Making up bottles

Sue Clare

Reaction score
Since having Max, I've always boiled the water in kettle, left 30 mins, then added powder and fed to Max right away, however this is a bit of a faff and was wondering now that Max is 3 months old, if anyone else makes feeds up in the morning and keeps them in the fridge?
I did this with my 2 girls and they are both fine, but HV said we can't do that now!? X

I make up batches of 3 feeds hun. Well, 3 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon/evening. I did try making them fresh but O just will not wait for food.

we make every bottle fresh, but use a flask!

just boil the kettle and leave for 30mins, pour into the flask. Then when baby is ready you have the water right there in the flask ready to use.

much safer than storing premade up bottles in the fridge.

Wss^

We do the same, it's easy and quick xxx

Double post

Last edited:
I put the water in the bottles and keep them in cupboard, then add powder when needed and heat.

Touch wood all is OK so far but I've only been using the powder for about 3 weeks?

xxxxx

Last edited:
Thanks ladies. Does anyone know why hv's are against making the
feeds up and storing in fridge? X

I put the water in the bottles and keep them in cupboard, then add powder when needed and heat.

Touch wood all is OK so far but I've only been using the powder for about 3 weeks?

xxxxx

Do you heat in microwave or jug of boiling water?
I've got a bottle warmer but it's rubbish IMO xxx

I boil the kettle, leave for 25-30mins, pour into bottles and add formula and I make up a few bottles at a time, leave to cool abit then put them in the fridge and warm in a jug of boiling water when required.

Touch wood LO has been fine and she's 6 months now!

Gawd knows why the Hvs have changed their minds again coz thus is how a lot of people use to make and store bottles! I just never asked my Hv if it was ok and she's never asked how I've been doing it!

Jill x x

We use the flask method too. Wouldn't forgive myself if lo got sick from not killing off the bacteria!

I think it's because even if you add the powder to the water at 70 degrees as recommended to kill most of the bacteria, some bacteria may still be present and storing bottles allows the bacterial content to start to multiply, which increases the chance of infection for lo x

Thanks ladies. Does anyone know why hv's are against making the
feeds up and storing in fridge? X
Because the powder isn't sterile and bacteria can multiply quickly even in the fridge. Water needs to be a certain temp to kill off bacteria.

If I'm in the house I boil kettle and then leave for 30 mins then make feed and cool. If I'm going out I put my water in bottles ans when I'm out Ile pour in powder an heat. Told hv this at six months and she said " if you've been doing it for 2 1/2 months and she is fine then keep doing it" I keep my bottles of water in insulated bags

My little boy is on SMA Staydown milk and that has to be made with water chilled from the fridge (states in instructions), it cannot be made with warm water, therefore I don't see what difference it makes tbh, but who knows!!

Tired Mummy to Colby Jacques born 4/2/2013

xxxxx

Do you heat in microwave or jug of boiling water?
I've got a bottle warmer but it's rubbish IMO xxx

Jug of boiling water

xxxx

Am struggling to get my head around best way to do this at the moment I am using the ready made cartoons just cos its easier but I really do nees to start using the powder. Once the water is in the flask how long is that water ok to use for ? And then do you just warm the bottle agin in a jug or in microwave ? Making each one fresh I just don't think will work Harry gets very grumpy if his bottle takes to long to arrive x

I usually do a flask first thing in morning and use that for her first 2 bottles, then another flask for her last 2 bottles. I don't need to re warm the bottles as the flask keep the water at a right temp anyways x when she was little I had to cool the bottles in jug of water for a few mins as it was still a bit hot for her x

Sorry to jump on your thread but for those who use ready made bottles - how does that not develop bacteria? We use them occasionally and try can be kept in the fridge for 48 hours yet you couldn't keep a freshly made one for this amount of time, anyone know how this is?

I've always make Greyson's bottles in advance by boiling the water, waiting 20-25 minutes, making up with formula, then putting in the fridge. I then heat them in the microwave, before shaking like mad to remove any heat spots and then feeding.

He's 10 months old, and has been ill once (a cold caught from daddy) - so perfectly fine! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back