Elective c section - anyone requesting one?

I feel like I'm being purely negative on this thread and I'm sorry because I know you were looking for others thinking the same. But I don't think considering it an abdominal wound is the right way to consider it. It's major surgery and takes a very long time to recover. My scar was hurting 13 weeks after. I couldn't lift my baby for over 12 hours after she was born and couldn't leave the house on my own for over 2 weeks. Like i say, It's much much more than an abdominal wound.

I know it's major surgery, I'm not thinking it'll be easy. I'm really grateful for everyone's experiences though. It's all making me think. x

Being completely honest, I was absolutely petrified of contractions (still am a bit if I'm honest and this is my 5th baby!) so I did think that a section would be "easier" in lots of ways. It wasn't.
Contractions hurt like hell - fact. I like the drugs, takes the pain away. I like the pushing, it's exciting.
I love the euphoria that hits you when the body slithers out and you and oh cry tears of joy (and exhaustion). I love oh cutting the cord, getting involved.
I love relaxing with lo afterwards.
This was all soooo much different with a section. Sure the actual "birth" was not as painful but the post op pain more than made up for it! Every time I leaned over to pick up lo, to get out of bed, to stand up "ouch".
Ps the drugs are amazing, you can choose to "feel" as little or as much as you want x

I am the one that would opt for a c section but for completely different reasons than you. I saw 2 vaginal deliveries with stillborn babies durin med school due to cord around thei neck and it marked me for life. I then decided that I don't care how hard the recovery is I am not risking it.
Thought I have to say that those things are quite rare I was just young and very upset as one of those birth was my very first experience at gynecology rotation. Vaginal delivery is much preferabl than c section, the recovery of c section and the risk that poses to mom are not negligible at all so c section is only onsideret for obstrecti reasons.
Thanks god that there is no chance of getting a c section only becaus I ask otherwise I would get one...

I'm beginning to think vaginal with epidural might be the way. However, I have just had a look at tri 3 threads about episiotomy stitches and they aren't selling it! I know not everyone has to have one, but it's very common.
I've just heard so many horror stories I think, and I'm not sure it's worth the risk of a disaster labour that ends in a c section anyway.

You won't feel the episiotomy (they aren't common, everything is condensed on here) and the recovery from an episiotomy is 1000 times easier than a cut through your abdominal wall x

I am the one that would opt for a c section but for completely different reasons than you. I saw 2 vaginal deliveries with stillborn babies durin med school due to cord around thei neck and it marked me for life. I then decided that I don't care how hard the recovery is I am not risking it.
Thought I have to say that those things are quite rare I was just young and very upset as one of those birth was my very first experience at gynecology rotation. Vaginal delivery is much preferabl than c section, the recovery of c section and the risk that poses to mom are not negligible at all so c section is only onsideret for obstrecti reasons.
Thanks god that there is no chance of getting a c section only becaus I ask otherwise I would get one...

That must have been horrendous for you. I know someone who that happened to. I also know someone who's uterus ruptured when she was induced. The disaster stories seem far more common with vaginal births.

I had a 3rd degree tear first time round and they wouldn't put me forward for a c-section unless necessary. I don't particularly want one but if medically necessary than it has to be done. I only had gas and air and I had an epidural to stitch my tear (due to other reasons) rather than put me out and I was more worried about that but tbh I'd consider an epidural next time!!! Also bcoz my son was born so quick they said there might not be time for a section should I want one if I go into labour.

To be honest I'm not sure if the new law has actually come in yet. If it has I'm sure I'm remember reading that it was still up to the healthcare trust that you were under. I.e you can ask for one but they don't have to give you one.

I can understand the fear of a vaginal birth (this is my first) but I have to say there was a chance i was going to have to have a c section and it wasn't something I was looking forward to.

Having spoken to friends/colleagues/listened to people on the forum I can't recall anyone who would recommend having a section. Major surgery isn't something I'd choose to do!

Having had both vaginal and c section births, I would not chose a c section. The recovery is so much harder etc. I won't go on because I'm sure you already know all of this.
Not sure how it works with the new law, before it was only those with medical reasons as its major surgery.
Did your mw not tell you how you can elect for one? x

Are there any other reasons other than the recovery problems that would deter you from another c section? x

hi hun,
like cosmic, i've had a vaginal delivery (with episiotomy) and a c section and would honestly pick the normal delivery every time. for me the risks of major abdo surgery (which is what it is) just aren't worth it for me. some of the risks associated with surgery; actually happened for me and tbh spoilt the experience of having my baby - don't want to go into graphic detail as i'm not hoping to scare or deter you if its what you want.

However, to balance the argument; in my profession i have witnessed the severe psychological trauma which some women feel regarding vaginal delivery and in each case the woman should be listened to with her views taken into account. All would say is try to look at it objectively and explain to the professionals how you feel - if your booked for shared care ask for an appointment with an obstetrician who can explain and give you all the information so you can make an informed choice.

clara x

Last edited:
I have been told I more than likely have to have a c section due to my muscle wastage disability & I'm gutted to be honest labour might be the most painful thing in the world but its also the most natural & i'd much rather go through hours of pain to have my baby at the end than go through no pain then spend my LOs first few weeks in agony. obviously its personal choice but major surgery doesn't seem very logical in my opinion

At my hospital, they don't do c sections unless its absolutely necessary. They prefer to have as many normal deliveries as possible.

I personally wouldn't opt for one. I know people who've had both and the girls who had a normal delivery were just getting on with their lives the day after, whereas the girls who had sections had weeks of recovery after.

It just doesn't appeal to me at all xx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

An episiotomy isnt actually That bad . It hurts a bit when it is healing but yiou are generally numbed when its done . i hope that you come to a decision that is comfortable for you and that your mw and doctors will support you x

I don't think a c-section is something that should be chosen simply because of fears over labour, although I can understand why it might seem appealing.

The way I see it, our bodies were designed to give birth, and unless there are serious complications then that is how nature intended it.

However, I have been given lots of information about elective c-sections because of multiple complications that are predicted for my pregnancy. My SPD is due to hypermobility, and although most people with SPD (even severe) go on to have perfectly normal births, people with hypermobility can end up not being able to deliver naturally because of pelvic joints and ligaments not supporting birthing positions. As a result, some people end up bed ridden for weeks and therefore not being able to take care of their babies normally etc anyway. If this looks like it might be the case for me, they will be giving the option of elective surgery.

If I were to take the option, I would feel like my body had let me down, and not given me my baby as nature intended. I would not expect it in any way to be easier or a cop-out, I would feel disappointed with my body though.

I think c-sections as an emergency, or a planned c-section for the sake of the baby's health, is a completely different kettle of fish and a necessary option for people to have.

There is a reason why people have been given the option to choose a c-section, but midwives and doctors do not recommend it because risk factors are higher. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I have a leaflet in my notes that shows exactly how complicated the risks are for c-sections compared to vaginal births. It's enough to put anyone off!!
There's actually even a statement that says 'If you are thinking about an elective c-section because you are put off by the idea of giving birth naturally, there are counsellors available to help you with your decision' - this is definitely something I would take advantage of Bumpy.

Sorry for the ramble!! xx

I have had 3 c sections and I tell you what I wish to god I would of been able to have vaginal deliveries. My first baby I laboured for a long time, after over 24 hours of established labour and not getting further than 4cm dilated I ended up having an emergency c section as my baby became distressed, I had also failed to progress but I think they would have let me go a little longer if the ctg trace was still ok. I was beyond gutted but just so happy my baby girl arrived safely. My second baby I consider a VBAC even after diagnosis of a gynae condition that could could problems during a vaginal delivery. My consultant advised another c section but as it happens a few weeks later they found a problem with my baby and he had to be born by emergency c section the following day. He died 2 days later :( They wouldn't let me birth naturally as he would not have survived the delivery so it was to give him the best possible chance, unfortunately it wasn't enough.
So after 2 previous sections and my condition a 3rd c section was inevitable. Each time I have had a baby the decision has been out of my hands, I long to be able to have a natural birth.

I would say consider very carefully how many children you want, because if you want more than 2 than c section is not the way to go. I have been advised to have no more children now, I'm gutted. After 3 sections my womb is very thin and fragile, I was so close to a uterine rupture with my last pregnancy. I wish I would have educated myself more before my first labour because I would of got them to intervene sooner with my first, I can see why they didn't but I think if they would of helped me along sooner I possibly could of had a natural delivery - who knows?!

After 3 sections I have terrible IBS at the moment, still not fully settled after the surgery. It's no walk in the park and I hate the feeling of uselessness afterwards. I recovered quick after my first and even the second but the third has been a killer. I have terrible stomach overhang now after three - I had a flat stomach before!

Epidurals are fab and they really do help with the pain, I found I could sleep a little once I'd had one. Pain relief is there for that reason and honestly an episiotomy heals much more quickly than a c section scar. X

I like you am I first time mummy and when I first found out I was pregnant I was terrified at the thought of a vaginal birth and considered looking into a c section but now that I am a week away from due date I am actually looking forward to it. I have a few friends who have had c sections and have really struggled with the recovery. Hope you get the opportunity to chose what's right for you and your babyxx

Thought I'd pop in :)

I'm not pregnant yet, but I have set the wheels in motion for a c-section for my next birth. Its a bit different for me as it'll be my 2nd birth.
When I went to discuss the possibility of a section with my GP she was the one that mentioned it first after I discussed the problems I had.

My first birth was traumatic, I'll not go into detail. But to me, a c-section is the best way forward, even with all of the risks and recovery times, pain, not being able to hold baby etc.
I had a lot of those problems with my first birth anyway.

I had an episiotomy and had no problems at all.

I will say I dont think I would have opted for a c-section had I not experienced a traumatic birth.

I have to agree. A c-section is never appealing. Even before having one it was a fear of mine to end up with one.

Have you considered natal hypnotherapy? It might ease any concerns you might have and make you feel more prepared. Yes things can go wrong but the amount of women with no complications is a pretty large number. It can all go very smoothly :)

I agree that natal hypnotherapy may be worth a shot. I'm pretty certain there are more complications linked to c-sections as its major surgery whereas women have been successfully birthing vaginally since time began.
I was advised to have a c-section by a consultant as had a large baby with my first & this one looks bigger. But have said no as I want to do things as naturally as possible & trust that my body will cope. But that is my choice. You should do whatever makes you feel happiest.
I found reading 'Effective Birth Preparation' by Maggie Howell and 'Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth' by Ina May Gaskin really informative & eye opening on this subject. Apparently Grantly Dick Read's 'Childbirth without Fear' is hugely recommended too. May be worth a read before making a decision.
Wishing you all the best in whatever choice you make xxxx

Natural labour all the way! Don't do it hun X

I have had 4 elective C-sections due to having had prev pelvic surgery when 21 , was gutted when I found out, so I know nothing about labour, I imagine its horrible and very painful just the same tho as I don't know otherwise.

Reasons to not have a section -

1) Ask about babies being born with "Wet Lungs" or grunting - higher risk from Eclective section due to no labour, baby not being ready and no pushing down the birth canal by you first, so the baby is born without the surfactant (fluid in lungs) having been squeesed out first, causing them breathing problems at birth. The chances of not having this improves every day nearer term your section is. I had two babies at 38 weeks and both went straight to special care and were not with me! My first was in for 2 weeks, and I had to go home after a week without him, and my third baby was in for 3 days with it- resulting in no breastfeeding!! I had a polaroid to stare at on the ward for each baby instead of the real thing, was a nightmare.. (I have a copy of my notes still and it has a midwife saying , found Jenni wandering the coridors crying as she is the only lady in ward without a baby!)

2) Harder to bond with baby, I felt like a slab of meat and someone then shows you a babys face in a towel, you can hardley see it, as your upside down!, baby is all cleaned up already! Where is my bloody wet baby , placed on my chest, nope!! Far too clinical

3) Much lower breastfeeding rates in section babys

4) You stay in for 3-7 days depending on how baby is doing

5) In hosp, everyone that comes in your room, which is at least every 1 hour! and 2-4 hours at night!! will leave your chair (with all your handy stuff on -next to bed) out and your food table, and leave your lights on- every time without fail!!! You then spend 15 mins, desperatly in pain trying to get the light off or access your mat pads or nappies !!

6) Two of my babies needed phototherpay under lights away from bed, every few mins they would take off there sunglass things , and you then have to get out of bed to sort it!!

7) I had a wound drain with section2 - tube sewn into scar to drain of excess blood/fluid from op and taken out after 2 days, ouch and you have to carry it about when you go to wash/ shower
8) Catherter!! Same as above, carried about!
9) Breastfeeding painful as uterus contracts while feeding
10) Last section (alright I have had a few) they had to put a patch in as the uterus was closed /sewn up , but wouldn't stop bleeding - nearly had more transfusions, phew.
11) With last section - I had terrible shoulder tip pain in both shoulders, apperently from heavy bleeding into diaphram when table tipped down towards my head to help relieve sickness from drugs in theatre, it tricks the shoulders to thinking there in pain! - and I honestly couldn't handle that this time, I'm good with section pain, but was sobbing on day two as I didn't know which end hurt the most!
12) They recomend no more then three sections - When she opened me up for third section she saw a leg go past, and one of the other layers had already ruptured! She called it a "window to the womb", I kept telling them I had scar burning pain in late pregnancy! - could have been fatal for baby and me.
13) terrible trapped wind after a few days in hosp, you have to eat light meals , the last thing you need is to be bunged up and sore!
14) My mate had a baby naturally, and called me in to her house the day she had had baby after she got home, (they had just got home), she quickly knelt down to get baby out of car seat - I couldn't have done that - made me feel sad!
15) I still feel robbed ! I imagine natural labour is painful, very hard, and don't know if I could of done it, it's an unknown for me, but I tussle with the I'm a failure thing, better now , but every women should feel that she has suceeded at the most womenly thing ever! I will never know, Ive lost count of the times Ive been part of a birth conversation , about a new mum to be, and people say ah she will find out won't she, or other things, and assume I know, I feel awful , like I can't comment as I don't know! What will I say to my daughter when she goes through it! I will be useless!

Oh and dealing with all or some of the above , with baby in tow!

Just my thoughts, so please don't think I'm being mean, but pls take them as general information to help you decide - Natural all the way - look at the faces of the mums on one born every minute when they just gave birth - how proud that they achieved that - they did that! Please give it a whirl X

Last edited:
Having watched some c-sections in my nurse trainkng I can def say I wouldnt want one...they are gruesome!

I was the same - petrified of vaginal delivery but when i actually read up- i chose natural delivery.
I had an epidural and episiotomy
Trust me, its isnt that bad. I would do it any day

sent from my Galaxy s2

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back