When should we stop sleeping on our bellys/backs?

Melly+2

Reaction score
As above really, im already missing doing these because im too frightened that i will hurt bean even though i know its tucked away safly atm, although in the next 2 weeks our uteruses will come above the pubic bone, can anyone shed some light?? :think:

i think you can lay on your belly till you start to feel uncomfortable.
i don't lay on my back anyway but i think its when you get bigger probley from last trimester as you will get really bad backache.
maybe someone else might know more.

Thanks hun, its wierd how much i have forgotten since last time :?

Not really sure when you are supposed to but i really do try and not sleep on either because im scared too lol

although, sometimes i do have to turn over onto my back for a while, especially when i have bad backache - i just try not to sleep on my back!

as for your tummy, i THINK you can sleep on it for as long as its comfortable - i cant sleep on it no more now because of my bump :( and i used to love sleeping on my tummy

my midwife told me you must not sleep on your back as it can cut off blood supply to the baby so if you need to lie on back at all try not to for long as far as i know you can lie on tummy till no longer comfy mine is just starting to hurt now if i lie on it xxxxxxx

You're not supposed to lay on your back after 12 weeks.
On your tummy - I'm not sure. I know that for this pregnancy and when preg with my DD I seem to wake up laying on my tummy regardless of how I fall to sleep. Strange

It really only has an effect once you have a bump and are further along. Some manage on their backs till past 20 weeks, others not.

And what has been said, once bump is bigger its not good to sleep on your back as it can slow down the artery supply to baby and your legs.

Optimal position for sleeping when PG is on your left hand side as this aids the blood flow round your body and to the placenta. But you can roate side to side. Its not one a *must stay on left side all night* thing, but the more you can the better.

thanks Sherlock for that advice, very helpful!! :D

on my left hand side is the only way I never sleep, hmmph.

Brilliant that helps so much, i tend to sleep both sides but generally end up on my left, thanks everyone:)

thanks for that sherlock i knew there was something to do with the blood supply but wasnt 100% sure exactly what xxxx

I posted a similar thread in 2nd tri. I still wake up sleeping on my back but ive read that if there is any distress you will usually know about it.

Try not to worry too much,

Claire x

nori i was just going to post that, how can you stop yourself from going into a position when your sleeping unless you put a pillow at your back so you cant roll onto it, as for sleeping on my left side i just cant i dont know if its because dh is on that side snoring :roll:
i cant seem to go on my tummy now either i feel like im lying on top of a brick

i'm 9w 2 days and i've never heard of not sleeping on your back.

that's the only way i can sleep.

so thanks girls. someone said to stop from 12 weeks, so will make an effort to do this...

I got really worried about this when I was PG with Elliott as I had bad hip pain lying on my sides and my midwife said it was ok to lie on my back if I wasn't lying flat so I used a V pillow with a couple of small pillows underneath. Not sure if she was right but that's what she said...?

+++

Loobie9 said:
i'm 9w 2 days and i've never heard of not sleeping on your back.

that's the only way i can sleep.

so thanks girls. someone said to stop from 12 weeks, so will make an effort to do this...

I'd not worry from 12 weeks, only when your bump is bigger and the weight of baby will squish things. Usually past 18-20 weeks or so, maybe longer depending on bump.

Sometimes even now i can still lie on my back! When its cutting off blood supplies trust me you know about it! i feel very faint and just "not right" but if shes in another positon then i dont have a problem.

I found i could no longer lie on my tummy from about 24 weeks due to discomfort.

I have just recently started waking with total dead legs when I find I have rolled onto my back!
Though I have a circulatory problem anyways! (I got dead legs occasionally before I was pregnant :roll: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back