making bottles up - please help

Kimbo

Reaction score
please can someone help me because i'm having a bit of a domestic with someone on here about how to make bottles up safely! lol

right we boil the kettle
pour boiling water into the bottles
leave to cool for 20 mins or so
add powder
leave to cool a little while longer
then put them in the fridge
take one out when needed and warm up
made up bottles can stay in the fridge for 24 hours

is that right?? and SAFE???????

ok.. after a looonnggg talk on msn.. il be the 1st to answer u lol..

1st of all.. look on the back of your formula packet.. it should say something like... http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/formula/makingabottle/

1) Fill the kettle with fresh water, bring to the boil and allow it to cool slightly; ideally the water should be between 70 and 90 degrees C so use boiled water that has been left to cool for no more than half an hour.

2) Check the amount of water needed and the number of scoops of powder to use on the packet.

3) Pour the required amount of water into each bottle.
It's important to put the water in first; this will give an accurate measure. If the powder goes in first it ruins the ratio of water to powder, and makes the feed too strong.

4) Check the water level in the bottle; stand the bottle on the worktop and crouch down so you can see the water level is in line with the marking on the side of the bottle. If you look from above it may not be accurate.

5) Add the right number of scoops of powder to each bottle. Use the scoop provided in the packet as it measures just the right amount of powder.

6) Measure the powder and level off the scoop using the back of a clean knife, or the leveller provided in the pack.

7) Do not pack the powder down as this will make the feed too strong.

8) Make sure you add just the right number of scoops of powder. Don't add one for luck as that will make the feed too strong.

9) Place the disc on the neck of each bottle and screw the cap on tightly.

10) Shake carefully to mix the powder. Before feeding your baby, test the temperature of the formula milk. If you need to, cool the milk by holding the bottle, with a cap covering the teat, under cold running water.

You should not store bottles of made up powdered infant formula milk, as the powder itself is not sterile and there is a small risk that made up formula could become contaminated with micro-organisms. If you have bottles of expressed breastmilk they should be stored in the main part of the fridge (not the door) to keep them cold.
Never keep feeds warm as bacteria can grow very quickly in milk. When your baby has finished feeding, throw any left over formula milk away.

i know other people will say yes its safe to store for 24hrs.. but midwives and doctors say it isnt.. so i think the only way to know bacteria hasnt bred in the milk is to make it up fresh each time..

This is what I do:

Boil kettle and leave for 30 mins

Pour water into sterilised bottle and add appropriate amount of scoops.

Leave to cool in bowl of cold water.

Put in fridge.

Take out as and when needed and heat up.

Of course this isn't what the current recommendations suggest.

This is taken from Clinical Paediatric Dietetics

If parents choose to make up feeds for up to 24 hours in advance, the bottles of formula should be cooled quickly and stored in a refrigerator at <5 degrees. These feeds can be warmed just before by standing the bottleds in a container of hot water.

They still recommend that you make each feed up from fresh but this is the safety advice you need to follow should you choose to make feeds up 24 hours in advance.

The most important part of all the advice given though is the fact that you should use boiled water left to cool for no longer than 30 minutes, this is because the water should be at 70 degrees which is cool enough not to scald the powder yet hot enough to make it sterile (the powder is not sterile)

Here are the Goverment Guidelines regarding what you are supposed to do.

It's your choice though. You do what you feel best doing just make sure you informed as much as possible and don't let anyone else make you feel bad about how you are doing it.

There are plenty of guidelines out there, they are not a law. Afterall guidelines also state the safest place for your baby to sleep is in it's own cot with his/her feet towards the bottom yet some people still choose to co sleep. Not that I think thats a bad thing I just think we all have to make our own personal choices regarding the way we look after our own children :hug:

Sweetcheeks24 said:
It's your choice though. You do what you feel best doing just make sure you informed as much as possible and don't let anyone else make you feel bad about how you are doing it.

There are plenty of guidelines out there, they are not a law. Afterall guidelines also state the safest place for your baby to sleep is in it's own cot with his/her feet towards the bottom yet some people still choose to co sleep. Not that I think thats a bad thing I just think we all have to make our own personal choices regarding the way we look after our own children :hug:

I agree with you..you know what i think kim...go with what you want :hug:

I make it fresh every time. It is not a problem for me to add formula to the water each time, and it doesnt take much time at all.

What I do is, in the morning fill bottles with boiling water and leave them with the tops on. And each time I need a bottle, I take one, where the water is already cool, boil kettle again and add hot boiling water to the one which is already in the bottles to get the water the temperature I need. I usually have a sip from the bottle to test out if it is ok. It should be just warm. Then I add up formula. You have to add up as many scoops as there are oz. Example- 6oz=6scoops (with no top, there is usually a small thing in the pack, wherte you can even the formula)

:hug:

Hope this helps :hug:

Haylii&&Mia said:
Sweetcheeks24 said:

I agree with you..you know what i think kim...go with what you want :hug:

I AGREE!

My boy has a little sleep with me in bed at nights, only because he can wake up at 4am, gurgling away, I put him in with me and he is that happy, he nods straight off. Starting to think, he's gonna kick me out of my own bed soon :rotfl:

Anyhow, I used to make his milk up from fresh when he was new born, up until recently but for the past 3 weeks, I've been making 2 -3 bottles and placing them in the fridge, so that all I need to do is heat them up.

Joseph hasn't become ill, no side affects and if anything, he is more content, because he gets his food quicker.

It's up to you, what you do. Just don't take any crap with people telling you, you HAVE to do it this way. If you feel confident with your choice, then go with it.

You're the mother, they arn't!

i boil the kettle, let it cool for 1/2 hour, then pour into sterilised bottles

for the formula i put it in the tomme tippe formula pots and leave in top of bottle and put lid on

then mix water and powder when needed and feed. i kept the water at room temp and alana was happy with this. so i didnt need to heat it or any thing.

this is what they look like, was really handy when out and about too. just grab the bottles i needed and never worried about heating or cooling

TT.jpg

I've tried EVERYTHING!!

This is the best way that works for me!

I used to make up 24hours worth, but then sometimes I would get a real bad smell from the bottle when I took the lid off, so I thought it might be that the milk was going off.

Current guidelines say you should only make up a feed at a time.

In the morning I -

Sterilise 6 bottles

Boil a kettle of fresh water

Pour boiled water into bottles. I make two bottles of 7oz water (one for during the night feed and the other for first thing in the morning). The rest I fill with 4oz of water.

Put the lids on and once they've cooled a bit I stick them in the fridge.

Then, 15 mins before Mhairi is due a feed I boil a kettle and top up the 4 oz bottles to 7 oz, then I add the powder shake, and it's usually at the right temp.

The during the night feed I put the 7oz bottle into my Lindam day and night bottle warmer, then add the powder once it's warm!

If I'm going out during the day I top one of the bottles up, stick it in the AVENT therma bag and use a powder dispenser when I'm out.

It took me a good few months to find a system that worked for me, so don't worry about it Kim, you'll soon find something that suits you!

xxx

Kim both my HV and MW said it was fine to make up the feeds and keep them in the fridge for 24 hours as long as they were kept at the BACK of the fridge where it was coolest.

I made my feeds like that until recently. Now I have changed how I make them because it's quicker.

I now sterilise my bottles and put 3oz of boiled water into them. Let them cool and store them in the cupboard. Then when I need a feed I boil the kettle and top the bottle up to 4oz with boiling water and tip in my formula which I keep measured out in little pots (25p from Asda) to make it quicker. Shake and we're ready. The oz of boiling water makes her feed the perfect temperature for her.

I found that by doing it this way Evie gets her milk faster because we are only boiling the kettle instead of boiling the kettle and then putting the ice cold milk in a jug of water to warm up. It cuts a lot of waiting out for her cos she's impatient when she's hungry!

It's a great way of making bottles and quicker for LO too...and it gives me more room in the fridge too!!!
Hope that helps x

i was told to use the made up bottles within an hour so this is how i do it and im finding it very quick and easy so far

sterilse bottles and leave to cool
boil kettle and leave to cool
add boiled water to bottles and leave in a cuboard

heat boiled water in microwave for 10 sec ( 3 oz) or 15 sex (4 oz)
add poweder
shake and serve !

if i go out ive got lil poweder containers to take the powder in , and i can heat up the water and put in a insultated bottle holder thing , then add the powder when needed .

my hv said its much better to keep made up bottles cold as poss till needed so she siggested again this insualted bottle holder , but dont warm made up bottles in microwave , you'd do it with hot water kinda thing

just wanted to add.. that although some may make up feeds for 24hrs ( i did when charlotte was a baby as it was ok then) bacteria cant be seen by the naked eye and it only takes once for bacteria to breed in the bottle for your baby to get sick..

personally the risk however small has still been found to be a risk, the advise wouldnt be there if there was no evidence to show that feeds made up and kept cause problems. ive waited a long time for this baby and will protect him as much as i can, he might cry a little while waiting for a bottle if he moves to formula, ut so what id rather him wauit a few minutes than be in pain from sickness and bad belly..

To be honest I think theres a 'risk' with everything and lots of people dont stick to the guidlines but babies are perfectly fine. As said above the guidelines say not to co-sleep but mothers still choose to do so, its personal choice in my opinion.

The adding some water and allowing to cool then adding more boiling water & the powder when you need to feed seems a pretty quick and easy way to do things so maybe give that a try? :hug:

TBH Lisa your really coming across as preachy.

Have you researched that statistics on infection caused by making up infant milk 24 hours in advance. Cos the actual stats are - 50 babies in the last 20 years have had this infection in the whole world . This is the reason guidelines within the UK were changed. (I will try post link to source when I find it again)

That means you have more chance of falling down the stairs holding LO.. are you going to move into a bungalow?

By all means do what you feel is best for your own LO and breastfeeding Edward is brilliant and I admire you for that but get off other people backs just cos they don't do things the way you do. We are all trying to make our own way in this big parenting world and I think some of your posts are really judgemental.

You may not have meant it this way but I have kinda took offence to your post, feels as though you suggest because I make feeds up in advance I am not protecting my child as well as you are with Edward. You are no better parent than I am, I am no better than you. We both do our best.

Its good that you give advice as well as me, it's good to see what everyone does but going on about something isn't the right way to get your point across.

When Keeley was a little baby i use to make up the bottles and store them in the fridge for 24hrs and it never did her any harm :)

As she got older and i was weaning her i just put the water in the bottles and put them in the fridge.

If you worried about the bottles try buying cartons of formula :)

They are guidelines not set in stone rules

Do whatever you feel comfortable with Kim :hug:

Edit to my previous posts it was 50 cases in last 20 years..

This is the info

Q Why these new recommendations ?

A Recently there has been concern internationally about Enterobacter sakazakii in powdered infant formula. This advice is provided to assist parents and caregivers.

Q What is Enterobacter sakazakii?

A It is a bacteria which is found in the environment and can sometimes contaminate food, and this includes powdered infant formula. The bacteria may be present in the powder on purchase or can be introduced at the time of preparation. Using safe methods of preparation and storage of the formula will reduce the risk of illness.

(A more detailed Guideline for preparing Infant Formula safely is attached.)

Q How large is this risk ?

A In the last 20 years, there have been approximately 50 cases reported worldwide of Enterobacter sakazakii infection in infants under 60 days old.

SOURCE

just a thought surely thats not the only bacteria that can grow?? those stats are from Enterobacter sakazakii... what about all the others?i just googled to have a look...

Candidiasis
Diarrhea
Gastroenteritis
Haemophilus Influenza
Meningitis in preterm infants
Necrotizing Enterocolitis
Ear Infection
Pneumococcal Disease
Respiratory Infections
Respiratory Syncytial Virus
Salmonellosis
Sepsis in Preterm Infants
Urinary Tract Infections
Anemia and Iron Deficiency
Autoimmune Thyroid Disease
Constipation and Anal Fissures
Undescended Testicle
Esophogeal and Gastrid Lesions
Gastroesophogeal Reflex
Inguinal Hernia
Morbidity and Mortality
Pyloric Stenosis
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
Wheezing
Allergies
Asthma
Eczema..... the list goes on... it was found on wikipedia

paradysso said:
just a thought surely thats not the only bacteria that can grow?? those stats are from Enterobacter sakazakii... what about all the others?

Yes your right, the other main ones which can cause quite a bad tummy are salmonella and one other one, sorry forget the name now. Anyway those are within the powder which is why you are advised to use boiled water when adding powder in order to kill those bacteria.

NOTE: With anything I put on here i'd tell anyone reading to do your own research if your unsure of things. This information is what I have found and made my decision on. I'm not for one minute suggesting anyone does what I do without informing themselves properly :D

Sweetcheeks24 said:
TBH Lisa your really coming across as preachy.

Have you researched that statistics on infection caused by making up infant milk 24 hours in advance. Cos the actual stats are - 50 babies in the last 20 years have had this ingnfection in the whole world . This is the reason guidelines within the UK were changed. (I will try post link to source when I find it again)

That means you have more chance of falling down the stairs holding LO.. are you going to move into a bungalow?

By all means do what you feel is best for your own LO and breastfeeding Edward is brilliant and I admire you for that but get off other people backs just cos they don't do things the way you do. We are all trying to make our own way in this big parenting world and I think some of your posts are really judgemental.

You may not have meant it this way but I have kinda took offence to your post, feels as though you suggest because I make feeds up in advance I am not protecting my child as well as you are with Edward. You are no better parent than I am, I am no better than you. We both do our best.

Its good that you give advice as well as me, it's good to see what everyone does but going on about something isn't the right way to get your point across.

my posts arnt judgemental.. ive given kim advise the correct advise that doctors/midwifes and health visitors give. and ive said its up 2 u what u do with ur own kid.
everyone who makes up 24hr feeds will find some offence to what ive said because your already gonna be in an densive frame of mind as ur going against the advise on the back of the tin.

Sorry Paradysso - I didn't see the rest of your post since you edited it after I had replied :D Like I said on my previous post I would NEVER advise anyone to follow my advice.. I am only telling people they should look into things themselves - research properly. Your right some of those others on the list are definately a risk and most dealt with by sterlising the powder.

But if you want more details of that list you made maybe speak to your health visitor?

tbh i was just thinking if salmonella etc is in the powder and we boil water to kill these bugs. are we not making them grow more by letting the water cool in the kettle for half an hour before adding to formula? :think:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back