Closed - old IVF thread

LouiseB

Reaction score
Hiya :)

I was thinking that an IUI/IVF thread would be fun to keep all of us girlies in the same situation grouped together for maximum support like the PCOS one.

Kind of see it as a communal diary to post anything at all - ttc, treatment, babies, family - whatever is going on with you. Just random thoughts in your head. We can psycho-analyse our craziness :shock:

If you have a diary already, you can just copy and paste your entry in here too :)

I know that there are already a load of roll call type threads, so maybe just brief who and where are you for the front page and then we can all rant away :good:

Current Activity

2WW

STIMMING
Tinkerbell - 1st IUI in November

DOWN REGULATING
Jacq - 1st ICSI in Nov/Dec
Jennymarie - 2nd ICSI in Nov/Dec

WAITING IMPATIENTLY
gemmainthesun - 1st ICSI in Dec/Jan (app. 27th Nov)
Skeando - 1st IUI in Jan/Feb 2013
Clairabella - 1st ICSI in March/April - app. 22nd Feb
Gizzy Kelly - 33, Essex. 1st IVF - starts 2013
Tinkerbell - 1st IUI after ICSI - starts 2013
Bellarina - 1st IVF - starts 2013
Chazabell - 27, 1st IUI 2013
xxTilliexx - 1st IUI in 2013
ScotchEgg - 28 - went AWOL after 1st IVF
Rebeca - 2nd ICSI with partial AOA in September/October 12

Archive
BFPs!!!
Blondy13 / Eleanor - 25, Derbyshire. 1st IUI in June - :bfp::bump::stork:
Rea - 1st IVF in July/August - :bfp::bump::stork:
Zoziebubly - 1st IVF in August/September :bfp::bump::stork: :stork:- it's twins! :dance:
Laurat - 1st IUI in September/October :bfp::bump::stork:

BFNs
Tinkerbell - 1st ICSI in June/July - :bfn::cry::hug:
JJ Mum - 39, Berkshire. 1st IVF in June/July - :bfn::cry::hug:
ScotchEgg - 21, Maldives. 1st FET in July/August - :bfn::cry::hug:
Greekgirl - 1st IVF in July/August - :bfn::cry::hug:
Pennie - 1st IVF in August/September :bfn::cry::hug:
Jennymarie - 1st IVF in August/September :bfn::cry::hug:
JJ Mum - 39, Berkshire - 1st FET in September/October - failed thaw :cry::hug:

Last edited:
And to start the ranting...

I don't know how you all feel about telling people about you needing fertility treatment, but at the start i was very secretive about it. I told my mum only because she asked how ttc was going and i'd just found out about the infertility and i started crying and had to explain myself. She was sworn to secrecy.

Bearing in mind this was over a year ago now (omfg) she kept the secret quite well but she told me that my grandma had recently asked if i was unable to have children. She said that she had replied that of course i could have children - although i was suspicious because she is rubbish at keeping secrets.

So i saw my grandma the other day and the first thing she said was "Try not to worry, i know it will be your turn very soon. I just know it will".

Not being funny, but i'm not very close to my grandma so i just started fuming about it and have done since :oooo:

Good call Louise!

Laura currently waiting on IUI to hopefully make me ovulate!!

Ooh grandparents and older people can be quite bad with these things! They are from a generation that just didnt talk or hear about these things. I can see why its frustrated you.

In terms of telling folk about needing fertility treatment I made the decision a while ago to tell folk who either asked me about having children and people Im close to. I felt it just eased the burden of it all and sure did stop folk like the gossips at work discussing when Im going to give up my lavish (joke) lifestyle and bare children! Strangely since being honest about it Ive also discovered a good few people who have been or are in the same position and are happy and relieved to talk about it but would never have initiated it. My knowledge as well of procceses and stuff has now been something other folk have come to me for!

Well ive had IUI and im waiting for my Laparoscopy.....can i join in? I dont know if they'll try me on Clomid again after my Lap (They have to find something......this cant be right) or weather they'll start straight back with IUI.

Im gonna start up a thread called.........Limbo :), or maybe not.....nope, im staying here. Am i rabbiting on? Ive had Cocodamol, Naproxen and wine :)

P.s Charlene 27, Lancashire....had IUI waiting on Lap......now im repeating myself :eh:

xxxxx

Gizzy Kelly - unexplained infertility- IVF to start in July/August. TTC since September 2009. Totally praying that IVF is our answer. Xxxx sometimes wondering if it is really unexplained infertility rather than a problem just not diagnosed? What is easier? Xxxxx

Eleanor, 25, Derby, annovulatory PCOS, starting IUI in just over a week
I hope you don't mind me posting here as I am pcos- but clomid didn't work so I'm not really in that other thread

Great idea though, will be posting ramblings as we go along!

I also didn't tell anyone about TTC at first, but as it's got harder and had more and more appts etc, most of my work colleagues know and have been great, and my closest friends all know. I have found it a relief telling people, and found out that my boss had IVF so she's been a great support. It makes you wonder how many People had fertility treatment and just don't say anything?

Got my appointment a week tomorrow to learn how to inject, and starting provera tomorrow so AF will be here any day next week and we'll be away!!

Rea, TCC for couple of years now, knew we might have an issue as always had very irregular cycle and my man had operation when he was a child for undecended testes. Consultant recommended ICSI straight away once we were referred but tests on me revealed huge dermoid cyst on ovary so had op in december. Also have PCO but not PCOS so they're going to be careful with stimulation of my ovaries. Got my meds in the fridge ready to go :) should start the injection side of ICSI on 18th July. Feelin quite 'Bring it on!' at the mo :trouble:

We've told close people. I'm tempted to be more open with people as it's a big part of life at the mo, but a bit wary too.. I think because telling people affects both me and OH it doesn't feel like it's just my choice and I know OH is more private than I am. I do think you've got a point Eleanor about lots of people probably having fertility treatment but not talking about it.

Louise -- you sure your mum has actually said something? your gran might be aware you're wanting to have kids and commenting coz it's been more than a year. I agree with Laura, the grandparent generation have their own ways :) I do understand your frustration though; I told my dad, asked him to keep it quiet for now - next minute he's told my aunt who wrote me a letter -- which is very sweet of her, but has made me MUCH more vague with info I give to my dad! In his defence, I think it can be hard for them too... sometimes they need to talk to someone just like we do. x

oooh good idea Lou

I'm starting my frozen embryo transfer (FET) cycle in just under 2 weeks. going through the up and down emotions that precede it even more than last time. Trying to keep our minds off it at the moment.

In terms of friends, family know and my best friends and their partners know. PorkPie doesn't think his friends (who almost all have unplanned families) would understand so we haven't told them. My friends have been an amazing support for both of us, as have our families.

We have to have treatment due to a very low sperm count, which could be genetic (PorkPie's parents took 4 years to conceive him) or could be related to undescended testicles as well. It's probably a bit of both with each exacerbating the other.

Hi my name is Vicky I am 31 and I enjoy long walks on the beach and candle lite dinners ... :rofl:

My desire to have children was never a secret from my friends and family, as soon as I knew things werent right I told them, and they have been following my journey ever since. I have found it easier them knowing what was going on so I didnt have to deal with all the "when are you having a baby?" questions.

But I have decided that we we do start treatment I wont tell anyone, I dont want the added pressure of people knowing what stage we are at and all the questions, and of course if it fails I dont want to have to deal with all the pity looks, I will need my own personal time to grieve before I tell others .... and on a more positive note if it does work then we want to wait until 12 weeks before telling others. So for now they know we are being sent to an IVF clinic and our first appointment is in July but after that I will be keeping things quiet.

Gosh, see! A couple of cycles in June :) There is some action to be had :good:

Laura - that's pretty cool that you found quite a good rl support network :)

Chaz - prescription meds and wine should ease those period pains for sure :oooo:

Gizzy - your right, unexplained is bs. I definitely think undiagnosed would be more appropriate. It shouldn't impact IVF though, I think maybe even minor physical variations can cause issue for sperm trying to reach the egg but they'd never see it - like how some people always get food stuck in their teeth, maybe you get sperm stuck somewhere. Or maybe not ;)

Blondy - your right that lots of people have IVF and we just don't know.

Rea - you're right that I don't know that she's told her, but she was supposed to have convinced her otherwise - you know, played it down. They are a right bunch of gossips! I do realise that some people need to talk themselves and try to select who they tell carefully, but it's still annoying when they talk to you about it when they're not supposed to know.

Scotch - maybe PorkPies dad had an undescended testicle too? I think that is hereditary... Well it is in dogs anyway :oooo:

Vicky - I enjoy long walks on the beach and candle lit dinners too! Maybe we are mfeo? ;) Yeah, definitely keep the actual cycle dates quiet. My lot will know quite specifically this time because we are going away to Belgium but I'm already feeling stressed about them possibly checking up to gauge if it was successful or not when I won't want to tell them either way. I think I'll just have to kindly ask them not to ask :)

Today we had the meet up and it was nice as always. Spinneygirl is one angry pregnant lady (lol) and Bead is nealy there! I think she said Sept for being approved :) Crazy to think she'll have a couple of kids soon :shock:

And it made me feel better. I felt like I was the only one that hadn't moved on at all in the time we've known each other but now I guess I have really because we do know a lot more. Plus I realised I'm feeling really positive too, I can a actually imagine pregnancy being just around the corner - especially after seeing Spinneygirl and her bump :) Surely limbo can't last forever :shock:

Last edited:
We have told a few family and friends but not everyone. Work doesnt know, the environment im in i don't trust them to not use it against me in a round about way, so im just scheduling days off and holidays when i need appointments.

If im honest i cannot be arsed telling anyone else, i cant be doing with the "ohhh it will happen, you'll make good parents" or "have you thought about adoption?" :shock:

Your all braver than me!

As IUI and IVF goes, its more common than you think isnt it. I thought it was pretty rare till i started my journey, yes id like to fall on my own, but if it take IUI or IVF i wanna be prouid to say..."Yes i wanted a baby, and i needed help, and i came out the other side stronger and with this gorgeous bundle!" :)

P.s we found my ring, just waiting for the question now :love: (we have gone about it a little backwards ha ha) xxxxx

Oooooooooh! What does it look like?!

We did it the wrong way around too, kind of :)

We went to a diamond shop and picked a diamond, they're all unique you see and I picked the one that had the best properties we could afford.

So you could get a huge diamond for cheaper, but it could have several imperfections with the cut and the inclusions etc

Did you know that fluorescence is something they rate diamonds by? So in sunlight they can take one a blue coloration - that reduces the value.

Anyway. It was a good day out :) Then I picked a setting.

When hubby proposed my diamond was in my settings so I hadn't actually seen the ring but picked what it would look like lol

Awww I love the idea of picking the ring/diamond first!! Means you get a perfect proposal with a ring that you love!!
How did everyone's other halves propose?

We were at a wedding! It was a really cute one, and I had obviously been all teary during the ceremony but Strangely my oh had too, he carried on looking at me all bleary eyed all day, I thought he was ill or something!!
Anyway later on after we'd eaten, he said let's go outside for a walk, and it being end of October and me in just a dress I was obviously very stroppy about it!! So he didn't get me very far, lol, then got down on one knee and said he just couldn't wait to ask me! Bless him!
Anyway we couldn't say anything until later on in the evening- didn't want to steal the couples limelight- but when we did people bought us so much champagne/shots, we were so hungover ring shopping the next day!

I love proposal stories. Neil proposed to me in Paris, but I had no idea that it was coming or that just the week before he had driven up to meet my parents in rugby on their canal boat to ask my dads permission. He had driven for 4 hours because he got lost and my parents boat was not in a goid signal area. He asked my dad then drove home again. We were just walking along the river one evening when he got down and one knee and asked. The ring fit perfectly as well. I don't think I would change anything about it but what i love the most that he did all that driving the week before:) gizzy xxx

I love proposal stories too :love:

Fancy your hubby proposing at the wedding Blondy :)

I do think it would have been sweet not to know that they are going to propose, I think it shows that they are manning up and taking control and it it really romantic - if they get it right lol

I pretty much told my hubby we were getting married and I expected it to happen soon :whistle:

I knew he had the ring but not when he'd do it but when we went on holiday to Canada I did think maybe he'd do it then. I think once he decided where exactly it would be nice to do it, he steamed ahead and we'd had a pretty rank meal and he was taking me out into the wildenerness a bit and I thought "don't do it after a crap meal :roll:" lol

He sat us down on this bench in a garden deep with snow and surrounded by trees and mountains. There was a fire burning and the stars and moon were out and he proposed there and then. It was really sweet after all :love:

Haven't been on in a while but I'm still here and still part of the TTC group :(

Feeling in a much better place now though as we've just started ICSI, down reg started 6th June and I'm back at the hospital 25th June for a scan to check im ready to start injections that day.

Awww nice to see you back Tinkerbell :wave: glad things have finally started for you.

Such lovely proposal stories, mine came as a complete shock as hubby never hid the fact that he thinks marriage is just a waste of money and a piece of paper :sad:

It was our first christmas alone in our new house and there we are happily opening our presents together, just when I think they have all been opened and I start tidying up hubby brings me another, so I start to open it and its a medium sized box so I unwrap the box then open it up and inside is a small box, my heart starts pounding, and I can remember telling myself dont get to excited Vick its probably just a belly bar or something lol ... so I open up the box and inside is this gorgeous diamond ring .... I turn to look at hubby and he is there down on one knee and then he asked me if I would marry him :love:

Haven't been on in a while but I'm still here and still part of the TTC group :(

Feeling in a much better place now though as we've just started ICSI, down reg started 6th June and I'm back at the hospital 25th June for a scan to check im ready to start injections that day.

Hi Tinkerbell,
Hope ICSI goes well for you! We're due to start in next few weeks. Hope your scans show lots of eggs for ya both :)

Lovely proposal stories :) mine was a complete surprise too. It was on Christmas morning. Down on one knee, ring in hand. I was very happy and very shocked -- ended up drinking the best part of a bottle of vino and not having any appetite for my Christmas dinner -- and I LOVE roast dinners! :shock: :merry:

Congrats on finding your engagement ring Chaz :) Excitin!! :cheer:

Aww, loving all your proposal stories. Mines not as good but still special to me. We did it the same as you chaz, we had been talking about it for a while then one day he said 'so do you want to go ring shopping?'. I thought he would pop the question on my birthday a week later but he did it 2 days before. I got home from work and there was a post it on the living room door saying 'go upstairs' so I went up to the bedroom and there were candles lit and he went down on one knee. Think it was a bit different for us cos we had been together for 8 and a half years by that point. Think everyone we knew had given up on us & thought it would never happen. We got married 9 months later. Needless to say it was NOT a shotgun wedding lol xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back