Hypnobirthing

LucyBee

Reaction score
We've just spent the day on a wonderful hypnobirthing course. It was so good - really relaxing and has totally changed my feelings about the birth.
Has anyone else heard of or experienced hypnobirthing?
Lucyx

sartet said:
Are you deciding on a mainly drug free birth, if you can help it. No epidural etc?

Before today I thought I would definitely go for an epidural as early on as possible. Now I think I'll have much more of an open mind and see how we manage to control the pain using the techniques we learnt today.

It was quite expensive but I thought that it would be a lovely way to spend a couple of days (have to go again next Saturday) and would give my OH more of a role in the whole thing which it definitely has.

We were taught some really powerful relaxation techniques and positive thinking. There was a midwife on the course who had booked because she had seen ladies who were practising hypnobirthing have substantially reduced labours and much happier and easier births.

Evidence shows that labour times can be cut dramatically using this method.

I just decided that if it helps - even just a tiny bit - for us to have a more positive and happy birth then it's money well spent. And it was such a lovely day!

Lx

PS: Here's a good site with more info on the research in to it...
http://www.hypnobirthing.co.uk/hypnosis ... tml#labour

PPS: Sorry, I sound like a blooming sales rep but it was so good!!

Oooooooooooooo not heard of that before, but it does look really good! Thanks for the link, I will go and explore. Ooooo and another thing, I was having some bloods taken on Friday and the nurse said that her first baby had taken 20+ hours, her second took 8 and her 3rd 30 mins :shock: Although all first labours are supposed to be longer as the body hasn't done it before (apparently, what do I know lol) , she had an epidural for the first one and she reckoned it really slowed her labour up as she couldn't feel a thing and didn't know when to push etc. So I've no idea how reliable that is, as it's just one woman's experience, but it was quite interesting.

I agree, does look interesting.

My mum had the same problem. ended up having a c section becuase the epi made it impossible for her to tell when she should have been pushing.

This looks very interesting. It is the kind of thing I have been thinking a lot about lately (teaching myself certain techniques to get through a natural birth). How great would it be to feel at one with your body, and to be aware of your surroundings, and best of all, feel wonderfully close to your baby afterwards?

Icecream said:
How great would it be to feel at one with your body, and to be aware of your surroundings, and best of all, feel wonderfully close to your baby afterwards?

That's what really appeals to me. Yesterday was sooo lovely. We got to spend the whole day completely concentrating on the baby and thinking positive things. It was a really bonding experience!

Before yesterday I was 100% going for an epidural as early on as possible. Now my mind is completely open to trying out the techniques and going drug-free for as long as poss.

I'd really recommend it. Even for just a lovely, positive couple of days!
Lucyx

I have a hypnotherapy CD which you can purchase directly from their website or from the NCT website. They recommend you listen to it 20 times or more before the birth from 32 weeks onwards. I have had hypnotherapy before and really does work. Have just started using the CD which is so relaxing.

If you can't afford a course then it is an inexpensive alternative at £16. It definitely works and I am planning to have as natural a birth as possible. If you film your labour/birth (you don't need to film anything you are not comfortable with) and send it in then you get £250 as they are trying to promote calmer more natural births.

I really want as little intervention and pain relief as possible. My mum is also a trained reflexologist/massage therapist so am planning on treatment during labour as well, just to stay as calm and relaxed as possible. Would also like a home birth if the midwife lets me!

Sorry for the sales pitch, but it has got to worth a go!

Icecream said:

Lekker! Are you South African Icecream?

Becky - that sounds like a great deal!
I will look in to it.

Lucyx

Ooooooooooooo thanks for the heads up about the cd, I'll give it a go. The tens machine we bought has a really useful booklet with it with pressure points for during labour, and my OH is a trained massage therapist, so I'm hoping to get through without an epidural, but I will see :D

The CD also comes with a booklet with tips etc. which I must admit I haven't really got round to reading properly. They also say it is worth listening to the CD with your OH so that he can pick up on things that he can help with for visualisation during labour.

Here is the link to the site where I bought mine, direct from the manufacturer http://www.natalhypnotherapy.co.uk/1676/index.html

Really quick service as well.

Reading the stories of other women on the website was also quite encouraging, although could just be marketing hype (yes I am a cynic!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back