Blake Daniel Ray - 21/11/10 Hypnobirthing

Rayoflight

Reaction score
First of all I'd like to say a huge thank you to all the wonderful ladies (and a couple of gents!) on pregnancy forum who have been a constant source of support throughout my pregnancy.

As many of you know, I did a hypnobirthing course with my husband and I will shout it from the rooftops forever about how wonderful it was. The single best, most rewarding and valuable thing I've ever done and the best £250 we have ever ever spent.

Maureen my hypnobirthing practitioner asked me to write up a testimonial for her website seeing as I had special circumstances and was officially her longest labour! It's weird saying that because I was that calm and in control that it doesn't feel like we had special circumstances at all - just a very enjoyable and wonderful birth. In tota I was in labour for just over 54 hours. It seemed to fly by though and in a very strange and weird way I enjoyed every single minute. Blake was back to back (posterior) so the contractions were very strong. However, thanks to the absolutely amazing techniques we learnt through Maureen and the hypnobirthing course I coped absolutely fine. I was, and still am absolutely amazed at the difference the breathing and relaxation techniques made. There were a few times when through sheer exhaustion and pain that I just held my breath and went out of my birthing body temporarily. With the help of my husband Shaun, as soon as he brought me back and got me relaxed, doing the hypnobirthing surge breaths again the pain literally went away! The midwives had never been present at a hypnobirth before so they were all in awe of Shaun and I working together through our breathing techniques and the painful contractions. One of the midwives actually got quite emotional and tearful watching us and said she'd never seen two people who looked more in love and happy through a contraction! ha ha.

We'd planned a home waterbirth and on the first day of labour I spent a good 8 hours in the pool in the dining room. We had candles everywhere, Maureen's voice on the stereo in the background taking us through the Glove technique and Birth Imagery tracks. No disrespect to the great hypnobirthing founder Marie Mongan but I couldn't listen to her American 'Golden Girls' voice at all during the labour so I was so so grateful that Maureen had recorded some tracks for us as it felt like she was there in the room with us, a friendly voice reassuring us through each contraction.

To cut a (very very!) long story short, my labour had come on so strong that my cervix actually swelled rather than dilated and I never progressed further than 3cm. After 50 hours of labour I was taken by ambulance to the Liverpool Women's hospital where they broke my waters and I was given an epidural as they were worried I'd been in labour so long without sleep and was exhausted (I felt OK though!). They offered me diamorphine or pethadine first but Shaun recalled Maureen saying that an epidural was a much better choice than opiates so we went with an epidural which allowed me some respite for the first time in two days. The staff were fantastic. They took the time to read through our birth plan and follow our wishes to the letter. The room was kept dark, midwives and doctors addressed us both and left us to discuss all options with each other and they treated us with the utmost care and respect. Very shortly after having my waters broken, we noticed the baby's heart rate dropped dramatically with every contraction. Unbeknown to us at the time, the cord was wrapped round his neck and with each contraction was tightening and causing his heart rate to drop. The medical staff guessed this and became concerned so it was quickly suggested that we needed intervention to deliver the baby safely. All options were discussed, my wishes taken into account and I was able with the help of Shaun feel for the contractions and push our baby into the world. The doctor had advised that forceps and an episiotomy may have to be performed but I was determined this wouldn't happen and with the help of Shaun we felt for the contractions and I birth breathed like mad to get my baby out! A ventouse was needed to aid him out but I was so pleased to avoid the episiotomy and forceps. I had a slight tear and needed just one stitch.

Blake Daniel Ray entered the world at 2:04am on Sun 21st November weighing 7lb 4oz. Even though we didn't get the home birth we'd originally wanted, the hospital experience was honestly wonderful and at no point did we feel stressed, upset or out of control. I have been shouting it out from the rooftops about Hypnobirthing to anyone who will listen since the birth. It is honestly the most wonderful technique that I have ever learnt and I think EVERY pregnant woman should do this. Shaun and I feel that not only did we learn valuable relaxation techniques that could help us in various other situations in the future but most importantly it educated us so we knew exactly what to expect and what was happening within my body. It was a wonderful valuable lesson that I am eternally grateful for. Yes, it was a long time in labour but there's no horror stories to tell here - just a fabulous, beautiful birth. And yes, I'd do it all again tomorrow!

Ladies reading this who are pregnant I hope I'm proof that a long labour doesn't have to turn out bad.

I still can't believe he's here, he's ours and I still get teary and fill up when he looks at me with his big blue eyes. The overwhelming feelings of love and pride are the strongest emotions I've ever felt. Also I never ever thought it was possible to love Shaun more but this experience has brought us so close together. It's a wonderful feeling, our lives feel complete!

Gemma & Blake
Xxx

Last edited:
What a beautiful story Gemma, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us :) xx

awww im so happy you are pleased with your experience!! well done mummy and congrats to both of you!! XXX

lovely story thanx for sharing it xxx

That's such a lovely story Hun! Congrats again and a huge well done x x

I wish I had looked into hypnobirthing earlier now! Lovely story, very positive. Congrats. X

Thanks ladies!

Tapatalk driving me mad been trying to post pics.

Hopefully this will work...

5284f812-8f98-ad1f.jpg

5284f814-8fc0-872e.jpg

52848b43-8fdd-93db.jpg

And the joys of parenting...

52848b43-9003-3245.jpg

:) Great story and :rofl: at your last picture!!!
We didnt manage to get on a course but I have been doing the hypno birthing cds at home, hope that it helps me even a fraction of the amount it has helped you.

He's soo cute, lovely birth story but im really not looking forward to the pooey nappies xx

Great story, thank you soooo much for inspiring me to try the hypnobirthing, I think even just remembering to stay relaxed will help me immensely! Lovely pics, brilliant last one!
How does your hair look so nice in all your pics? You have a newborn, it shouldn't be allowed :p

A beautiful birth story :cloud9: Sounds like you coped brilliantly hun, and I love the name, well done xx

Congrats honey x I love his name!!! I have been advocating the British natal hypnotherapy since doing it so I completely know where you're coming from! x

Fantastic story, thank you so much for sharing. It sounds like such an amazing experience and you coped fantastically. I hope I have such a positive story to tell after my own home hypnobirth! (...and yes, how do you look so amazing in those photos!?)

Great story hon and love the pics too! Reading this is keeping me going!!! x x x

Awww beautiful story hun! He's gorgeous! The feeling you have when they're here is absolutely amazing isnt it!

Aw gorge pics hun and a lovely story, what a long labour. Well done. He is gorgeous! xx

Beautiful birth story! You did amazing!! Your joys of parenting picture made me LOL :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back