The New IVF/IUI Thread - 5BFPs!

I was weighed at the first ref feral apt then at egg collection. Good luck x

I've not been weighed at all at the new hospital and didn't think you got weighed at a chat and plan?

I guess all clinics are different I was quite nervous about being weighed as I'd put about 10lbs on from the start of the process the dr didn't say anything to me.
X

So it's all gone abit quiet on here but I've been hospital today and im doing pill again next week then about 3 weeks after starting on the stims, they are putting me on menopur and gonal f instead of puregon this time, have no idea why as I did well on puregon, anyone else starting it soon too? I feel ok about it but it's still a while off I guess x

I was on Gonal F and seemed to be fine with it, just bloating as I had so many follicles. Gonal F comes in the pre-loaded injection pens too which is helpful. Good luck and keep us posted xx

So it's all gone abit quiet on here but I've been hospital today and im doing pill again next week then about 3 weeks after starting on the stims, they are putting me on menopur and gonal f instead of puregon this time, have no idea why as I did well on puregon, anyone else starting it soon too? I feel ok about it but it's still a while off I guess x

I have 1st nurses appt mon to practice injections etc. Af is due next week so will have to have a baseline scan.

Hi! I’m on my last go of clomid and if that doesn't work we need to decide whether to have one or 2 goes of IUI! I’ve heard that it’s a waste of time having more than one go, especially if you are over 35! Any advice please?!

Thats rubbish, it does seem some clinics just aren't keen on IUI anymore but I know plenty of people who've got pregnant via that way, some on their 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 6th rounds. It really depends on the issues though as to whether it's suitable.

Hmm, our issues are just my age really, hubby's sperm is only 6% normal but the count is high & I might have low progesterone without clomid. It would just be to get the best of the sperm, target it and give us more of a chance!

I know someone who had 2 goes that didn't work so they went onto IVF, she said she wouldn't recommend it. But I want to try everything I can before resorting to IVF! I hate needles and can't look at them, I'm really worried about having to do it! But I'd do anything to have a baby so I'd have to overcome it!

I don't know why someone would say they don't recommend it, I'd certainly rather do a few iui rounds than Ivf which is why we did have 2 goes before our 2nd Ivf. It's cheaper by quite a bit, you could probably do 5-6 IUI's for the cost of Ivf and it certainly is easier on the body.
However if you want to do it because you don't want needles that come with Ivf, be warned a lot of clinics use injectables for iui too.

It sounds like it's something you actually might benefit from and could be what works for you.

I was offered ivf or iui and opted for iui first because if we had chosen ivf we couldn't go back and try iui. I wanted to use our goes at iui first and do ivf as a last resort. I think if iui is an option and available then try it. You just never know if it'll be what brings you a bfp.
I had to do injections because I don't ov on my own and have been on clomid. I hate needles too and I was terrified but really, once you do the first one you realise it's over in seconds and is less painful than a blood test. That's what I found, personally anyway.
I had to ask myself, would I regret not using iui and opting for ivf first? The thought of ivf not working out and having missed out on iui made me realise I'd regret it if I didn't go for it.

Completely your choice but I'd go for it hun. X

Thank you! She said she didn't recommend it because it didn't work! But you are right, I'd rather do that first especially if you can't do it afterwards! We'd have to pay whatever so I'd rather pay £800 than £3000 in case it does work! Maybe we can do one and then decide after that whether to do another one or not?

Our clinic said I could have clomid with IUI. So it would just be a case of getting another prescription of clomid but having the IUI as well as the tracking scans. Phew!

Yes I've heard the IVF injections are more like an epi-pen, is that right?! And how many days do you do them for? I need to get my head round it!

I don't mean to sound like I'm being horrible towards your friends but with IUI you can't have tried it twice and have it failed then tell people you don't recommend it, twice is really not enough to give yourself full chance, I've done it twice with once cancelled and once failed but I wouldn't write off doing it again and wouldn't not recommend it.

If you're paying like we are it's completely up to you what you decide you want to do or switch back and forth between trying both IUI and IVF.
Are they scanning and doing bloods while you're on Clomid ATM to check it's working really well, my first IUI I did Clomid and injectables despite having no ovulation problems, this was to ensure a nice strong ovulation and hopefully try and get 2 nice lead follicles to up our chances, unfortunately I ended up with 4 and another 2 that could have possible contained eggs, next cycle I did just injectables which worked much better with just one lead follicle and another that was a 'possible'
Personally if you're worried about age/egg quality I might be tempted to go with a small dose of injectables to try and increase your chances, the one thing that is more of a worry with IUI over IVF is the risk of multiples so you also need to take that into consideration.

It completely depends on your clinic and what meds you're put on as to what the needles are like, both my IVF cycles and IUI I've stimmed with Gonal f which comes in a penfill injection, but my first IVF also including down regulating with a nasal spray and 2nd I had to use another injection to stop me ovulating which wasn't penfill and was a syringe with a needle bigger than the pen ones, but they really aren't that bad and half of the time you hardly feel the injection.
As for how many days it completely depends on how you respond, what protocol you do. Both my IVFs I stimmed for 11 days I think it was, so 1 injection a day for 5 days then 2 per day for 6 days on 2nd (short protocol).

Wow, it sounds complicated! I suppose you get used to it though! My friend was just trying to advise me about the IUI and in their situation they wished they'd gone for the IVF straight away. But I haven't taken her advice because IUI might work for us.

I'm glad we can go backwards and forwards between IUI and IVF, I suppose that makes sense if we are paying!

Yes I had scans for my first month of clomid and had one dominant follicle that was over 24mm when I ovulated so she said that was ideal. The progesterone test indicated that I'd definitely ovulated as well. I ovulated last month as well but we didn't have scans because we were on holiday but I assumed it would be similar. So if I get one dominant follicle again this should also be fine for IUI. I will be prepared for injections as well though, thanks!

I'd like twins so if there's more than one follicle that would be fine!
Thank you for your helpful reply! :flower:

We had to fill in the forms for IUI last night. I did all the boring bits like our NHS numbers and address etc so DH just had to tick some boxes and sign, but he was frowning so much when he gave it back! He never says much so I didn't question him, but I suppose its just a bit daunting for him!

What have other people's DHs been like with this sort of thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back