Long name instead of short

Countrybumpkin

Reaction score
What do you all think about giving the baby the full name, or sticking to the shorter name you like.

Both OH and i love Ellie, and to be honest not as keen on all the names that are longer names, which are short for Ellie. Hubby still thinks we should give her the full name, and then shorten it to Ellie.

Would you go for the long name, so they have a choose when they are old and always call them by the short name, or to stick to just the short name??

I hope you managed to follow that. :roll::lol: not sure it i did :whistle:

In the case of Ellie I think it sounds great as a stand alone name. We intend to call baby Sebastian but will end up shortening it to Seb, I wouldn't name him Seb though. Usually I prefer the longer version of names (Alexander not Alex, Matthew not Matt etc) but I like Ellie on it's own x what full versions are you looking at? If you don't like any then I would just go with Ellie x

I like Ellie as it is! We've 90% agreed on charley and my mum said oh I don't like Charles and I was like but he's not called Charles, he'll be registered as charley!!

I must say I'm quite traditional when it comes to this - I would always go for the long name and then just shorten it. Maybe it comes from being called Samantha - I can be formal and introduce myself as Samantha at job interviews and stuff and Sam with friends or in relaxed situations - does that sound a bit odd??!

I like Ellie on it's own, might just be because I'm not a fan of Ellen/Eleanor etc. personally.
but if we have a boy we're calling him Alexander, I don't think I would just name him Alex even though that's what we'll call him. X

if you like ellie go for ellie i really like it on it's own x

It really does depend on the name i think, my name is Alexis, but if someone shouted alexis, id be like who?? lol i get called alex or lexi most of the time x

Im with you Orangfluff....I would go for the long version DD is called Kathryn but she gets Kate usually but Kathry for official stuff....but Ellie is still lovely on its own xx

Im with alexis, if someone called me by my full name i'd be like "who?" :rofl:

My daughter is called Alex, its not short for anything, thats her name. (I wanted alexis though ironically :rofl:) Drives me mad when they go "oh short for alexandra?"

Last edited:
I like Ellie on it's own but also like it short for Elenie xx

Ellie as it is is just perfect

I am a Jennifer , and my sister still calls me Jennifer! My brother calls me Jen, and most people opt for Jenni.

I have got a Rhys , Toby and a Briony, none can really be shortened, like names to be as they are intended.

Have to say, it's a pain as all official stuff is down as Jennifer, gets stuck like that straight from birth cert and then school onwards, even in hosp, I am a Jennifer! When I am just Jen to me

I love Ellie! I think it does depend on the name though, I'm a Jennifer too and I prefer being called by my full name, although family call me Jen xx

I think it's entirely upto personnel preference...I know some1 who's daughter is called Matilda but known as tilly but then I my cousins son is called joey. I think ellie is fine as a stand alone name but upto u xxx

I think it has to be a personal thing my name is stephanie but I am always steph or stephie to people I know, me and my brothers all have long names that are shortened where as my DH's family never shorten his name (prob dont like that I do either)

My sons name is John-Rhys but we call him Rhys and he is Rhys at school too but when he's older he can use his full name for things like interviews etc as mentioned above

I feel that the name that the parents will call the child every day, should be the name on the birth certificate.

If you and your hubby plan on referring to the child as Ellie, then i don't understand why you would put a name on the certificate that will never be used in relation to your child.

If your child chooses to use the longer version for herself - then it seems bizaar that then everyone but the parents would be using the name on the birth certificate.

I can't get my head around it :oooo:

I don't think someone has more chance of being employed because they chose to use a full version of their name, i certainly wouldn't select employees based on their name.

I feel that the name that the parents will call the child every day, should be the name on the birth certificate.

If you and your hubby plan on referring to the child as Ellie, then i don't understand why you would put a name on the certificate that will never be used in relation to your child.

If your child chooses to use the longer version for herself - then it seems bizaar that then everyone but the parents would be using the name on the birth certificate.

I can't get my head around it :oooo:

I don't think someone has more chance of being employed because they chose to use a full version of their name, i certainly wouldn't select employees based on their name.

I just thought I'd reply to this to say it is a big tradition in Wales to actually call people by their middle name, it's culture in long lines of welsh families and your post has made me feel like I'm stupid or wrong in some way.

Oh and Rhys is actually 4th generation to be called John-something and be called the second name. I am very proud to have upheld this tradition

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back