anyway at first and was told instead of doing that keep him o nthe breast. i couldnt cope with it and i was being what felt like blackmailed in to rubbing my boobs whilst feeding, express milk straight after a feed take alsorts of suplements and it was horrible and as well ruined my perception of bfeeding.

i called my mum one day and she told me 'formula is not detrimental to a babies health - what do yo uthink women do who cant bfeed?'

I spose all im trying to say is that dont feel pressured one way or another, just do what you have to. sorry if that was a ramble.......XXX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back