Emotionally scarred by having a baby in SCBU?

My LO is still in scbu. Its been 18 days now. I had pre eclampsia and he was born at 34+4 and weighed 3lbs 14oz. If im bring completely honest it really feels like I haven't bonded with my son at all. I didn't hold him straight away. He was 25 hrs old before I even see him, let alone hold him. And when I did hold him I was like is this my son? Because I didn't see him after delivery as was whisked straight away to nicu before being transferred after 24 hrs to scbu. But it was and still is a very unreal time for us! And I have that horrible feeling of I was pregnant one minute and then mummy the next with no effort in between? Doesn't feel right!. X

Are you still in hospital with him Hun?

I felt like this (my LO was in 4 weeks) and I requested skin to skin with him. They put up screens in the ward and I stripped off and had skin to skin at least once a day and it really helped x

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

My LO is still in scbu. Its been 18 days now. I had pre eclampsia and he was born at 34+4 and weighed 3lbs 14oz. If im bring completely honest it really feels like I haven't bonded with my son at all. I didn't hold him straight away. He was 25 hrs old before I even see him, let alone hold him. And when I did hold him I was like is this my son? Because I didn't see him after delivery as was whisked straight away to nicu before being transferred after 24 hrs to scbu. But it was and still is a very unreal time for us! And I have that horrible feeling of I was pregnant one minute and then mummy the next with no effort in between? Doesn't feel right!. X

I felt the same, although I almost didn't feel like a mummy at all, because I hadn't seen my baby or held her; I'd just gone from being pregnant to not being pregnant. I don't remember feeling anything about "no effort" though - I don't know about you, but I could stop shaking with fear and being rushed into theatre was horrendous. I've never been so afraid in my whole life and mostly not with fear for myself. It was emotionally and physically draining.

I agree with tweetyfoo, skin to skin is so important and as frequently as you/baby can manage. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back