Q for people who hate popular names

I wanted my baby's name to be one of someone I'd never met in real life. So a name we didn't have any preconceptions over.

After all this faffing, the fact I got my name for Blake after Blake Harrison who plays the dumb one (Neil) from the inbetweeners amuses my friends a lot!

I don't like popular names either.

When we chose my eldest name Josh, it wasn't popular 14 years ago but it is now!

My 2nd boy Dominic, I didn't know anyone with it. I did want to name him Riley but hubbys family put us off it..grrr.

This time round I wanted a little something different and chose Drake..hubbys family yet again don't like my choice..'oo you know they'll call him ducky when he's older don't you' Oh piss off, I wasn't changing it..no fecking way!

I think when choosing a name you might want to take into account how popular it might get not just how popular it is now.

If chloé was a boy she would have been Layton :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Dominic or Drake was a girl I wouldve had Darcy (got a thing for D names lol)

I would have had Sadie if josh was a girl.

If Alexander was a girl e was going to be aroara :) we only ever had issabelle for bells but it wasn't popular then :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I chose Rhys for my first and it was not popular at the time! now it is quite!
Then we chose Toby, and it's a classic , a few every few years , but not many
Then we went for Briony, I played hockey with a young girl years ago called Briony and she was lovely, and so that stuck!

Then fokr my last baby - We chose Devon as the boys name when we had Briony nearly 9 years ago, and so I love it still, OH knows it has stood the test of time, even tho he was not keen 9 years ago, so happy for me to choose now. It's an american name and for us - after the Devon (charector in Knight rider - the original old show!) hopefully not too popular in the future.

His middle name will be Rory (after a lion really!)

Last edited:
My first name for charley was going to be Rudi. I still love that name cos I've never heard it before but Tim didn't like it! If he was a girl, I had Rosealie from twilight picked!

I wouldn't pick a really really popular name, and wouldn't pick a name someone I knew either had or wanted, but that said, our choice for a girl is Lily which is about number 8 on the popularity list but at least no one else we know has a kid with that name.

I adore the name Lacey, if it's a girl at the mo I'm about 95% sure she'll be Lacey Jennifer :)
I find boys names tougher, I love Sam & Hubby likes Robin x

I'm no going for anything I've heard anyone else called theirs before, for example, I really have grown to Elise. I also like Sofia, I know that's a little popular but k think sophie is more popular. Ava is another one on our top ten, I don't know any one with that either! We shall see! X

Lexi - My niece is called Sophia Elise. Whenever we tell anyone her name people always comment how nice it is.

We liked Elise but in the end settled on Ella Sophia. I now know that Ella is becoming a popular name these days but neither DH or I have ever met or known of anyone called Ella except for Ella Fitzgerald.

when we named rhys i didnt know of any more,there are now 5 in his yr!!! he is almost 14!
i dont know of any other eoin about(he is 12!) but he hates it as no one ever says it right(its owen)
then i chose sofie,my dh wanted sophie for both the boys so i gave in and changed the spelling!(she is 10)
next is lia,again i only knew of 1 other but changed spelling,now though there a few!(shes 9)
then we have marley jay,he is named by my older children as we went to the carrabien and listened to bob marley a lot,they wanted bobby but didnt go with our surname. at the time i didnt know of any other marleys,now i have heard of a few and meet a lot of dogs called marley thanks to the film!!!
this baby will be libbi mai.i wanted lilly but have 2 cousins called liiy so coulnt really

i really loved nicole n paige..... then OH suggested Layla and its just stuck and i dont kno any others... i think its ranked between 30-40 so hopefully she wont b 1 of 5 in her class at school like me!

x

I hate over used or normal or popular or traditional sounding names. Hate hate hate.

My daughter is called Kaya because I love the name Kai or Cai for a boy and me ex hated Freya, Daisy, Florence, Sunflower... Kaya/ Kaia was in the name dictionary. Turns out there are a few out there! She gets called Kia (like kia-ora the drink...) and some pronounce it Kay with an a on the end - pee's me off - but I've always called her Kai or Kai-Kai, and it suits her.

I know Freya and Daisy are more popular these days but if ours is a girl she will be Daisy, if a boy then he will be Sid. Daisy is a name we both love, my OH asked for that one. And Sid was my idea - Sidney means St Dennis. His father was Dennis Sidney, and his father's father was Sidney. So it'd be in memory of both of them, and whilst it's not unusual, it's not common anymore.

I wanted Daisy Tigerlily Diana (after his mother Diana who passed away fretfuly this august) or if he really won't let me have the Tigerlily then maybe Daisy Diana Christina - that was my middle name from birth, not used now, which is my mum's name (though she's known as Tina - would Daisy Tina Diana work?)

As for Sidney's middle names... Surname will be Holmes. I can't put Nathan in there after my brother because on the off chance my daughter would be my only child, she is called Kaya Nathalie, so he's got his stake in there already! and my OH is an only child. Funnily enough, both my grandpas were called Dennis. But they were both *******s for different reasons - didn't even meet one of them. And my father is John, as is OH's mum's brother, and we both do not want that name included for our own personal reasons.

So really not sure about the full boy's name. But there's about 24 weeks left to work it out I suppose!

this doesn't really answer your question directly but you can see how I choose names - hopefully it kind of answers it in a roundabout way!

Personally, if there was a name that I liked and it was in the top 10 or something it would put me off. I'd be worried that people thought I had no imagination. Silly really, there are so many nice names out there but I just wanted to be a bit diff.

I know Poppy and Oscar aren't exactly unusual, but I loved them. Strange tho cos if they were ranked 1st most popular I wouldn't have had them.

I don't know any other kids in school with these names. Oddly enough, my other daughter is called Nell which I thought was unusual and there is another Nell in her school lol!

i really loved nicole n paige..... then OH suggested Layla and its just stuck and i dont kno any others... i think its ranked between 30-40 so hopefully she wont b 1 of 5 in her class at school like me!

x

Good choice! My niece is called Layla...spelt the same way too xx

Im one of those "in the middle" people, i dont like names that are too popular, but i dont like names that are unheard of.

When i was pregnant it was a toss up between Brooke and Summer, Summer became massively popular toward the end of my pregnancy and Brooke was still fairly uncommon so we went with that. Since she's been born though ive seen quite a few people using the name Brooke!!

PurpleHippy - I am friends with alot of hippy/alternative people and nearly all their babies are called Kaya or Daisy so I guess popularity is relative!! Lol. My sisters son is called Kai and she thought it was very unusual - until he went to school and became best friends with a boy in his class also called Kai! More than anything it is important to me for a name to have a good meaning behind it - can't stand made up names that mean absolutely nothing or are named after a car or a designer label!! x

can't stand made up names that mean absolutely nothing or are named after a car or a designer label!! x

I totally get this!!! Weirded out that you know a lot of Kaya's but it's still unusual enough and was an excuse to call her Kai for short :dance: i'm waiting for a kid to get named 'Rocha John Rocha' like in the advert - some idiot is bound to do it! An ex's dog was coco which for a chocolate labrador is cute - til it becomes apparent his ex called it that short for Coco Chanel... Ugh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back