Popular names

tipper

Reaction score
How do you all feel about using popular baby names?

Hubby and I were talking, and he really likes Jacob for a boy, and he said he even liked Emma for a girl (woot!!).

So I was searching a bit, and came across the Social Security Admin. site here in the states. The site is pretty fun, as you can select different years, or even decades and it will tell you what the most popular names are/were.

Well, long story short....Jacob was #1 as the most popular boy's name for the 2000's, and Emma is #3. Would that put any of you off from choosing that as your baby name? Or do you figure it's just such a wonderful name that you shouldn't be upset there are hundreds of thousands of them scattered about, and use it anyway. :lol:

my daughter is Hannah which is always popular but it didnt stop me using it

I prefer less used names, and previously probably would have been put off using a name in the top 5 popularity lists. However recently I've thought about it & decided that it wouldn't put me off - after all, even if they end up being one of a number in their class with the same name it's only a few years out of their life & as soon as they're out in the world you can't predict how many/few people they will come across with the same name.

I'm sure that makes NO sense at all but what I'm trying to say is if you like the name use it!

Like maybebaby, I deliberately went for a name out of the Top 1000, but have since met (in real life) 3 other Connies :shock: suspect it's my fault for posting too much on here and making it popular :rotfl:

Anyway I would say like the others that if you love a name you should choose it anyway otherwise the name you will pick will be 'second best' in your head if that makes sense. Ha ha probably not.

Thomas is really popular it doesnt bother me though its a great name and will grow with him,
aslong as there isnt too many in your family i shouldnt think it would matter
xx

All the way through my pregnancy the name we were going to call bubs was going to be

COBY or TOBY

I had never ever heard Coby anywhere and me and OH had our heart set on it, towards the end i realised that i only liked it because no one else had it and it was different, i am so glad that when he was born we both just looked at him and said

Benjamin, yes its common but its a blummin lovely name and it suits him so much, he could never have been a coby and now i hate that name.....lol

OH picked our LOs name. I was really put off as it's been the number one boys name here for 13 years!! But was called him Jack from the 20 week scan onwards so felt we couldn't change it then! I also wanted to use the French spelling as my family are French (Jacques) but as soon as he was born, all the MWs had noted his name as 'Jack' I thought it would be an effort to correct them, and if I was thinking that then, poor Jack would be doing that all his life. It's annoying enough for me correcting people to say my name is spelt L-u-c-i-e!

My choice for a girls name was Lilly-May (My Nans names are Lilliane and May) but have since heard a few people using that combo. It won't put me off though, as it's meaningful to me.

I always said that when I had kids I would choose unusual names.
But when it came down it, we choes names that we loved, and tbh didn't care where they were in the charts!

I think Ruby(the name we have chosen for our little girl!) is/was in the top 10 this year and last (if i remember rightly!) my mum was like "ooooooooh its too common you cant have that". the thing is, if you like the name, does it matter how common it is??? i couldn't imagine calling my baby anything else but Ruby - it doesnt matter to me whether it is common or not!! :D

I wanted names which weren't unheard of but also weren't common. I didnt want names which my kids would have to always spell either. Isla and Morgan seemed perfect, although it does annoy me now when i hear of other kids with the same name. The names are much more popular in Scotland too which is where hubby is from, this was important to him that they had Scottish names and i was happy to oblige. Isla does seem to be getting much more popular now tho :evil:

OH and i agreed that he would choose the name for a boy and i would choose the girls' name.... He chose Dylan Lewis.

I thought Dylan was a really popular name but when we registered him the registra said she hadnt heard of many dylans of late.

I chose Oliva Grace if we had a girl and it was only when i checked the charts that i saw 'Grace' was 1st and 'Olivia' second. It didn't put me off though as i loved the names

I loved Dylan and it is growing inpopularity...see above post LOL but it means when there are door signs and cups are there in his name

OH chose the name Willow Summer and to start with i really didnt like it but all through my pregnancy we never chose another girls name so by the time she was born i couldnt imagine calling her anything else, he chose the name because he liked it it didnt really have anything to do with being popular we didnt know what we were having we were team green all though my pregnancy and for a boy we had the name Harry Ray and Harry is quite common now.

OH choose Lola's name and it didn't really bother me where it was in the name charts :)

I deliberately chose a less popular name, and wouldn't dream of using a Top 50.

For one, I hate my surname, and I'd hate my child to be known by that if they were one of 3 in a class. Plus my name was less popular and I enjoyed that as a child (it's more popular now). Finally, names chosen for family/significance aside, I just think it's a bit unimaginative to name your child something that they'll share with countless others of their generation.

And it does 'age' your child; I've lost count of the amount of Sarahs, Andrews and Stevens I know :lol:

All that said, as Jade and evie put it, names are only popular cause people like them, so at least you know it'll raise smiles rather than eyebrows (as Stanley still inexplicably does to some) :D

I don't like popular names, not because they are not nice, I love paige for example but its their commonness in terms of frequency I don't like... I wanted to give my girls something different... saying that Tia wasn't a very popular name but it became popular...mind I was going to call her Alannah, which is still an obscure name :lol: So theres no guarantee that if you choose a unique name this year it will still be unique in the years to come :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back