Elective c section - anyone requesting one?

bumpy1

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Now, I know some of you will have strong opinions against elective c sections, but I would really appreciate the experiences of anyone who has had one or asked for one on the NHS since the new law came in.

I have known for years that I do not want to have a vaginal birth and not because I am scared of pain, just because it's not for me. When I told my midwife today she made me feel really bad. I knew she would have strong views against it, but I am now worried that I might not get to choose how my baby is born and that makes me feel quite angry.

I know the recovery time and length of hospital stay for a c section is longer, but I feel this is a small price to pay to avoid all the horrible things that can and do frequently go wrong with vaginal births.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

:eh:

Having had both vaginal and c section births, I would not chose a c section. The recovery is so much harder etc. I won't go on because I'm sure you already know all of this.
Not sure how it works with the new law, before it was only those with medical reasons as its major surgery.
Did your mw not tell you how you can elect for one? x

Is there any other reason to wanting a section than you just not wanting it? I know that the NHS are allowing for elective sections but only if the consultant agrees and there is a valid reason ie, not personal choice. I think the only way you'd be able to get a section is by going private tbh.

after seeing the baby in the paper that weighed 14lbs when it was born a C section looks very appealing lol - its your own personal choice i think - im going the natural way but will be having all the pain relif with a epidural i want to experiance what its like to be in labour and to have contractions ..... for a while before i have my epidural. I have not known anyone have problems with either way, its your body and you have the right to choose xx

I don't think c section can ever be classed as an appealing option can it? Nothing about major surgery appealed to me x

if i knew my baby was going to weigh 14lbs like the one in the paper i would have to say that it would be the only time that it would be there is no way i could push a baby that big out of my tush lol x

I have to agree. A c-section is never appealing. Even before having one it was a fear of mine to end up with one.

Have you considered natal hypnotherapy? It might ease any concerns you might have and make you feel more prepared. Yes things can go wrong but the amount of women with no complications is a pretty large number. It can all go very smoothly :)

I think that's very rare and dr has a good idea beforehand if baby is likely to be big. Larger babies are easier to birth than smaller, gravity helps the baby descend x

My midwife said we would discuss it further next time, but she would refer me if that was what I still wanted, though she doesn't think I'll get one. The new law has been put in place to give people freedom of choice I think and you don't need a medical reason.

So why doesn't she think you'll get one if there is freedom of choice? x

I don't think c section can ever be classed as an appealing option can it? Nothing about major surgery appealed to me x

I can see what you are saying, but an epesiotomy(if that's how you spell it!) seems a far worse idea than an abdominal wound to me! x

I've had an episiotomy and a section and let me tell you
a) the c section scar is horrible, you can't see the episiotomy
b) the c section hurt like a b@stard afterwards, didn't feel the episiotomy at all!
c) didn't feel the episiotomy being done!

Personally i dont think i can go through a normal vaginal labour or a c section but im going to have to and trying my hardest to think that its going to be ok and just take it as it comes. I have 2 ladies at work who are opting for a c section and to be honest i think it can be the lazy way out. Recovery time is longer and do you really not want to bend down and pick your baby up for 6 weeks relying on everyone else to help out. Im only opting for one if im told im having one. Being awake whist having major surgery doesnt appeal to me at all plus the fact im really needle phobic and so an epidural is my worse nightmare.
I guess its your decision and if you get to have it have it x

I personally wouldn't opt for one . In fact as I hate pain so much a c-section is my nightmare !
The recovery for a c-section is a long time . Wheras after my normal vaginal delivery I went home the next morning and felt good . Also the idea of night being able to hold my baby or have skin on skin straight after birth upsets me .

Having had both vaginal and c section births, I would not chose a c section. The recovery is so much harder etc. I won't go on because I'm sure you already know all of this.
Not sure how it works with the new law, before it was only those with medical reasons as its major surgery.
Did your mw not tell you how you can elect for one? x

Are there any other reasons other than the recovery problems that would deter you from another c section? x

Plenty.
I struggled to lean over/pick up my babies after c section.
You need a catheter after a c section and drugs to stop blood clots (as its major surgery) after my natural birth I walked down to the tea room for toast - no problem.
You can't drive for 6 weeks post c section, can drive immediately after discharge with a normal birth.
Bf was more painful after c section.
I have an ugly scar after c section whereas stomach looked more or less normal after normal delivery.
My oh couldn't cut the cord or watch baby being born at c section.
It was just sooo much more painful after c section compared to normal birth. I hope to not have to have a section ever again! x

I feel like I'm being purely negative on this thread and I'm sorry because I know you were looking for others thinking the same. But I don't think considering it an abdominal wound is the right way to consider it. It's major surgery and takes a very long time to recover. My scar was hurting 13 weeks after. I couldn't lift my baby for over 12 hours after she was born and couldn't leave the house on my own for over 2 weeks. Like i say, It's much much more than an abdominal wound.

My stomach still looks rubbish and my section was 4 years ago! x

This is why i love this forum full of honesty and real life x
Has defo put me off and i will be gutted if i have to have one x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27