Making up bottles..would it be OK if..? *It seems not :-(*

Beatlesfan

Reaction score
I poured 6oz boiled water into sterilised bottles, kept them at room temp. then added 6 scoops of formula when LO needed feeding and use bottles within 24 hours of making up?

At the moment I am doing the above, but with 5oz water and then adding 1oz just boiled water to make the feed warmer. But when I go out I don't always have access to boiled water so I make a bottle with 6oz water and then LO has it at room temp. So now I am thinking... why not do this for all feeds, saves waiting for kettle to boil and avoids LO becoming dependent on warm feed all the time.

So my Qs are:

1. Is it ok to store boiled water at room temp. in bottles and use within 24 hours.
2. Is it Ok to add formula to room temp water - will it mix ok? I haven't seen any probs yet but be interested to know your views.

Thanks girls x

I poured 6oz boiled water into sterilised bottles, kept them at room temp. then added 6 scoops of formula when LO needed feeding and use bottles within 24 hours of making up?

At the moment I am doing the above, but with 5oz water and then adding 1oz just boiled water to make the feed warmer. But when I go out I don't always have access to boiled water so I make a bottle with 6oz water and then LO has it at room temp. So now I am thinking... why not do this for all feeds, saves waiting for kettle to boil and avoids LO becoming dependent on warm feed all the time.

So my Qs are:

1. Is it ok to store boiled water at room temp. in bottles and use within 24 hours.
2. Is it Ok to add formula to room temp water - will it mix ok? I haven't seen any probs yet but be interested to know your views.

Thanks girls x

i usually amke them all up but sometimes if i have let the water cool down for too long, the powder doesnt dissolve right so i put the water in the fridge and then when i need a bottle i warm the water as you would warm a bottle then add the powder. not sure about keeping it at room temp or anything sorry but i just know my powder (smawhite) wont dissolve right (it leaves lumps) if the water is too cool.

xxxxx

Hi there,
I use a vacuum flask (you can get 0.5l ones fits lovely in the side compartment of my changing bag) when I'm out, got the tip from the birth to five book I was given by my midwife. I boil the kettle leave it for 10 mins then put it in the flask. With the bottles I fill upto around 5 oz that is then left at room temperature then fill up to the 8oz with the water from the flask when needed.I also put a small plastic bowl to stand the bottle in and a bottle of cold water in my bag for if i need to cool the milk down a bit.
I know with the formula we use (SMA gold) the water does need to be warm for it to dissolve properly and also I think the water has to be warm to kill some of the bacteria from the powder.

Hope this helps :hug:

thats exactly how i make my bottles up , i just use them within 24 hours , i also heat the water ( with no formula) in the microwave before adding the formula :D i found heating 5oz for 20 secs makes it good temp :D

Yep, we do exactly the same. We just give Ryan his milk at room temperature, except his night time one which he has warmed up in the microwave for 10 seconds :)

im gonna say, its your baby.. and you can do whatever you want.. but the guidelines are to make every feed as u need them, or if you dont want to do that make up the bottles with just water and store the water in the fridge for up to 24 hrs, if it were me i would do the 2nd option, and make the water an ounce less than needed and boil a fresh kettle for every feed and add an oz of water to warm it then add powder. u gotta boil the kettle neways to warm store milk..

i used to make so many bottles up with formula in and store it in the fridge.. take one out when needed and warm up.

but now its much quicker (and safer to make up fresh feeds) by boiling the kettle and filling the bottle up to 3oz
you can keep fresh boiled water at room temperature for 24 hours.
so when shes ready for a feed, i boil fresh water and fill the bottles up to 4oz so its just the right temperature, and then add 4 scoops of formula (which i store in little pots that i can just pour in instead of scooping the powder out... and the water is just the right temperature for her to drink, and for the formula powder to mix :)

Kim&Leah said:
i boil fresh water and fill the bottles up to 4oz so its just the right temperature, and then add 4 scoops of formula (which i store in little pots that i can just pour in instead of scooping the powder out... and the water is just the right temperature for her to drink, and for the formula powder to mix :)

I did exactly this today... but for 6oz... you have to be organised for the measures of formula but it's so quick when it comes to making a bottle and LO doesn't have to wait as long. Thanks.

Erm I am really conufsed now. Went to a baby shower today and had an interesting discussion about making up bottles.

I explained what I did to make up bottles and someone said the water wouldn't be hot enough (when adding formula) to kill bacteria.

I looked up the advice and it said...(from Food Standards Agency)

If water is boiled and put into the sterilised feeding bottles can it be stored in the fridge like this until the powder is added?
No, the water must be above 70° C when the powder is added otherwise the bacteria in the powder will not be killed.

Room temp (which is the recommended temp for babies to have bottle) is 21 degress celcius. So.... I have been adding formula to a bottle of water which is room temp. So er...all my efforts and I think I have got it wrong... :think: I know a lot of mums do this, have we all got it wrong????

Can it be that the only way (unless you know your baby feeds on the dot) is to make a feed up from boiled water, and then cool it down for several minutes? I don't think LO would be very happy having to wait longer than 30 secs!!!

Please help... I am so worried I may be putitng LO at risk.

Here is link from FSA.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/ ... idance.pdf

It seems that the way I am doing it is worse than making up formula bottles in advance and storing them in fridge, heating up when needed... as long as they are used within 24 hours....

I make my feeds up in 24 hour batches. I make the feeds with boiled water to sterilise the powder. I know im not supposed to do it this way but my MW and HV have told me Im fine doing it the way I do so I dunno :? The packet says to make a fresh feed up each time and dont use water that was boiled longer than 30 mins ago so I assume it takes 30 mins to drop below 70c :think: :?

Yeah i've read up and all says you need to be using boiled water in order to kill the germs in the powder. I make up days worth of feeds and store in fridge. Only way you can be sure though is to do as and when needed but risk is very small when making up days worth :hug:

Sweetcheeks24 said:
Yeah i've read up and all says you need to be using boiled water in order to kill the germs in the powder. I make up days worth of feeds and store in fridge. Only way you can be sure though is to do as and when needed but risk is very small when making up days worth :hug:

:wave: :wave: sorry for the randomness.. but your ticker says 6 months, 4 weeks, 1 day old
shouldnt it be 7 months and 1 day?? :? :think: :doh: :doh: :lol:

i store at room temp and microwave the water before adding powder to make it warm / hot . so far 6 weeks later his still doing fine .

Kim&Leah said:
:wave: :wave: sorry for the randomness.. but your ticker says 6 months, 4 weeks, 1 day old

:rotfl: it confuses me too, i think it's to do with the fact there is more weeks in this month than 4. in 2 days time he'll be 7 months :lol:

Sweetcheeks24 said:
Kim&Leah said:

:rotfl: it confuses me too, i think it's to do with the fact there is more weeks in this month than 4. in 2 days time he'll be 7 months :lol:

My tickers a day out because of the leap year :shakehead: Maybe it affected yours aswell I think August is a 5 week month too

the fsa confuses me.. coz formula has protien in it.. and anything above 60 degrees will denature protiens.. :think:

OMG! Even more to worry about now... where can I find info about the proteins?

I don't know what to do now and other half is even more bewildered. he said, if you add the powder when water is 70 degrees or more, and put in fridge below 5 degrees (so both these strategies minimise the bacteria forming as it grows in temps between 5 and 65 degrees) and I am like...yeaaaahhhhh.. he then said what about if you re-heat the milk to 21 degrees for baby to drink, does that mean the bacteria is growing as baby drinks it.... I thought hmmmm good point. Or is there a window of time before bacteria grows (even though the recommendations are to cool water quickly to below 5 degrees once you've added the formula.. giving the impression that you haven't got long before the lurgy starts growing... !!!)

:think: :think: :think: My brain hurts!!!!
Think I need to make a decision about how we are going to do it, stick to it and hope LO stays healthy.

hey try this its made life so much easier...
leah gets fed quicker, the formulas hitting the right temperature, and its lovely and warm for leah.

http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 805#853805

i fill the bottles up to 2.5oz of boiled water.... leave to cool at room temperature, and then when i need a bottle, i pour boiling water out the flask to up the feed to 4oz, and then add the powder from a tub already measured out earlier in the day to save time

Hi Kim
That is what I do at the moment but the advice is to add the formula at 70 degrees at least to kill any bacteria.. I know when I add hot water to the cooled water already in bottle it can only be around 20 degrees ish. Hence, Iam now thinking oh dear, the water is not hot enough .... it is perfect temp for LO to drink but not hot enough to kill bacteria.

????????

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back