How do you make up your bottles?

Jaidy

Reaction score
Im just wondering how you other formula mums make up your bottles? What methods do you use?

I boil the kettle, fill up the sterilised, sealed bottles with 5oz of boiled water and leave to cool on the side in a line.

The whenever Zac needs a feed I just add the powder, shake and away we go!! I dont chill the cooled boiled water is this ok? Its only made up formula you have to chill isnt it because cooled boiled water in a sealed bottle remains sterile doesnt it?

Zac has always taken his feeds room temp so I never heat his bottle either.

i boil the kettle let it cool for 30 mins of so so its not boiling then i put the water in the bottles add the fromula shake and put them in a sink of really cold water to cool them quickly then put them in the fridge.

I do this too! If the ambient temperature feels a bt cold I warm in through in a jug of hot water and never keep bottles for 24 hours+

nathanmum said:
i boil the kettle let it cool for 30 mins of so so its not boiling then i put the water in the bottles add the fromula shake and put them in a sink of really cold water to cool them quickly then put them in the fridge.

Same here.

Its just were told in hospital not to make up feeds in advance and store them??

Is it ok the way I have been doing it??

I make up my bottles by pouring 3oz of boiling water into my bottles and then sitting them in the fridge, then whenever Soph needs a bnottle i just add 2 oz of boiling water to the cooled stuff, add the powder, shake and go! That way it's warm with the other 2oz of boiling water going in and is just the right temperature for her!

i think the government brought out some new regulations regarding making bottles, its now considered safer or something to add the formula as you go, rather than making up 6bottles of milk in one go.

i had my 1st child 10 yrs ago & this was never heard of, we made up all 6 in one go, when they had cooled down (naturally not put into cold water) then we put them in the fridge.
i have done this for all 3 of mine & they are all fine!

i do mine all in the evening.... steriliser, boiled water, cool on side 30 mins or so the fridge... then heat and add powder when needed.

xxxxxxx

I think il ask the HV and see she says about the way im doing it, im sure someone posted a few months ago saying this was how they did it?

It seems im the only one that does it like this... :think:

Jaidy doing it that way is absolutly fine, your water is still sterile, my mum did it that way also.

:hug:

i think your doing it the right way/ the recommended way. i make my bottles in advance which they dont advise anymore. dont worry.

Hi Jade

I do mine like you do. The water remains sterile for 12 hours. I asked my HV. I add powder when needed and dont heat it up. She takes it that way.

How many onzes is Zac taking as Olivia is still only taking 4oz 6 times a day but is sleeping through the night from 11 - 7. Hows is Zac

Hannah X

hananhmiller said:
Hi Jade

I do mine like you do. The water remains sterile for 12 hours. I asked my HV. I add powder when needed and dont heat it up. She takes it that way.

How many onzes is Zac taking as Olivia is still only taking 4oz 6 times a day but is sleeping through the night from 11 - 7. Hows is Zac

Hannah X

I saw the HV yesterday and she said to store the cooled boiled water in the fridge, and then add powder when necessary and warm to room temp or allow it to reach room temp. Pleased I asked just to be on safe side!!

Hannah, Zac is taking 5oz every 4 hours, 5 feeds a day and sleeps from about half 11 to 5 or 6 normally, but sometimes its 4.

Sounds like because Olivia is taking 4oz, 6 feeds a day they are roughly taking the same! What milk is she on? How much does she weigh now?

Hi

Shes on SMA staydown in the evening as she has bad reflux and Cow and Gate in the Day. She was weighed last week and she was 8lb 8.5ozs. She is putting on weight slowly. She is 7 weeks today. Seems to be going really fast.

Much better now she is sleeping. Feel normal again. Hate not sleeping. She wakes at about 4 for her dummy and then goes straight back to sleep. Only probelm we have is , she wont sleep upstairs. Only sleeps in her moses basket downstairs. We have monitor on but I dont like her being on her own down here. Trying putting her for naps in her cot today and see how shes goes tonight.

Hannah X

if im not going out, i make a batch of 3 and pop them in the fridge. if im going out i make it the sameway you do jade.

Jaidy said:
I saw the HV yesterday and she said to store the cooled boiled water in the fridge, and then add powder when necessary and warm to room temp or allow it to reach room temp. Pleased I asked just to be on safe side!!

Thats how I make Harrison's bottles up but I warm them in the bottle warmer, he's a fussy lad wont take them any other temperature

Keely
i do mine all in the evening.... steriliser, boiled water, cool on side 30 mins or so the fridge... then heat and add powder when needed.

same here, i have a avent powder container which is really useful

Jaidy your way seemed fine I wouldn't worry about it.

i think its better to let them drink milk at room temp as then you haven't got to worry about heating it up when your out and about!!

I didnt do it like you lot :? When bottle feeding Zack my HV said that making up the bottles in advance was fine :think:

I used to make the bottles and then put them into cold water to cool them down then stick them in the fridge.

Zacks now 3 and hes fine, never had any problems with him.

Princess_Puddles said:
Jaidy said:

Thats how I make Harrison's bottles up but I warm them in the bottle warmer, he's a fussy lad wont take them any other temperature

Yeah, since I saw HV on Monday and she said to chill the cooled boiled water and then add formula and warm it up ive been standing it in a jug of hot water, seems to do the trick!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back