Is this selfish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlene09

Reaction score
Is it selfish that I dont want to quit smoking this pregnancy. I quit with my first pregnancy but im just not emotionally ready for it yet

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk

I'm a smoker and I am determined to stop before I get pregnant as I don't want to risk harming my baby. My OH and I decided to stop at new year but failed miserably so will be trying again as from next Monday :) I think you have to be really ready to give up or it won't work. Maybe you could try cutting down if you're not ready to give up completely xx

Up to you really but it does increase your risk of MC, stillbirth, SIDS and having a child with Asthma (there have been a few large clinical trials on this recently), so I'd probably have to say yes it is kinda selfish. I don't want to be judgemental - but you did ask!

I'm determined to quit, I just haven't yet because I have been under a lot of stress...the father of the baby is playing the 31 going on 9 game and I haven't heard from him(2 weeks on Saturday). But I plan to stop after this pack I'm on runs out. Quit when you're ready, and like Katkin said, maybe try cutting back first so it's not as stressful a transition. Good luck! Xxx

Sorry but I have to say yes! I have been trying to stop smoking for a while and finally stubbed out my last cigarette on 3 rd January. Just gone cold turkey this time. What has kept me going is the thought of poisoning a baby. And now I am pregnant there is no chance of me having one. I honestly couldn't even imagine doing that to my baby.

But I have friends who smoked all through their pregnancies and babies have been fine. So obviously up to you and how you feel

I think being pregnant should give you the will power to do it, good luck! x

I did try the other week, I got the niquitin inhalator but I had one puff and heaved! :( I've been going through alot lately though x

It is selfish, if a person doesn't like you smoking, they can leave the room - but a baby can't do that. Your priority now is what your baby needs, not what you want. It's also your responsibility to give your baby the best start in life and that starts with looking after yourself - eating healthily, getting exercise, taking folic acid and most importantly stopping smoking and drinking. I'm sorry if you think I'm being harsh, but you asked x

Good luck quitting though - it comes down to will power and the want to quit. If you don't want to quit, it won't matter what anyone writes here. I hope you make the best decision for you.

It s up 2 u but you are at more risk or mc and low birth weight ! i stopped the day i got my bfp

Hey Hun I completely understand how you feel, when I was pg the first time everyone was moaning at me to quit and I just couldn't do it. I ended up having a mc then another one shortly after. So this time when I found out I was pregnant I was determined to quit. It is really hard as I too was completely stressed. I tried the inhaler for a few weeks and managed to cut down but then had a bad day and was smoking normally again. Every time I smoked I felt really guilty knowing that I was harming my baby. I then tried the patches and they worked for me. Personally I can say I was being selfish but everytime you want to smoke why not look at your scan picture and think this is why you should quit. I've not smoked for 3 weeks now. It's not long but I know I won't do it. I feel soo proud of myself lol good luck xx

Its a hard habit to kick, but being pregnant gave me the willlpower to do it,I stopped a couple of days after my bfp as i weaned myself off them by cutting down, in the end it made me feel sooo ill aswell. Once of the main reasons i did a test.
I dont think its a good look if your out and about while pregnant haveing a smoke. I work in a hospital and see pregnant ladies some in early stages of labour having a cigarette outside and i just think how can u do it. Alot of young girls think it willl make them have a small baby which will make labour easier, yes it probably does but just think what your poisoning the baby with. This is coming from someone who is now so paranoid about what i take ie. only took paracetamol for the first time since being pregnant tonight and i scoured the internet to see if olbas oil and vicks vapour rub is safe.
its totoally up to you though just think it through x

I would try anything to stop as the thought of poisoning my unborn baby would break my heart. My friend's hubby quit reading Alan Carr (sp*) book. He smoked since he was 15 and is now preaching to the masses about it lol. Good luck hun! Xx

Yes. Sorry don't want to be blunt but your baby should be motivation enough to stop. Good luck with quitting though x

Hi Charlene - huge congratulations to you on your news - Well done you

I'm afraid i'm with the "yes's" on your question you asked, I have never smoked , but If the doctors said I was potentionally harming my baby with chocolate bars, I would have quite them before pregnancy or the day I found out, it's not worth the potential risks, even if you might be one of the lucky ones - I mean this in the best way and not to offend you

The goverment are giving out stopping packs at the moment - can't hurt getting one, the planning, schedule of giving up might help

http://smokefree.nhs.uk/?&gclid=CN-bmMmb7K0CFVRItAod-T-x3g

How long did it take you with AJ? wasn't it later on?

Good luck - you can do it, I know it

Last edited:
In a word - yes.

Ur baby doesn't deserve to breathe in the toxic chemicals in cigarettes just because ur going through some stuff. U were TTC weren't u? So if u weren't emotionally ready for it, u should have waited til u were.

I have very strong views on smoking in general, never mind smoking during pregnancy so I'll just leave it at that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Is it selfish that I dont want to quit smoking this pregnancy. I quit with my first pregnancy but im just not emotionally ready for it yet

That's a tough one hun - I stopped a few days after I found out I was pregnant and although I have since gone on to have 3 m/c's I have never been tempted to start up again....

Having had 3 m/c's I would not do anything that puts my bub at risk if I am lucky enough to get pregnant again. I'd not wish the grief of a m/c on anyone!

My friend smoked with her first bub and I used to cringe when she lit up (they didn't smoke in the house and she only had a few per day but it was still hard to watch). She did the opposite to you and stopped with her second - she is now almost a year as a non smoker!

I guess you don't want to do anything that is going to stress you out hun? But as others say the health of your baby should be the most important thing here.

I hope that at some point during your pregnancy you just naturally "go off" fags :shock: if you can't find the incentive to stop yourself!

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Hey Hun!

If you can stop do so and find a hobby to deal with the rough time you have been having.

When you quit you will feel so much better and you will have a healthy pregnancy which is soooooo important.

Good luck, try a plastic cigarette that pretends to puff some smoke :)

I have had 2 previous MC's aswell so I know what it feels like to go through these, Im just so scared something is wrong this pregnancy and yes i know me smoking isn't going to change the way i feel about it, but its the only way i can deal with it. I know that will probably sound silly to some people and you'se won't be able to get your heads round it
I don't know how to explain it anyway

Hun, do you smoke around your little boy? It's the same thing as you smoking when pregnant, just imagine your little baby inhaling your cigarette smoke. I know its harsh, but that is what your doing. I appreciate that its hard, but then you need to speak to your gp and get help x x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back