How do you make up your bottles?

I read that you are not supposed to use water that has been left to cool for more than 30 mins as the milk is not sterilised and it needs boiling water to srerilise it. I sterilise 5 or 6 bottles at a time and then make up all of the feeds with boiling water. I then cool them in a jug of cold water for about 5 mins and keep them in the fridge for up to 24 hours.

By the way I know they advise that you don't make bottles up in advance now but my mum always did it and she has 7 kids who are all fine. If you made every bottle up individually you wouldn't have time to do anything else.

Gemz said:
By the way I know they advise that you don't make bottles up in advance now but my mum always did it and she has 7 kids who are all fine. If you made every bottle up individually you wouldn't have time to do anything else.

I did the same when bottle feeding my son. Never found a probelm with it.

This has been really helpful - i've been panicing about this. The info I have been given so far from the hospital is no bottles made in advance - i should feed on demand, boil the water fresh, leave to cool for 30 min then add the formula etc. I cannot imagine coping with two hungry babies this way!

One of my ante-natal classes is going to cover this although the MW has said that the new guidelines say they should only tell us about breast-feeding and not cover bottle feeding at all! She said she is going to cover bottle feeding anyway for us as she says it's our choice and a healthy baby is the only important thing however it is fed!

Your suggestions have given me lots of ideas to think about.......

I've just read all of this and Im so confused :? :? :?

With Josh (and we're only talking 4 years ago) I used to put boiling water in the bottles, cool them in a sink full of cold water, add the formula and shake them before putting them in the fridge. So basically I made them in advance and kept them in the fridge til needed.

I used to make 6 every night which lasted until the following tea time when Id make some more. Why on earth cant you do this anymore?? Jesus, do they just say anything to put you off bottlefeeding or summit? :shock:

I do mine at night, I wash sterilise the bottles boil the water pour water into bottles then add the required powder leave to cool then put in the fridge before bed, i also heat the bottles up in the microwave! :oops: I used to make fresh bottles up for Alfie when he was newborn - 2 and a half months but hes older now got a stronger immune system and hes been fine no probs not to mention how much easier it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back