Bottle or Breast

-Cat-

Reaction score
Ive found it quite interesting chatting to people on this site about the topic of feeding. Although there is always this huge push on breast is best, and midwives seem to look at you disapprovingly if you plan to bottle feed but I have still found a lot of mums and mums to be are taking the bottle fed route. Its never occured to me to bottle feed if I can help it, as there are so many benefits for mum and baby to breast feed, plus my mum did and my sister in law do, so its just like its assumed I will too. However In other ways I rather like the idea of bottle feeding, so OH can join in with feeds and allow me a bit more freedom, plus a bottle fed baby needs feeding less frequently.

So anyway I have put up this poll, and would like to know your reasons as well for why you have made your choice.

So are you planning on Bottle or Breast Feeding???

Well my bf says he would prefer me to bottle fed so he can join in, but im thinking maybe i will go for breast maybe for the first couple of weeks or so, and then on to bottle, well that depends on if the baby takes to breast at all. Have also thought about expressing milk, but to be honest, I have to say im not to keen on breast feeding, i dont know why, i just dont know if i like the idea! :? I know its normal and natural etc but i just dont know, maybe its just me :roll:

As a trainee breastfeeding counsellor I have to recommend the breast. It is no doubt the best thing for your baby and you can always express so your partner can join in so don't let that be a reason for using the bottle.

They say babies need less feeds with formula and the reason is this, for a baby having formula it's like us having a big plate of fish and chips - stodgy and filling where as having breast milk is like having chicken, salad and new potatoes so you may not feel quite so full for quite so long but will be healthier.

Some women really struggle with breastfeeding and it's not the right thing for everyone but its worth giving it a go. If we buy a new pair of shoes we give them a couple of weeks to stop rubbing - most women don't give breastfeeding that long!! Think about it!!

Have a look at this:

http://www.promom.org/101/index.html

Much love

HI Cat

Shouldn't really be in here as i'm not yet pregnant but that's just another thing! I will be soon... hopefully

I was always for bottle! A few girls in work who recently gave birth opted for the breast. They lasted a few weeks before turning to the bottle. They all said they felt they'd given their babies a good start by breats feeding even though it was only for 4 to 8 weeks! I still wasn't confinced till i read Kerry's post now I feel a little different! Think when my turn comes i'll give it a go - so i'm voting for the breast!

Well done Hayley!!

All you can do is try.......but try and give it a little bit longer than a new pair of shoes!! :wink:

Hello...
This is my 3rd baby and I'm hoping to breastfeed! With my first, I gave up after 2 weeks (struggled a lot), but with 2nd baby - breastfed her for 18 months. I loved it.
If you're worried about your OH not being able to join in, express some milk in the evening and give him a shot at it! I know it doesn't work for everyone, but breastfeeding is best option for me and baby. I use to love my daugther patting my breast as she suckled. A truly wonderful experience! :D
Emilia x

I really really want breastfeeding to work. My Mum had bad experiences both times she had babies and just couldn't get on with it but talking to her she got no support and quite badly when she had me no one showed her how to hold me in a good position to feed and she wasn't allowed to leave the hospital unless she could prove that she could feed me ok and since she was struggling they told her she'd be better off with a bottle and gave her something to stop her milk :(. I don't think she did much better help-wise with my little brother either.

She seems keen to prepare me for it not to be possible but I just don't know how optimistic I'm being about being able to do it- my midwives seem really very supportive and I'm very determined as I think it will give me and the baby freedom after we get the hang of it. My brother and I also have cow's milk intolerance now- he had dreadful colic as a baby and Mum thinks it could well have been the formula milk that was upsetting his tum even then so I have an extra reason for wanting it to work. I know it can be tricky but surely women managed pre-formula...?

+++

My first has cows milk lactose intolerence and was bottle fed on Soya formula. I was only 18 at the time and the idea of breast feeding then repulsed me.

I'd decided to breastfeed our second, but he ended up being tube fed a pre-digested formula because of milk protein intolerence. I still breast fed up to about 6 months, because, even though he couldn't digest my milk, there was a chance that the antibodies were helping him.

We decided to bottle feed our third right from the start, mainly because the problems the other two had become apparant sooner on formula. She hasn't had any problems so I really wish I'd breastfed her.

Rosebay, if you've got a history of milk intolerence in the family, persevere with breastfeeding. It seems to be all the boys in my family that are affected. Daniel (our first) was on normal formula for three months and still suffers now. Callum was initially worse (protein and lactose intolerence) but because he was put onto the pre-digested formula very early, and didn't have any dairy products until he was two, he can now eat more or less what he wants. The hardest thing was keeping my own diet dairy free to stop it getting into his system.

We're breastfeeding this time. If it's a girl, everything should be fine. If it's a boy, I'll stay dairy free and we'll see how it goes.

i neva even considered breast feeding i think its disgustin (no offens)lol
my littl girl is on bottles already an she hardly drinks anyfin anyway

Hi!

I want to breast feed for the first 3-4 months and then bottle feed the baby once back to work. I do not beleive though that breastfeeding the baby allows you to bond better. My mum treid with my brother but she did not get any help and it was so painful she decided to bottle feed him. With my sister and I she did not even try to breast feed us and we love our mother to bits!!!!

So I will give it a go and was planning extracting some milk to put in a bottle so my b/f can feed him at least once a day, will see what my midwife will say about this!!!

There are also some great breastfeeding helplines with counsellors ready to help you if you get trouble with feeding at any time day or night.

Association of breastfeeding mothers (ABM) - 0870 401 7711
Breastfeeding Network (BFN) - 0870 900 8787
La Leche League (LLL) - 0845 120 2918
NCT - 0870 444 8708

They are always more than willing to help and may just have the answer to your problems so make a note of the numbers just in case.

Much love

I breastfed my son for about 5 months, and loved it. I wasn't looking forward to it but just thought I's "give it a go"
It's so much easier, the bond you feel is great, plus all the goodness and antibodies you're giving your baby make it so worth it.
I can understand people feel a bit funny about it, but my advice would be to at least give it a go. I really loved the feeling that, even though he wasn't inside me anymore, I was still nurturing him.

When I eventually went to bottles (I couldn't fill him up anymore!) I was gutted at how much hassle it was, washing, scrubbing, sterilising the bottles, making up the bottles, warming up the bottles......!
I was lucky to at least have enough milk left to feed him in the night, I couldn't imagine getting out of bed and sorting the bottle out for him!

Saying that, it just doesn't work for some people, and many midwives put moms under unnecessary pressure to succeed at it. My friend got herself into a right state over it, when she should have been supported in a decision to go over to bottles.

Second time around for me now.. hoping it works OK, and the baby gets the hang of it nice and quickly.... fingers crossed!

Hiya Cat

Definately a personal thing and with my five I have both bottle fed and breast fed. With my first son I breast fed for about 2 weeks but I was so poorly that I had to give up. I then went on to bottle feed my next two daughters (much to the disgust of my 15 year old that I didnt breast feed her!!) and then finally with my last two girls I breastfed for about 8 weeks as after this I was failing to produce much milk.

Think the plus's outweigh the negatives and I will be feeding this little one myself. One thing I do remember very much was the amount of weight that fell off me, I know it doesnt happen to everyone but I was lucky. Apparently you burn up an extra 500 extra calories a day.

I would definately say give it a try and if its not for you, then bottle feed instead and certainly dont let anyone make you feel guilty.

Incidentally there is a brilliant article on Breastfeeding/Bottlefeeding in this months edition of "Mother and Baby"

Good Luck all of you

Ragna

As soon as I found out I was pregnant with Ava, I knew I'd at least try breastfeeding as it really is the best for the baby. She latched right on in the hospital and done pretty well, but the day I was discharged from the hospital I developed a spinal headache from the epidural that had me in agony for a few weeks so my DH took over most feeds. She's doing really well on formula and she even slept through the night last night(11pm-6am)!

I will give breastfeeding another go with our next baby because for the very short time that it lasted, I felt a bond like no other with Ava.

Also, I know some people want to breastfeed but also want hubby to be included as well. Once your supply is established you can start pumping some feeds, so don't let that reason alone put you off of breastfeeding.

Hi,

I'm also considering breat feeding (though this might have more to do with the fact I am quite disorganised and hopefully I won't forget to take my boobs with me....) but I also understand that at times for whatever reason it doesn't always go to plan so I would use formula if I am unable to. I would prefer breast feeding though.

Futuremum, could you let me know what you midwife says as I would also like to get OH involved in the feeding. I think that its not recommended for the first few weeks but it should be ok after that??

The rule of thumb is normally that it is fine to express milk once breasstfeeding is well established - this is normally between 2 to 3 weeks but may be more or less for some women. Once you feel that breastfeeding is going well then give it a go - some expressers are better than others and some women find expressing much easier than others - it's all about trial and error and just giving it a go!!

LOL Kerry, you certainly used the right technique to get to me. Im a heathy eating nut, so I'm up for the 'quality feed' not fish and chips!
Im on a mission to get breast feeding to work for me, as it seems the best option all round. The problem will be returning to some sort of part time work. I know so many people who havent been able to express, so if I cant get that to work then when I return to work I will have to resort to a mix of breast and formula feeds.
On the breast feeding video I watched it showed women expressing from one breast whilst feeding from the other, I though this seemed a good idea, as feeding on one side should stimulate the other side more, so I will try this.
My midwife said its fine to express once the baby is sucking happily from the nibble, and only after then as other wise it may never get the hang of the nipple and prefer the teat. and if the baby wont feed at all from the breast to start with you can help by using a little cup or spone, so that it encourages sucking still, without getting it used to teat first.

Hiya

Ill be honest I always had problems with expressing. I seemed to sit for hours with just a few cm going in a bottle. Not sure whether it was the technique or I never had enough milk? This time I might try an electric pump and see if that makes a difference.

Ragna xx

They do say electric ones are better - you can hire them too to keep costs down!!

im going to breastfeed but after the first 2 weeks (so he's used to it) i'll express his last feed b4 bed o hubby can do it. that way he can get used to a bottle as well so that i can go out and leave him with his grandparents or dad for an hour or so. not sure i can just breastfeed as it must be very demanding and exhausting not to be able to do anything alone incase baby needs a feed. :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back