Making up bottles..would it be OK if..? *It seems not :-(*

do you do the cooled and boiled water half and half??
when i do half cooled and half boiled, and test it on my wrist, its always seems a lot hotter than 20 degrees-ish :think: :think:

next time i do it i will test the temperature and let you know what it is half n half x

Pretty much from the start i have boiled the kettle let it cool for 30 mins add to bottle and then store in the cupboard, when willows feed is due is add the powder shake and give to her i have never warmed it up and it has never hurt her, its only recently that people have been saying about the powder not being sterile, it has never donw willow any harm and i am not changing it now as ahe is one in a few weeks.

Becky&Willow said:
Pretty much from the start i have boiled the kettle let it cool for 30 mins add to bottle and then store in the cupboard, when willows feed is due is add the powder shake and give to her i have never warmed it up and it has never hurt her, its only recently that people have been saying about the powder not being sterile, it has never donw willow any harm and i am not changing it now as ahe is one in a few weeks.

i hope that puts your mind at rest beatlesfan :) :hug:

well yes I guess it does, I am hearing lots of stories like this.... and of course the statistics as SweetCheeks24 has pointed out are very small... there is so much to think about and such a responsibility for all these decisions... no doubt this is just the start of the worrying as a parent wondering if I am doing the right thing!!! I shall prob still be worrying when Imogen has her own babies!!! :lol: silly mummy.

Beatlesfan said:
well yes I guess it does, I am hearing lots of stories like this.... and of course the statistics as SweetCheeks24 has pointed out are very small... there is so much to think about and such a responsibility for all these decisions... no doubt this is just the start of the worrying as a parent wondering if I am doing the right thing!!! I shall prob still be worrying when Imogen has her own babies!!! :lol: silly mummy.

:hug: Your not silly hun, think we all worry like mad until we find the right balance for ourselves. Doubt the worry ever goes away with a baby :wall: Your doing a fab job :hug:

I have asked every midwife I have seen in the last 12 days about this! They have all said that you can make up the water in the bottles, then add formula and warm up/not warm up depending on baby. Ella will take bottles at room temp, so I make up 4 at a time with the water (as that is how many go in the steriliser!), then add the powder as and when I need it.

Personally I think that the guidance is all a bit new and noone really knows what is right/wrong!

I make up a bottle of milk before I go to bed, boiling water, add the milk powder, shake it, then add cooler water in to add up to the right amount. Give it a few mins to cool down then pop it in the fridge. Then pop it in the micro wave when needed.

The next morning I make 3 bottles up exactly the same. I've never had a problem with this, Joseph has never been ill/sick from it.

I never let a milk I have made, go further than 24hrs. But if I make bottles up and say I have a few left by the end of the evening, I throw them, the milk not the bottle :lol:

I suppose it is personal choice and how your bubs reacts to the milk. But I think if everything is sterilized properly and kept clean, you can't go wrong. My belief, not what experts say.

I really struggled with this when we brought Ruby home....asked each midwife on our home visits for advice and none would give a definate idea of what was wrong or right...we were so scared of doing it wrong that we actually took the sterilizer and kettle to bed every night, when she woke we would sterilize the bottle and wait for the kettle, make up a bottle then cool it in cold water :oops: It took ages and Ruby wasnt a happy bunny :(

After a few nights of this we used to out her bottles on the sterlise in the morning, boil a kettle, allow it to cool then make up 6oz bottles, and store them in fridge. When she wanted a feed, pop the bottle into microwave, add powder and it was done.

When we were out, I took a flask of boiled water from kettle, tipped out 2oz of the cold water in the bottle, topped it up with 2oz from flask, add powder (we use Tommee Tipee bottle which have a powder dispenser that sits in the neck of the bottle until you are ready to mix it) and hey presto, perfect.

xxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back