Is this selfish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you dont stop when you are pregnant, you are going to smoke around it when its born. I imagine you would start only having a fag outside, or in another room, but i bet slowly it creeps in that you will be smoking in same room as bubs.

when I stopped smoking my OH actually felt withdrawals, and he doesnt smoke! it was purely my passive smoking

im with the yes category. i quit smoking the second i found out i was pregnant. I did restart after j was born (only ever outside with a smoking jacket and wash afterwards - not that makes it perfect at all) and i fully understand how smoking helps you fight through difficult times (thats why we re-started - long story) etc but you cant make a baby smoke. this little person breathes what you breath, eats what you eat and feels how you feel. You protect it from the outside world until he/she is strong enough to just about survive in the big wide scary world and you're choosing to force him/her to smoke with you. Having a child isnt about you its about the child and so i think even if just whilst pregnant you need to stop and not (if you do - not saying either way) smoke in front of lo's

Dobt get me wrong i am by no means perfect but i couldnt smoke whilst pregnant ever Like i say im not perfect at all...and im slowly cutting down to 4 a day now....(max) but personally thin you should quit.

Congratulations on being a mummy-to-be again, enjoy it and hope you have a wonderfully happy 9 months :D !! and if you decide to quite then all the best!! (please dont be offended by the comment either its not a personal jibe just my opinion)

XXXXXXXXXXX

I quit smoking the day after i found out i was pregnant and have not touched them since, so yes i would have to say it's selfish also. I didn't want to quit but there is no way i'm going to knowingly harm my own child.

hun i understand, try to cut down at least then stop it really is for the best! remember EVERYTHING you take in passes over the placenta....thnk about your baby hun, i know if you have had losses you may think '' well i stopped last time and mc anyway etc'' but do yourself and bean a favour hun xxx

when i got my bfp i cut down. then saw my baby at 12 week scan and cut down to 1 aday (half in morning and half in evening) then about 13 weeks stopped. i still craved them for about 3/4 weeks but now i dont, my hubby still smokes and the smell knocks me sick.

I have to agree with the others. I'm finding it hard, but have cut down drastically since finding out. I have maybe 1 or 2 a day on the days that I do smoke. Some days I dont need or want to, the only times I have had them is when my grandma died and at her funeral. I've been ill as well, so thats put me right off, and I wont be starting again once i feel better. It increases the risks of many things- small birth weight, miscarriage, lung and breathing problems, still birth, cot death... If you are a smoker, the chances are that your child will one day be one too. It also affects your BP every time you have one, which may cause distress to LO.

I have had 2 previous MC's aswell so I know what it feels like to go through these, Im just so scared something is wrong this pregnancy and yes i know me smoking isn't going to change the way i feel about it, but its the only way i can deal with it. I know that will probably sound silly to some people and you'se won't be able to get your heads round it
I don't know how to explain it anyway

You sound like you're in a catch 22. You worry things will go wrong with your pregnancy, so smoke as to destress. Yet what you're doing to destress is increasing the risk of something going wrong with your pregnancy. To me, it's a no brainer - baby's health is paramount. At least try and get some help. God forbid, if something went wrong you'd always wonder "what if I had quit..." xx

If your worried something will go wrong, do everything you can to make it a healthy pregnancy.

I agree with all the other ladies, smoking is so harmful to baby and its a risk not worth taking. I understand your fears but smoking isnt going to help. My nephew could have died due to his mum smoking during pregnancy, she had to have him 6 weeks early because he wasn't growing, when he was delivered he was small even for 34 weeks (because of her smoking). If she wasnt monitored he wouldnt be here. A cigarette is not worth risking the life of a precious baby. good luck and hope you manage to quit x

Last edited:
Your G.P or midwife should be able to refer you to a smoking cessation group, where you can get lots of help, advice and support. I dont want to sound judgemental because I understand how difficult some people find it to give up smoking, but I really think you need to work out where your priorities lie, with a packet of cigarettes or with the new life growing inside you. You say you gave up with your first child, so that prooves you are a strong enough person to do it. Just think by quitting you can put away the money you are saving on cigarettes and treat yourself or your little one to something nice. I think you know the answer to your own question and really hope you make the right decision. Good luck.

Buy and read Allen Carr's "Easy Way To Stop Smoking"

I read it when I found out I was pregnant and despite losing that baby plus 2 more I have never, ever even contemplated going back to the fags...

I think its incredibly selfish! I'm really sorry to be so blunt hun but you did ask. I don't know if you ever saw that programme on bbc3 I think it was 'misbehaving mums to be'... Anyway, they got pregnant ladies who smoked to blow into a breathalyser thing and it showed the level of smoke/nicotine etc in the lady and also the level that it meant would be in the babys blood! It broke my heart to think of all those horrible chemicals getting into the baby who hasn't chosen to smoke :(

Its probably really easy for me to sit here and judge hun because I've never smoked so I don't know what its like to be addicted. But people can and do give up even when they are totally dependent on smoking, and I do think you owe it to your baby and yourself to at least try. I'm sure your doctor will be able to give you lots of help and support, with ways to de-stress as well as beating the physical addiction.

My hubby smokes... he is trying to cut down now we are expecting a bubs and only smokes outside never in the house, but I still hate it when I can smell smoke on him after he has had one, cos it makes me feel like I am breathing it in even just from smelling it on his clothes, and therefore the baby is!

Hi hun,

I was a 20 a day smoker and have really struggled to give up. Firstly do speak to your mw or doc cos there are special groups etc you can go to that are really helpful. My mw said to me if you can cut down first it really helps and that studies have shown that to go totally cold turkey can cause other risks due to the stress of yourself and your body giving up a drug as such. I have struggled big time and had the guilt trips etc from well meaning people, but I recommend cutting down one a day till you feel in a good space to stop completely. I have stopped now and found it the best way to do it. xx

^^ what she said :) smoking isnt good but neither is shocking your body sweets x

Hun trust me if i have done it you can x i am currently on day 3 of quitting and i am using patches and an inhailer and its 10x easier than when i first tried cold turkey x

You need support from a stop smoking nurse and some nicotine replacement items and i know u can do it! x

I am(was) a 20 a day smoker and i thought i honestly wouldnt be able to do it but i have x

dont get me wrong i am really suffering but i know its for the best and i no longer have that guilty feeling x

goodluck hun if u wana talk message me :) xx

I have read the "shock" thing as well but I personally think it is rubbish.

After 72 hours there is nothing physcially keeping you addicted it is purely a mental battle.

I am not saying it is easy (for me it was BUT I am well aware I am in the minority) but it is a lot more detrimental to your babies health to carry on smoking - even if you do really cut down!

And to not even bother trying is a bit rubbish if you ask me??

Last edited:
I actually asked a smoking cessation advisor about the whole shock thing and she said its nothing but a myth x

Stopping smoking instantly won't have any adverse affects on you health, unlike addictions to alcohol etc. The only thing that will be affected is your emotional health, your body will cope fine. People go into hospital smokers, and cant smoke while ill, but dont end up worse because they have to go cold turkey

So quitting cold turkey like I was planning on doing today isn't really a great idea? My smoking varies depending on the stress, convenience or social situation...sometimes I would smoke only 3 and sometimes a half pack or more a day.

Ah...nevermind someone answered as I was typing my post. I just heard it from so many people now that I was starting to wonder.

And Good luck with your quitting smoking hon XxX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back