ANOTHER question about making up bottles!

Lulu_Laroo

Reaction score
Right, I know this has been asked a thousand times, and up until now I've been happy with my way of making up bottles. I boil the kettle, wait around 20mins, then add the powder. I make up around 4 bottles at a time, store them at the back of the fridge and warm them slightly when Poppy wants one. The reason I do it this way is because powder formula is not sterile, and you need to add freshly boiled water (left no longer than half an hour) to kill off any bacteria, according to the food standards agency website.

BUT it's getting expensive buying loads of the ready-made cartons of formula to take out with me when we go out, and lots of people have suggested I use cooled boiled water and add the powder with a dispenser when poppy wants it, or take half cooled water and top up with a flask. I'm just worried about doing this because it won't kill the bacteria?
Now Poppy is three months old, I'm wondering if it will be ok to do this now she's no longer a newborn? I'm such a worrier!
Have any of you ladies done it this way and had your LO have tummy upsets? How does everyone else do it?

Sorry for yet another long post :oooo:

I think i'm doing the same sort of thing as you, I wash & sterilise 4 at a time, pour in the freshly boiled water, add the formula straight away, leave to sit untill luke warm, then store in the fridge, when needed I put one in a jug of boiled water to heat. When going out I take how ever many is needed out in the cool bag & heat when needed. I did this with my first & never had any problems or tummy upsets, infact my HV & MW at the time told me to do it that way. Duno if the regulations have changed now..:roll:

Oh and my wee 1 is feeding constantly just now so the 4 bottles are used up really quickly!

:)

Hun, I've been making bottles up with cooled boiled water since I gave up breastfeeding at 12 days & B is absolutely perfect with it.

I thought you couldn't use the bottles after 2ish hours (I found when I made then up in advance they smelt...!) and tbh I'd be more worried about bacteria in bottles that had been left for hours as opposed to powder going into fresh cooled water.

And the sterile bit - I think when B weans, none of her food is going to be sterile, I won't be scrubbing her carrots to within an inch of their lives! And she's prob picking up more germs from shoving her hands in her gob!

Poppy will be fine if you try it this way x

I always used cooled boiled water with Adam then put the formula in when required and im doing the same this time, i just make sure that i discard it about an hour after its been mixed.
Adam was fine and Elexia has been too x x

I leave kettle water to go completey cold sometimes and my son has never had any problems. I did use the thermas flask method till he was 6 months then started to make them up x

I made all Flynn's feeds fresh until he was just over a month old, now I mainly use cooled boiled water, but often top it up with some fresh boiled water so that it's warm (before adding the formula) or warm it in some boiled water (but this takes longer and sometimes he just wont wait!) when we're going out, I put freshly boiled water into his bottle so that its either the right temp or cold by the time he needs it and then add the formula when he wakes up! Flynn's always been fine! x

I make up LO's bottles by using cooled boiled water and adding the formula as and when I need it. LO has always had room temperature bottles since he was born.
I've made up the bottles like since since he was born and never had any problems.
I make up his bottles every night for the next day.

Thanks ladies. Do you store the bottles of cooled boiled water in the fridge or just out on the side at room temperature? Do you have any problems getting the powder to dissolve in the cool water?

I store them on the side at room temperature and have no probs getting the powder to dissolve.

I normally buy container for the formula and carry bottle of water at the same time. So when it comes to feeding time if am in restaurant or cafe I ask for hot water. first half the water, put the quantity of formula powder i need, shake it well then cool it off with cool water. Ive heard its not good to make the formula in cool water but some says is okay... I just follow my own routine and its convenient. Or make a bottle in hot water in go and let it cool by itself by the time feed.. its nice and warm..

I put the water in the bottles and store them on the kitchen side and put the milk in when he needs a feed .. if i go out i measure the milk out in dispensers. this was they way i did it with Brooke and now i do it with Charlie.

I put the water in the bottles and store them on the kitchen side and put the milk in when he needs a feed .. if i go out i measure the milk out in dispensers. this was they way i did it with Brooke and now i do it with Charlie.

Thats how I did it with Adam now im doing the same with Elexia x x

Ditto and no probs with powder, just give a good shake x

I've been reading up about making up bottles & it seems the way I've been doing it isn't the "right" way. So as of last night we're making up each feed from scratch, it said the bacteria really grows when the formula is left, even if in fridge, & u cant leave the boiled water out either, it needs to be above a certain temp to kill off the bacteria, so now we're sterilising everything & making up feed with boiling water & putting in jug of cold water to cool. Gonna be a pain but hey ho...

:roll:

i usually make up the bottles as i go.... its a pain and you have to be organised but i would feel so guilty if she got sick because of something i did. an hour before she is due to get fed (she is like clockwork every 3.5hrs) i measure out just boiled water in a bottle. once its cooled down slightly i add the formula. in an hours time its cooled to the temp she likes.

i also have a lot of the small ready to use cartons for emergencies! and also ready to go at night in case she wakes up.

when we are out i pre fill the bottles with water and put them in the insulated part of my bag then bring the powder with in a dispenser - i have 3 now!!!

you can get larger cartons of ready to use that keep for 48hrs in the fridge - they are cheaper than the smaller ones and not that much more expensive than powder - think its £2.19 for a litre.

i usually make up the bottles as i go.... its a pain and you have to be organised but i would feel so guilty if she got sick because of something i did. an hour before she is due to get fed (she is like clockwork every 3.5hrs) i measure out just boiled water in a bottle. once its cooled down slightly i add the formula. in an hours time its cooled to the temp she likes.

i also have a lot of the small ready to use cartons for emergencies! and also ready to go at night in case she wakes up.

when we are out i pre fill the bottles with water and put them in the insulated part of my bag then bring the powder with in a dispenser - i have 3 now!!!

you can get larger cartons of ready to use that keep for 48hrs in the fridge - they are cheaper than the smaller ones and not that much more expensive than powder - think its £2.19 for a litre.

I'm the same, I was feeling too bad doing it the way I was incase he got ill. Better safe than sorry I suppose. And we're managing to fit our outings around feeds so its not too bad just now.

:)

I'm just making them up as I go along now. I didn't know whether it was ok to make feeds and keep them in the fridge, and I didn't know if it was ok to add powder to cooled water, so I've decided to do it just as the box tells me to! Poppy is pretty much like clockwork too, so I know when to make one up in time for her being hungry.

Last edited:
They say you sholdnt use formula after its been made for two hours. Personally I wouldnt, and especially with the bacteria in a fridge!

The way I do it, Is boil the kettle, and say im making an 8oz bottle.. I put in 5/6 oz of cold water from the fridge thats in its own container, Then boiling water on the top then the powder. Insta bottle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back