Best bottle for feeding expressed breast milk?

Kirsty.Y.84

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I am planning on breast feeding, but would like to express so that hubby can give the baby one feed per day. I have been looking at bottles, but there are so many to choose from, I literally have no clue what I am looking for!

Has anyone who has already had a baby got any pointers or recommendations for which bottles are best for breast milk?

Will be interested to see what responses you get because i want to do the same x

Stalking this thread! X

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Me too!! Will be good to hear from mums that breast feed and express.

xx

I just used 4oz advent bottles I started off with size 1 teat although we quickly moved on to a size 2 as she was greedy monkey.xx

Last edited:
WE bought the medela ones but he never liked them as you have to suck really ahrd to get them to work, he was ok with the tomee tipee ones and the advent ones so they would be my recomendations. I would buy the bigger size ones as harrison is only 11 weeks and he takes over 200mls so the little ones would be a waste of money!!
xxx

I found I had most milk available between7 and 8 am and she was always sleeping soundly by then so I expressed 2oz into two bottles which oh used to feed her at teatime so I could eat or sometimes later so I could have a relaxing bath , It worked well and is really nice for dad and baby time together.

Last edited:
i have no idea - the mil bought me tomee tipee closer to nature bottles, so unless they are completely wrong i'll be using those because it says that the teat imitates the flex and stretch of a natural breast

Yes I think it was about 5 months we moved on to the 8oz bottles , we began adding in a formula feed which she took to straight away as it was the same bottle and the same time of day , I will warn you though some breast fed babies will not take a bottle of breat milk or formula no matter how hungry they are , my suggestion is to start really early week 1 or 2 and try and make it routine.xx

I don't really think the brand of bottle really makes alot of differance, make sure the treat is a fast flowing age appropriate , then I think you'd be fine.xx

I am using the Tommee Tippee closer to nature ones for expressed milk and my formula top ups. Evie has been fine with these, but then she's a pretty easy going baby and as long as she's getting her milk I don't think she'd mind either way!! She'll even take it cold from the fridge!!

wow, hellywelly you are lucky Evie sounds a total delight. bless her ,for long may it last xx

Last edited:
We used the avent bottles as well. It's best to give a bottle every day though... We went three days without a bottle and she has completely refused the bottle for the three weeks since! It doesn't matter how hungry she is, she won't take it.

I tried every bottle with my first son but he would only take the NUK bottles which I think is to do with the teat most mimicking the nipple due to its shape. They're also one of the best for reducing colic I think. My 4 week old has taken to the NUK bottles like a duck to water too though he only has a bottle about two - three times a week at the moment. The only downer with NUK is they're not as readily available as Avent or Tommee Tippee and a little more expensive, but they've worked for us.
Good luck!!! Xxx

I breastfed and used tommee tippee closer to nature bottles, she switched between the two fine x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

Thank you for all your replies ladies. And I hope some of you other mummies to be found some useful info too :)

From what most of you are saying, Avent or Tommy Tippee would be fine. I am concerned about baby rejecting the bottle though, so I might have to look into these NUK bottles as I've not heard of them.

Also, this might be a silly question, but when you express, if you were to freeze the milk, would you store it in a bottle in the freezer or in some other container? And does anyone know how long it lasts for if you were not to freexze it?

Sorry so many questions, but I really have no idea on these things!

Thanks xx

When you freeze it you use milk storage bags which you can get with most brands, think it lasts for 6 months in the freezer!!
xxx

I stored it in fridge for the day ,what didn't get used was decanted to sterile plastic pots and frozen that same day. I would then defrost for 1 minute in microwave decant back to sterile feeding bottle and warm as usual. I'm not sure how long you could keep it frozen for mine never seemed to be in the freezer more an a week or so.
As i said before I suggest you start to use a bottle in week 1 or 2 as the earlier the more likely baby will except it if they won't it's really hard on you. 3 of my 5 would not have a bottle ever breast feeding 24/7 alone is really tough going . Good luck xx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back