Q for people who hate popular names

LouiseB

Reaction score
How popular is too popular?

Do you go off how many children you know with a certain name or do you go off national statistics?

How high up the ranks would you go?

I have three favourite girls names and they are all around the 15-25 ranking coincidently.

I hate popular names, and although i accept that other children will have the same names - i'd be slightly disgruntled if i found out that someone in my childs class had the same name, it's just the way i am.

Ranking 15-25... is it a risk?

I dont hate popular names I love most of them in fact! We just didnt want to name the baby after a baby we already know if that makes sense.

We have picked a name that none of our friends have named their children and its in the top 30 so still popular ish

When we called are daughter issabelle it wasn't popular and didn't know anyone with the same name so happy I chose a different spelling coz it took off after that haha! And Alexander we know Alex is popular so we shorten it to zander - wish we just called him zander now lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be the same, I prefer something different, until someone comes along and steals it that is :lol: And believe me, it's a horrible feeling!

I hate the thought of having a really popular name for my LO. I work with kids and I always think, oh another, 'Kian' or whatever. On my last day I took a phone message and asked the childs name and it was the exact name we'dchosen for our LO, same surname and everything :roll: I didnt change it. But it got my back up a few weeks ago when my hairdresser said his name was really getting popular, she'd heard of a few babied named that :wall:

I'm the same, I really dislike popular names and was gutted when DD's name suddenly surged in popularity!

If I really loved a name though then I'd go for it regardless.

did someone copy ur choice of name jen?!?! i hafta say no Madison's where i am now and now like 3 of them have called ther lo's Madison and they've openly said they just thought my Madison's name was lovely sometimes im miffed and sometimes im pissed... depends what side of the bed i get out of lol xx

Yes it's a really tricky one. We have a girls name all picked out. It's my grandmothers name and it is fairly popular. Not in the top ten but still, not far off.

I dont want a really popular name, but we chose it for family reasons, so it's a keeper. Plus it's better than a ridiculous made up name.

Sorry - am in a bit of an assertive mood regarding names today!! Dont know why

Well i'm going for Bethan Aerith so no chance of anyone with Aerith in their name lol, I was a Zoe in a class of 3 at secondary school not nice really. xXx

Yeah Lisa, a "friend", not a close one (they would never do that), but someone I know and used to go out with and who lives close too.. She slept with a stranger to get pregnant when me and another friend fell pregnant around the same time.. So not only has she stole the name, but "Odhrán" is now the baby who's mums a tramp! Only thing I guess I can hold onto is that Odhrán is a lot of months older than him and he was Odhrán first.. She has serious issues x

Last edited:
I love different names and I'd never heard of Lacey before but since having her it's become really popular! I found boys names hard when it came to different names so we changed the spelling of charley so it wasn't the normal Charlie!

i love different names i called lo tegan which is not very common at all around here x

I chose Paige...well mainly because it was the only one we could agree on! I didn't know anyone called it and didn't know any babies named it. Its not a popular name...yet I seem to hear it all the time now. But I wouldn't want to have called her anything else, the other names we chose just didnt suit her :) I dont think it matters if its popular or not. If you like the name, you like it. I loved Olivia which is extreamly popular, but its a lovely name and if FOB wasn't called Oliver, it would have been her name.

I chose Jacob it wasn't very popular but then Twilight happened :roll: then I've got Leo which I don't know any! But Tony Blair named his son Leo in 2000 so there's more a few years back apparently...but I love it short and sweet :)

Orginally i wanted Elijah if i had a boy but my OH hated the name :( so we had to think of something else for a boy and the only name we could agree on was Ethan, i didn't know anyone with the name only the actor Ethan Hawkes. but then a few weeks later Dani Minogue named her boy Ethan and every where i go there is Ethans :(. xx

I chose Jacob it wasn't very popular but then Twilight happened :roll: then I've got Leo which I don't know any! But Tony Blair named his son Leo in 2000 so there's more a few years back apparently...but I love it short and sweet :)

That's what happened with issabelle we call her bella allllll the time but then twilight noooooooo! Now there is bella's everywhere lol!

That's what happened with issabelle we call her bella allllll the time but then twilight noooooooo! Now there is bella's everywhere lol!

Laceys middle names Isabelle! It's a gorgeous name!! We were gonna have Charleys middle name as Edward after my dad but I thought everyone would think twilight!

did someone copy ur choice of name jen?!?! i hafta say no Madison's where i am now and now like 3 of them have called ther lo's Madison and they've openly said they just thought my Madison's name was lovely sometimes im miffed and sometimes im pissed... depends what side of the bed i get out of lol xx

i have a madison too :) she is 6 though and not many round here with that name :)

oh has suggested a few names that i already know friends have for there lo's so ive said no straight away. if the name we choose becomes popular afterwards im not as fussed but dont want to call them by same name as someone else i know as dont want the hole copycat comments to appear. lol.

xxx

well I have a Monty , dolly and a Herbie and there not popular at all. People tell me oh my friends sisters couisn has a little boy called monty things like that but I have never met another monty dolly or herbie but I'm terrible a few names I liked with them all even if it was a name on a birthday card on cbeebie or something like that I didnt like it any more. I would hate for somebody to call there kids the same as mine thats why if you go for something different most people dont like it anyway to wont pinch it lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back