Unsure whether to find out the sex . . .

NicciLove

Reaction score
So I have my 20 week scan next wednesday which I am really looking forward too but as of yet me and my OH have not managed to agree on whether to find out the sex of our first child.

At first, he wanted a suprise and I was adament that I wanted to find out the sex but agreed with him as I knew I wouldn't be able to keep a secret. Then the other week whilst out looking at bedding for the nursery, I think my OH realised why I was so desperate to know the sex and agreed that if I really wanted to know, we would find out.

However since being given the choice i suddenly feel that it may be nice to wait till September?? Im so confused and only a few days to decide! :think:

I just wondered how many of you out there kept their first (or all) a suprise, alternatively what was it that made you want to find out the sex?

omg i wanted to know the whole time lol but they cud never see cos the way she was lying. i never REALLY considered not finding out if they would be able to tell me.... even morning of my section they couldnt see.... i am soo glad. best most amazing surprise everrrrr and i will now never ever find out the sex. its the most amazing time of my life ever anyway but the surprise was cherry on top... im excited for you lol i wanna be preg again!! xx

on my 1st they couldnt tell me so she wore lemon and white for the 1st few months haha
on my 2nd found out i was having a boy and love buying all blue things
on my 3rd i knew we was having a girl but my ex didnt want to know so everything i bought was pink and i told him if he doesnt want to know dont go in the draws haha
on my 3rd dh 1st i left it up to him to decide and he said he didnt but has the scan got closer he desided he wanted to know so when they couldnt tell us he said right where can we get a private scan done haha the next day i was booked in and found out we was having a boy

I found out all three times lol. I'm so impatient. Made shopping more fun and I could imagine the baby better and felt it helped knowing that little more about her. Do admire people who can hand on for the surprise though.

omg i wanted to know the whole time lol but they cud never see cos the way she was lying. i never REALLY considered not finding out if they would be able to tell me.... even morning of my section they couldnt see.... i am soo glad. best most amazing surprise everrrrr and i will now never ever find out the sex. its the most amazing time of my life ever anyway but the surprise was cherry on top... im excited for you lol i wanna be preg again!! xx

I didn't even think about the possibility that I may not even have a choice on the day LOL

You have made the prospect of a suprise much more appealing!! :)

on my 1st they couldnt tell me so she wore lemon and white for the 1st few months haha

I hate the idea of baby only wearing yellow and white for the first few months, maybe because i really dont like the colour yellow!!

on my 3rd dh 1st i left it up to him to decide and he said he didnt but has the scan got closer he desided he wanted to know so when they couldnt tell us he said right where can we get a private scan done haha the next day i was booked in and found out we was having a boy

Haha :lol:

I found out all three times lol. I'm so impatient. Made shopping more fun and I could imagine the baby better and felt it helped knowing that little more about her. Do admire people who can hand on for the surprise though.

My mum said that with my little sister (13 year age gap) she found out whereas with me I was a suprise because back then, you didn't really have a choice. Anyway she said she'd always felt closer to my little sister because she knew she was a girl x

I found out first time but refused to believe them! Lol x this time we both really really want to find out. I've had some people be really nasty about me wanting to find out! x I'm just far too impatient plus there's loads of gorgeous girl/boy clothes but I don't like so many unisex clothes! x

My scan is on fri and I def want to find out, I think it makes it easier to pick names, clothes, etc, etc and plus my little boy really wants to know it will ne nice for him to get used to wether it's a brother or a sister but still at the end of it all it is still your choice, I cannot wait to find out!!! Lol xx :)

to be honest i wish i could keep it as a suprise but am far to impatient to wait lol i have my scan on the 18th may and im defo finding out also it makes u more prepared you can do up room buy clothes choose names but it's defo personal choice.

Last edited:
I didn't find out with my first, I wasn't bothered either way but was convinced it was a boy and it was. My 2nd I found out, glad I did, I'm sure it made me bond much more with knowing I had another little guy in there early on. I was able to personalise everything to do with him. With this one I'm definately finding, I want to prepare myself in case it's another boy lol!

We haven't found out :) I really want OH to tell me the sex at the birth!

Although we're booked in for a 4D scan, so if LO waves his/her backside in full view then we'll just have to accept it as fate! Hehe! X

we are finding out cuz i dont like all the unisex things out there.. and also we got a name decided if its a girl but are not even talking about boy names as we know it will cause an argument so we are saving that until we know for sure. But we both really think its a girl.. I couldnt wait.. too impatient..

with my first and second i didn't find out but with number three we did as he was quite close to the second and we decided that we needed to know whether to throw out all our little boy clothes and buy all new girly stuff or not.

this time we are finding out because as my DH said " I think we've had enough surprises" lol

if you dont want to know tell them that when you go for your scan as they wont show you that area lol
its great not knowing but i loved buying them pink or blue things and calling the baby by his/her name
even if you do know your still dying to find out when you give birth though you still have to check because remember girls they can often get it wrong hee hee

honestly i bought loadsa white cos i didnt know and she wore none of it. she was laden with pink stuff bout 3 hrs after she was born!! :D and i enjoy buying for her when shes here . i defo would have found out if they could have told me but im sooo glad they cudnt and i know everyones different but the love i felt for her the first moment i saw her was amazing i cried my eyes out like a plank lol so i dont think i could bond more with her or love her more if id known she was a girl. its defo personal opinion tho whatevers right for you. xx

I didn't find out wikth my first, convinced was a boy and was
Wth my second, we had a very small house and wanted to find out for cash reasons and practical stuff, we had a boy so that mad it easier.
we moved areas and then my third, we wanted to know again, they didn't tell you sex of baby in that area , against policy (this was only 2002!) so took the descision away really. Then she was small for dates and so two sizing scans later they offered to tell us! Apparently as its then too late to terminate based on the sex!
So we were having a girl. but we never really believed it till she was here incase wrong and I had got used to being a girl as already had two boys.

I will say that I hope I can stand firm this time as want to stay team yellow - it will be my last baby and the difference of surprise if well worth it. I had planned sections, so I knew the date of birth, the sex and so it was only the weight left to guess at, kind off stole something from it X

Good luck deciding X

Last edited:
So many good reasons or both, i guess im just gonna have to see how i feel on the day, only 3 days to go!!

Thanks everyone xx

how exciting! you have to let us know what happend!

With my first I had a gut instinct from the moment I took the test, I just knew it was a boy and I was correct. Me and my mum were sitting in the waiting room just before my ultrasound and she was arguing saying it was a girl, lol. But as soon as they scanned me straight away he was flashing us his bits, haha :lol: This time I'm not so sure on what my baby is only got about another six weeks until my scan should be (normally 21 weeks where I live) I keep telling myself it's a girl though but I don't mind either way anyway :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back