c section

kimmi2506

Reaction score
hi ladies this might sound like a completly stupid question but can you choose to have a c section just out of curiosity or do you have to give birthy naturally unless medically told otherwise

Out of curiosity? What are you curious about?
I've had both (section was not through choice) and I personally wouldn't chose a section unless I had a reeeeeeally good reason not to have a natural delivery z

You should not take the decision to have a c section lightly. It might seem like an easy option but it carries many risks, and can have a much longer recovery time. You should really read up on it. Elective c-sections are now much more common than they used to be due to change in guidance xx

I was told by my mw that if i wanted a c section just for the sake of it then they wouldnt do it at the hospital im due to give birth in as it would be unnecessary surgery x

I believe you can insist on a c-section if you want one, but they expect you to attend birthing classes etc and will make utterly and totally sure that you are fully informed of all the facts. If they refuse to do it then they have to refer you somewhere that will. Google the NICE website and have a look. As the mother you have the right to choose and have a say how you would like to give birth.

We are pushing for an elective C-Section as I have a whole host of health problems, each of which individual put me forward as a candidate for C-Section, together build a convincing case that a C-Section is going to be the best thing for me from the point of view during the pregnancy (worry), during the birthing process (physical pain and pressure can trigger my attacks) and for me being there to feed and tend my baby afterwards (and not in surgery/ICU).

At the end of the day there are distinct disadvantages to having a c-section over a natural birth, but if you do all the research, take all the classes and advice and it's still what you want then I would trust your instinct and insist on it.

I was told at my early pregnancy antenatal class that my hospital don't do c sections unless there's a medical reason.
Different hospitals approach them differently so if u want to know, u should ask at ur maternity unit.

I'd hate to have to get a section, its one of my biggest fears!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

In reference to them refering you to another hospital that will give you a section if they refuse, I think without a medical reason to back you up then you'll be hard pressed to find an NHS hospital that will do the surgery. You may end up travelling very very far from home for it. In my opinion, if there is no medical need, then it's just not worth it.

I don't know if you can just choose to have a c section. tbh i don't know why you would choose a c section unless you had a good reason. its no way an easy option like some people think. i would much rather have normal delivery than c section, its possible i may have c section due to baby being breech but other than the safety of my baby and myself i wouldnt choose to have c section.

Iv'e had 4 sections and had no choice due to prev ops - please think very carefully about this, I cant compare with labour as Iv'e not had it, but would never have had one unless I had too and I still feel cheated from my natural labour. The recovery even if you handle it well is not great with a baby in tow, theres no driving for 6 weeks which can cause a few probs and establishing BF after a section can be harder, I managed it only with number 4 ! There are also some risks with elective sections over emergencys due to wet lungs with babies, much less if elective only at term or nearly as tho, as they havn't had labour the surfactant (fluid) in the lungs has not been squeesed out and causes them breathing issues - I have had 2 babies with this and being seperated from a baby in scbu is awful , and horendous as a first baby experiance, (one was my first , I coped fine with the other one).

I don't want to lay it on thick on sections, but can't balance it up by commenting on labour as I have had none

Good luck with your area nhs, ask your midwife at booking in about the rules on it

hi ladies i wasnt planning on having a c-section unless i really had to natural birth for me i just want to know weather you could actually ask for a c section
thank you for all your answers but mine still the same au natural for me

Good luck hope you get your normal birth. i really wanted normal birth again this time but sometimes things change and c section is likely ie breech baby lol x

You do what you have to do its not the end of the world if you need c section as long as your baby gets out safely thats most important thing. how many weeks are you? x

congrats have you any more children i already have a 3year old boy so this will be my second

I'm electing for a c-section this time around.
I had a traumatic labor and birth with AJ, I'll not go into details. But I feel it will be better for us to 'know' baby is going to arrive safe and sound.

I'm only 12wks and have already had the mw trying to pressurise us into a 'normal birth', which is their job but it did feel as though I wasnt being listened to.
I have a consultant appointment today, which I presume is to discuss the birth and options, so we'll see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back