making bottles up - please help

No because as long as the water is above 70 degrees then that is hot enough to kill the bacteria. Anything below this isn't hot enough which is why your advised to use boiled water that has been left for no more than 30 minutes.

It's one of the reasons I stopped using those little powder pots and adding them to cooled boiled water as I was a bit concerned. If that makes sense :)

lisa&alex said:
everyone who makes up 24hr feeds will find some offence to what ive said because your already gonna be in an densive frame of mind as ur going against the advise on the back of the tin.

not particularly, im not offended. I did it by making up 24 hour feeds and keeping them in the fridge but I did it because thats the way I saw mum making my sisters up and with Jess I dont remember it being an issue but before I had Joe it all came out about the 6 months weaning and making each bottle from scratch.

personally I make bottles up as and when I need them as lil miss doesn't have formula everyday and even then its only a partial feed. I'd waste formula if I made them up beforehand and store them in the fridge. But I did it with Tia and she was fine she was bf anf already weaned before she got meningitis...

paradysso said:
just a thought surely thats not the only bacteria that can grow?? those stats are from Enterobacter sakazakii... what about all the others?i just googled to have a look...

Candidiasis
Diarrhea
Gastroenteritis
Haemophilus Influenza
Meningitis in preterm infants
Necrotizing Enterocolitis
Ear Infection
Pneumococcal Disease
Respiratory Infections
Respiratory Syncytial Virus
Salmonellosis
Sepsis in Preterm Infants
Urinary Tract Infections
Anemia and Iron Deficiency
Autoimmune Thyroid Disease
Constipation and Anal Fissures
Undescended Testicle
Esophogeal and Gastrid Lesions
Gastroesophogeal Reflex
Inguinal Hernia
Morbidity and Mortality
Pyloric Stenosis
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
Wheezing
Allergies
Asthma
Eczema..... the list goes on... it was found on wikipedia

what did you google to get that list?? because I'm pretty sure that undecended testicles are not caused by bacteria in baby milk left for 24 hours :shock: thats a physical condition and Autoimmune Thyroid Disease is a congenital defect.

tbh unless you are extremely obsessive about cleanliness the likelihood is that you have exposed your baby to many bacteria..after all how many people on her have sterilised their boob before they put it in the baby's mouth...even made sue that you washed and dried your breast with hot water and soap before every feed?? What about dummies? if that dummy touches anything other than the babys mouth it is no longer sterile and therefore needs to be cleaned and sterilised again. also if its left out in the air for more than a few hours because it will contain milk particles on it from the baby's mouth (ever wondered why the baby's tongue is white :) ).

Its good for a baby to be introduced to bacteria (to a certain level).. It helps the immune system work and learn, reducing allergies, asthma etc.

sadly we can't protect our children from everything and if we become obsessive about these things...we miss out on enjoying our kids...:)

I really don't want to get into a big debate about this but on the back of the tins it says "if you need to make up feeds in advance ask your MW/HV for advice" or something along those lines.

Both my MW and HV said it was fine and told me the best/safest way of doing it. It's all down to individuals and what works best for them.

There are guidelines for everything and those guidelines change repeatedly. I don't see any harm in making up feeds in advance as long as you are strict with the sterilising and storage of them.

Squiglet said:
Its good for a baby to be introduced to bacteria (to a certain level).. It helps the immune system work and learn, reducing allergies, asthma etc.

I totally agree with this, we're being far too clean with our kids.

But back onto the main issue, Kimbo, she's your baby, you do what you feel is right, I tried just about every single method mentioned on here until I found one that felt right for both Mhairi and me!

xxx

Squiglet said:
tbh unless you are extremely obsessive about cleanliness the likelihood is that you have exposed your baby to many bacteria..after all how many people on her have sterilised their boob before they put it in the baby's mouth...even made sue that you washed and dried your breast with hot water and soap before every feed?? What about dummies? if that dummy touches anything other than the babys mouth it is no longer sterile and therefore needs to be cleaned and sterilised again. also if its left out in the air for more than a few hours because it will contain milk particles on it from the baby's mouth (ever wondered why the baby's tongue is white :) ).

sadly we can't protect our children from everything and if we become obsessive about these things...we miss out on enjoying our kids...:)

i dont agree with introducing babies to bacteria at this age.. they have enough for their bodies to get used to being in the world without the others.. if eddies dummy touches anything other than his mouth i sterilise it.. and im not overly clean..if he wants to eat worms,sand snail when hes 1 then he can lol
and testicles not dropping happens all the time.. edwards didnt come down till he was 4 weeks old.

end of the day these are our own babies noone is bringing them up but ourselves the advise has been given via formula tins hvs drs etc.. its up to us what we do with it

lol.. he dont wanna with ur hoebag nips neways lol...alex is to scared.. i squirted myself in teh face yesterday.. it was the topic of convo all day./. amused him ever so slightly

lisa&alex said:
i squirted myself in teh face yesterday.. it was the topic of convo all day./. amused him ever so slightly

:rotfl:

lisa&alex said:
lol.. he dont wanna with ur hoebag nips neways lol...alex is to scared.. i squirted myself in teh face yesterday.. it was the topic of convo all day./. amused him ever so slightly

psssf... I chase DH round the house squirting him with my boobs when he don't do the chores when I ask... sadly it actually turns him on... :think: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

paradysso said:
i boil the kettle, let it cool for 1/2 hour, then pour into sterilised bottles

for the formula i put it in the tomme tippe formula pots and leave in top of bottle and put lid on

then mix water and powder when needed and feed. i kept the water at room temp and alana was happy with this. so i didnt need to heat it or any thing.

this is what they look like, was really handy when out and about too. just grab the bottles i needed and never worried about heating or cooling

TT.jpg

I started making them up and storing a full days in the fridge, then changed to this method.

Now I am using ready made as Adam seems to prefer it. xx

NIE said:
paradysso said:
i boil the kettle, let it cool for 1/2 hour, then pour into sterilised bottles

for the formula i put it in the tomme tippe formula pots and leave in top of bottle and put lid on

then mix water and powder when needed and feed. i kept the water at room temp and alana was happy with this. so i didnt need to heat it or any thing.

this is what they look like, was really handy when out and about too. just grab the bottles i needed and never worried about heating or cooling

TT.jpg

I started making them up and storing a full days in the fridge, then changed to this method.

Now I am using ready made as Adam seems to prefer it. xx

I do exactly this - it works a treat. at night when OH does night feeds he takes kettle upstairs with him and adds the hot water to cooled water in bottle so it's right temp. and adds in (ready measured and stored in sterilised container) powdered formula.
Works for us!! x

I always made my bottles up like you Kim. I didn't make fresh, I would make enough to last the 24hrs and keep them in the fridge until needed.

My kids are 11yrs and 7yrs now and it never did them any harm lol.

ooooooo an old thread lol
well ive been doing them fresh now fir about 8 weeks.. find it quicker too cos leah doesnt have to wait for her bottle and shout :)

I boil the kettle, leave to cool for 30 mins, then pour into bottles and add powder, leave to cool for a while longer then stick in the fridge, always make up a days worth - don't care what anyone else says :rotfl: done my two no harm :moon:

Ash only has 1 bottle a day cause he's still breastfed morning and evening.

I boil the kettle and sterilise the bottle. Then add the boled water to the bottle anything from straight away to an hour after it has boiled. If I'm not using the bottle straight away it goes in the fridge. If I am using it straight away then I add the powder and shake.

For bottles from the fridge. I take the bottle out the fridge and pop it in the microwave for 20 secs. Then add the powder and shake. Hey presto! The bottle is ready! I don't actually think it takes any longer doing it that way than it would keeping the ready made up bottles in the fridge. You've still got to heat them up, so the only difference is abotu 30 secs to add the powder.

I'm an immunologist and as part of my work everyday I have to make sure things are sterile. The utensils I use in the lab and the water I use in my experiments, etc, etc. The cells that we grow are stored in an incubator at 37 degrees. On the odd occasion that one of the cultures is infected with bacteria it takes literally hours for them to multiply so much that the liquid goes cloudy.

So I agree that if left at room temp or above bacteria could multiply very quickly in your LO's bottles if they're already made up. Obviously, with just water there is nothing for the bacteria to feed on, so even if some are present, it is unlikely that the water will become infected.

In the fridge, even made up, there is not much chance of the bacteria multiplying enough to harm your baby. But that's only up to a certain amount of time. I should think that 24hrs should be ok.

And as to the issue of babies being exposed to a certian amount of bacteria being good, I actually agree with that one. But NOT the bacteria such as salmonella that cause food poisoning. I'm not super clean with the house and I certainly don't sterilise everything Ash puts in his mouth everytime it touches something else. Hell! I'd be sterilising every 10 secs!

He drinks his bath water and licks the carpet for goodness sake! Our immune systems need their practice!

K.xx

just use a vacum flask as the boiled water in the flask stays over 70c for upto 8 hours . Excellent for night feeds and then bottles are made fresh every time !! :D

i know what you mean it took me a while to find a way of making bottles fresh to work for me. According to the guidlines the boiled water has to be over 70c to kill any bacteria in the powder as the powder is not sterile i believe thats why they advise on the tin to boil kettle and cool for no longer than 30 minutes. If you are a little confused and want to follow the guidlines then go on to the uk food standards agency website which will give you all the info. I have started using a vacum flask for each feed as boiled water stays hot for upto 8 hrs so i add water to bottle when need to feed then add powder and cool under a tap if needed this way i am making fresh every time and water is over 70 c. Guidlines are there just to guide you and i hope you find a way that works for you . xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back