Should we split up? Long post!

Hi everyone,

I really need some help! Some of you may have seen my posts in 'First Trimester', for those who haven't, I'll write it down here. I really need somewhere to "get my head together" on this as it's really stressing me out and I'd appreciate any thoughts and/or advice.

I'm 34. I have two children by my first marriage. They're almost 8 and 10. I left my husband 4 years ago and have been with my current partner for 3 years. He's a year older than me, has never really had a long-term relationship, never lived with anyone before and has no children of his own (yet!). I am almost 6 weeks' pregnant by him.

My partner has an awful, quick temper. Although he's never been physically violent, he shouts and swears at me a lot and has been nasty, calling me names, e.g. "cow", "bitch", "leach" etc. For a while, I put his moods and temper tantrums down to the fact that he is a heavy dope smoker. He also goes out most weekends and is always the last of his friends to go home. When he does, he's very drunk and argumentative.

He works, but for himself. Mostly, he hasn't been giving me cash (I bought this house and pay all the bills from tax credits and maintenance), rather, he buys a lot of shopping. Don't get me wrong, he has paid for things like getting my car fixed. I've told him I need a regular amount of money every week from him and that I will buy the shopping.

Anyway, he makes the kids' packed lunches a lot of the time and will make dinner quite often, but apart from that, he does nothing in the house or garden. I would rather that he e.g. fixed the toilet seat that's been broken for 6 months - I've laready fixed it 3 times, or cut the grass or helped me to decorate etc. :D The thing is, even though he won't do anything around the house, he won't let me get anyone else in to do these jobs either. Last year, our garden got like a jungle. I was sick of looking at it, so I hired a petrol strimmer and my cousin's partner very kindly offered to cut the grass with it. My partner went ballistic, shouting and swearing at me in front of my cousin's partner and he kept this up for about 2 days - just because another guy cut the grass (he told me not to use the petrol strimmer myself).

Lately, my uncle's friend was going to put new flooring in my children's bedrooms (for a "token" £20), but my partner refused to "allow" this, saying he would re-floor the rooms. Of course, he hasn't even made a start, even though the kids have been away for the weekend with their dad...

This is one thing that really annoys me - he will do nothing around the house (e.g. he took the trim off the kitchen units and it took him two and a half years to put it back on), but he won't let me get anyone else in to do these jobs! My brother got so sick of seeing my garden fence needing repaired for over 2 years, that he started to repair it, but my partner wasn't happy about that either. He feels that anyone else doing things, "shows him up".

He is terrible with road rage too. I've been in the car with him when he's raced down the hard-shoulder on the motorway to "overtake" someone he thinks "cut him up" (even though the other, faster lanes were empty). He rolls down his window and shouting things like, "Fucking move, you stupid bitch!" to e.g. women who don't turn right fast enough. Last week, he was driving and a bus came out of a bus stop. He was behind the bus, hadn't started to overtake it and had plenty of time to slow down. Rather than slowing down though, he kep accelerating, overtook the bus and stopped dead in front of it, so the bus couldn't get past, then he went out and had a go at the bus driver, whilst I sat, cringing in the car. He does such things a lot. I feel that he puts himself in these situations, gets uptight (whereas I'd perhaps just mutter under my breath) and causes a scene in public. Many people have commented that it's a wonder that he hasn't been physically assaulted due to these outbursts.

Another time when he was drunk (thankfully the kids were with their dad for the weekend), he set fire to our bedroom by accident, but came back downstairs to join me and a couple of our friends who had came in after our night out, and he didn't say anything. I only knew when the smoke alarm went off and the whole of the upstairs was covered in smoke. He had taken the burning items and thrown them onto the roof from the velux window and so there was a smouldering fire in our bedroom and one on the roof by the time I realised that he had dropped a joint onto some clothes he had left on the floor.

Just before I found out I was pregnant, a couple of weeks ago, he came home drunk. It was a school night. He had already 'phoned me many times, continually waking me up, before he got home. When he got home, he woke me and the kids up after 4am. I was a bit grumpy because I was tired and asked him to keep quiet. That started him off. He started shouting that I was "evil" and "abusive" to him. He kept on and on at me. Coming into the bedroom and continuing his tirade. I flipped and started throwing his clothes out of the wardrobe and told him that if I was so "evil" to him, he could get out in the morning. I then went dowsnstairs to calm down. He came down a few minutes later, still very drunk, and went out in his car. By this time, the kids ran downstairs and were screaming at me to call the police, before he killed himself or someone else. I called his dad who went out looking for him, but he was really angry about that too when he got back. He likes his family and friends to think that he's really sweet.

Since that incident the other week, my children have been really clingy with me. They are worried about what my partner will do when he's drunk. He has a quick temper most of the time anyway, even when he's not drunk. The kids have been talking to me, the last couple of nights, when I was out with them without my partner. My little boy said, "Mum, you're not, evil, he's evil. He shouts at you all the time". Even though he was sick last night and had been off school during the day, my little boy wanted to go round and stay at my mum's whilst I visited my gran after her operation, rather than be in the house with my partner.

Also last night, my little girl was saying, "Mum, does xxxxx love you? He doesn't act like he loves you, because he just shouts at you all the time. He doesn't treat you very nicely". Of course, being kids, they also tell my mum everything. She was already worried about my partner, but she just thought he was a terrible nag. My mum said to me last night, "I think you've made a terrible mistake" (getting pregnant to him). I feel awful that my two little kids are being affected by him and that's the final straw for me. I was beginning to believe my partner (and sometimes still wonder) that it's my fault that he acts the way he does. I thought I could put up with him in the hope that we could sort things out, but I hate him for worrying my children like this.

I can't go anywhere with my partner. Nights out are ruined because he never wants to come home and gets annoyed with me when I've had enough and want to get to bed. I rarely go out with him now, which is another thing he gets annoyed about. He thinks I should be out with him when he goes out with his friends and their partners, but I'm on edge all night, wondering what's going to start him off next. He spends most of the day after nights out (often till 5pm) in bed. In fact, he's in bed most of the day at weekends. Days out are ruined because he criticises my driving constantly, so I'm on edge if I drive. If he drives, he frighten me with his road rage, then he's in a mood with me all day for "acting like a timid wee mouse", or arguing about how he was justified in doing what he did, e.g. shouting and swearing at other drivers or doing something dangerous like overtaking on the hard-shoulder.

Yesterday, he was in a foul mood when he got home because he had been stopped by police for using his mobile whilst driving. He got 3 points and a £60 fine. He showed me his 'phone and said that it was me who had 'phoned him (I have told him many times not to answer his 'phone when driving). I noticed on the call list that he had made/taken 3 calls (including mine) in less than 10 minutes when the police were watching him, so I pointed this out. He began screaming at me that it was my fault for 'phoning him and what did it matter about the other calls? I tried to walk away, to let him calm down, but he followed me upstairs (to where to children were), continuing to shout at me for "winding him up".

He always blames me for his outbursts. I am always "winding him up". His driving whilst drunk the other week was my fault too (even though he has done this at least three times and been prosecuted for it before I met him). He said, "Why is it that I can go out for a night out and be having a great time, yet when I come home to you, I end up doin' my nut? It must be you that winds me up because I'm fine till I get in here to you".

We did split up in October last year, after I felt so depressed and desperate that I contacted the Samaritans. He went to live with his parents, promised he'd give up smoking dope, got anti-depressants and said he'd been referred for anger management sessions. I wanted to make a go of things and he seemed to be trying, so I let him come back. Almost as soon as he'd moved back in though, he was smoking dope again, had ditched the anti-depressants and has never mentioned the anger management sessions again. Things haven't improved at all....

He can be thoughtful. He'll buy things for the kids and play with them sometimes (hardly ever), but we rarely do anything as a family. The kids mostly stay out of his way. So do I. Lately, I've been trying to avoid being in the same room as him and I dread him coming in from work. When he's not working, he's in bed a lot. I can't talk to him about anything.

I tried to talk to him the other night, but he says I'm "putting him under pressure". Last night, I told him that I'd had enough. He seemed to suggest that I'd only got back together with him to get pregnant! And he has said a few times that we shouldn't be having a child together. I've told him that it's too late for that, and that I'm keeping the baby.

I am so worried though, about coping on my own with 3 children! I don't even have a job. I was going to start my own business, and I've applied for a p/t job, but I can't get childcare for the shifts. If he leaves, I won't get working families tax credit with no job and I'm barely managing as it is...I've been statutorily homeless before for over a year, when I left my ex-husband, and I don't want to lose my home again, for the kids' sake as they're so settled. I suppose I'll have to give my own business a go.

But I find living with him so stressful. I feel trapped. Is my partner right, do I just expect too much of him? Should I try to make this work, or ask him to leave? How will I cope with paying the bills? I can't get income support as my maintenance is more than that and I have a mortgaged house.

Sorry for the long post, but if any of you can give me advice, I'd be really grateful!

I think that you should read your post and you will have your answer!

My ex used to play mind games and everything was always my fault. I never realised this until I actually finished it. He also did hardly anything in the house and if I asked him for money towards bills etc it ended up in an argument!!! The house was all in my name but when we split he demanded money from it and because he had done a small amount of work and had paid a tiny contribution over the years I had to give him money so please be careful. luckily I did not have children to consider but you have to consider your children, they already dont want to be in the same house as him and sound scared of him. He has already put your home at risk by setting fire to clothes etc, what happens next time????

maybe the CAB could give you some advice about your finances and what benefits etc you may still be entitled to, or talk to your mortgage company and see if you dan reduce your repayments or have a few months 'off' until you get straight.

At the end of the day you and your childrens health and safety are far more important.

I agree with what tuck has said you should re-read your post your answers are all there for you. Personally I think you should ask him to leave I am sure the CAB will be able to give you some advise. You need to think about your own mental state and that of your childrens.

I wish you the very best of luck in the future.

Thanks, girls. After posting this, I had a talk with my partner again today. I told him (again, after saying the same last night) that things weren't working out. I told him that the children were upset by his behaviour too, not just me.

Of course, as he's done many times before, he tried to justify everything. He also tried to say I must be to blame too. Then, as usually happens when confronted with anything, he went round with a sad face, looking almost tearful and saying that he felt "ashamed", that this wasn't how he imagined his future to be - not living with his partner when she was pregnant. So I said, "When you were imagining that future, did you ever think that your behaviour might make your partner not want to be with you even though she's pregnant?".

He kept on and on about my getting pregnant - as though I had some "master plan" to get pregnant at all costs (it is true that I really wanted another child) and, now that I was, I could just dump him. He said, "Why did you keep trying for a baby if things were so bad between us?" This made me cry, because he's right, I've been incredibly stupid and (as my mum pointed out last night), I've made a terrible mess of my life, but I can't blame this baby for that. I'm trying to hold onto the thought that this baby is a "good" thing, whatever situation I'm in, that it's still a "gift" to be treasured. I don't want to resent the fact that I'm pregnant, because it's not the baby's fault, it's mine. But it's also his too. We've been together for 3 years, living together for most of that time. We got engaged last year. I wanted another child. surely it's not unreasonable that I was trying to get pregnant? I tried to explain this to him, but he just doesn't want me to be pregnant if we're going to split up.

I wanted to be pregnant and with him, living happily with our little family. But me and the children aren't happy living with him because of his terrible mood swings. At Christmas, he promised he'd changed, that he was off dope, that he'd sort himself out. That was the end of December. For all of January, he lied about still smoking dope and taking anti-depressants and was on his "best behaviour". I wanted things to work out between us. After not using contraception for over two years, I got pregnant either in January or early February. By which time, he was openly smoking as much dope as ever and his moods were foul again.

God, I feel like such an idiot. I've gotten myself into a terrible situation - Three kids, two dads, facing being single and no money :cry:

I told him he can have as much or as little to do with the baby as he likes (that's up to him). He knows I'd never stop him seeing his child, because no matter how difficult things got with me and my ex-husband over the past few years, I have always did my best to maintain our relationship so that my ex can have access to the children whenever he wants. I would do this same this time around. I think it's important for children to have a dad.

He's gone out now, "just out" after saying he wishes he was dead. That just makes me worried, when he says things like that, as though I'm responsible for making him unhappy. He knows I have my first ante-natal appointment with my mw this afternoon and said he'll probably not get back till after I've left. I can hardly think about the appointment with the MW.

I just feel like a weak, whimpering wreck :cry: I just want to cling to him and say, "Don't leave me to face all this on my own!" but I know that's just pathetic. I just feel so stupid and so vulnerable. I used to be so strong, capable and independent. I guess it's just the fear of the unknown. I also hate that other people - like my mum and my brother etc. pity me and think I've messed up my life (because I feel the same).

Sorry to keep moaning on here, but it helps to write things down.

Firstly, stop blaming yourself and thinking that you are stupid, that obviously couldnt be further from the truth!

He sounds like a little boy trying to play grown-ups, and I dont mean to offend someone I dont know but thats what it seems to me.

There is one thing you havnt talked about, and I think its an important factor, do you love him? I mean are you "in love" with him, can you honestly see yourself growing old with him?

If you are in love with him, it might be worth an ultimatum. Ask him to move out for a while and if he can prove to you that he can keep up with the anger-management course (which he obviously needs), stay off the pot and show you more respect, then and only then will you consider making a go of it with him. It might be the kick up the rear he needs, as maybe at the moment he thinks he can get away with it and you will keep on forgiving him. Lets face it, give most men an inch and they'll take a mile!

If, however, you dont feel like you are in love with him and you can see yourself a little down the line coping fine without him, then theres your answer.

You dont need him atall, regardless of how you view yourself right now, its obvious from how you write and contemplate things that your an intelligent strong woman. You may not feel very strong at the moment, and thats hardly surprising, but believe me you only need to reach down into yourself to find that strength when you need it.

You deserve so much better than someone who is going to continually blame you for thier own short-comings, someone who refuses to take responsibilty for thier own actions and thier own mind. Your children deserve to see thier mum happy, and if makes you this unhappy - well you know something got to give babe.

If you ever want to talk more feel free to pm me, I know a bit of what your going through as my ex was similiar to this!

Take care xxx :hug:

I'm sure that your family dont pity you, they probably dont like seeing you so unhappy.

If you can make the final break you will probably find that you become a stronger person overnight as you wont be having to think of his feelings or what mood he's gonna be in or watch what you say in case it upsets him.

I really hope that you can work things out

:hug: :hug:

aw hun :hug: sounds like you are going through a really stressful time.

Firstly HIS actions are not YOUR fault, we are all responsible for the way we conduct ourself.

Secondly you will be feeling more emotional and hormonal right now and some things might seem worse because of it. I don't mean you are imagining any of it but it can heighten the way we feel, so it might not be the best time to make rash decisions?

Thirdly, if your partner wants this to work, wants the baby and does feel ashamed of himself (and isn't just trying to make you feel sorry for him) then you need to let him see that you deserve more respect. Respect earns respect on both sides and a relationship can only work with give and take and compromise from both partners. There is no room for people being stubborn and selfish - especially where children are concerned. Maybe you could look into getting some relationship councelling?

To be honest he sounds like he is immature, not living up to his responsibilities, maybe a baby will help him grow up and see what is important in life? But there is no way I would ever put up with being called the names he calls you, so make sure you make it clear to him that it is not acceptable!!

Hope everything works out!! x

he sounds like a jerk.
your responsibility as a mother is to make sure your kids feel safe, secure and loved and if he is jepordising that then you should take yourself and them out of that situation. youve give him opportunity to change and he hasnt i think to remain in that relationship would be selfish if its upsetting your kids, they should be your priority. you say you wouldnt deny him access if you did split but to be honest i wouldnt want my kid spending time with someone who behaves like this.

Hi Girls,

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate you taking the time to read my posts and to write me such detailed replies (thanks all of you, especially you for being objective, TorriElla and you for being supportive, glitzyglamgirl). I decided to take TorriEllas's advice and not rush into any decisions, but the words of nathanmum that I would be "selfish" to stay with him keep ringing in my ears!

Since my last post, I have tried to avoid my partner as much as possible - not easy when you live in the same house :) I mean that I have tried to speak to him as little as possible (without appearing as though I'm in a "mood") just to save being drawn into arguments. This worked to a certain degree in that we haven't been arguing as much, but he has started to argue with my son more.

My family (the adults) have continued to point out my patner's faults, but it's my children's opinions that really matter to me. My little boy has started to be uncharacteristically cheeky to my partner. I mean, like all kids, he can be naughty, but he seems to hold my partner in such contempt. I don't want my son to talk back that way to an adult, but on the other hand, I realise he has no respect for my partner and resents him. I've explained to my partner that this is because he spends no time with the kids and that because they see his own outbursts and that of course the children are not going to accept him trying to discipline them. He thinks that just because he's an adult, the children should do as he says, especially if he shouts as loud as he can, as close to their faces as he can (he only shouts like this at my son and me).

My little girl commented on this to me. She asked whe he never shouts at her like that (as e.g. her room is as untidy as her brother's). Again, she was like a mini-adult, coming into my room and "lecturing" me, telling me that my partner doesn't love me, because he wouldn't treat me the way he does if he did. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at her trying to give me advice (she's just turned eight). I told her that I could look after myself and that I didn't want her worrying about me, but she gave me a look as if to say, "But you're not doing anything about it, are you?"

When I've seen how my brother plays with my children and how they adore him (their faces light up when they see him), I realise that my partner isn't a positive male role model for them. I also realise that the way my partner acts isn't what I want for my daughter (or my son) to expect for future relationships when they're older.

I have asked my partner to leave many times. He went out on Saturday night and didn't get home until about 7am, so spent most of yesterday (Sunday) in bed. Me and the children were out for most of the day. As soon as we got home, he picked an argument with my son. It was so typical and so depressing. Last night again, when the kids were in bed, I told him to leave. I said that I don't want to be on my own, but that I have to think of the children: they don't even like my partner any more; they don't want to be around him (and I don't blame them). I feel relieved when he goes to work each day and dread him coming home. He does nothing with us at weekends. My mum babysat on saturday night, but my partner went out with his friends, whilst I sat at home on my own. Typically, he spent most of Sunday in bed.

I am sick fed up of him. It's got to that stage where I don't even like him! It was good to read my first post - all the things I wrote - that we do nothing as a couple, or as a family, that he does nothing around the house, except boss us all around - I just wish he'd bugger off and give us peace! I feel bad for telling him to leave immediately, but if I offer to wait, say a month, until he saves up for a deposit on a flat, that day will never come.

I told him last night to leave and this time to take all of his stuff and not to 'phone or text me. He said he'd leave tomorrow (i.e. today), but last night, again, he just went round with a sad face and the same this morning until he went to work. He hasn't packed a thing. I know he's hoping that if he keeps quiet for a day or two, I'll feel sorry for him and my resolve will weaken. I just wish there was some way out of this nightmare! He knows I'm vulnerable, that I don't want to be on my own. I need the willpower to get him out and keep him out, but I'm so soft: I end up feeling sorry for him and like some sort of ogre for making him go and feeling vulnerable about coping on my own (but this time, I'm reminding myself this is for my kids' sake).

His mum 'phoned me last night (he was out for a few hours). I feel so two-faced. She was excitedly babbling on about the baby. I just felt like telling her that her son and I won't be together when the baby arrives....

I just wish I could see a way out of this. As glitzyglam girl says, some point in the future when I'm coping okay on my own. I just wanted him to be nicer to us, less stressful to live with, less bad-tempered and not stoned all the time.

Aaargh :x the more I write, the angrier I become (which is good). He's the one whose bad temper and muddled up priorities has ruined things. I'm not being the unreasonable one.

It's a beautiful day, the summer is on its way and I CAN COPE! I'm going downstairs to pack his clothes away. Hopefully, by this time tomorrow, he'll have left and I won't be panicking about it.

I need to stop being such a wimp!

Hun you're a strong girl you will survive :hug: :hug: I wish you the best of luck for your future with your children and hope you meet someone nice and loving and caring along the way.

sorry if it sounded like i was being horrible i didnt mean it to come across like that. i just think that when you become a mum it becomes your job to make their lives happy and fulfilled, yes you should be happy to but not at the sacrifice of your kids. does that make sense?

You sound like a wonderful person who just drew the short straw with your BF.
I went cold reading r post because he sounded like one of my mums BFs many years ago, and im talking spot on.Drunk, ,loud, abusive, agressive and would do the odd family thing so he could still fit in where he wasnt wanted.

Please for your childrens sake and your own get the man out of your house, because he may be ok/borderlinbe one day, but what will happen when the new baby crys or your other children kick off, or you might do something that sends him over the egde with no return.

I saw my stepfather frighten and bully my mother for years with lasting images and damaging effects. I dont want that for your children or you.

There are other men out there who are far more deserving of you then this man your with now, as for money, please speak to your local jobseekers to see what they can do to help you and take all of your familys support, because i bet they will be glad to see the back of him.

hi MrsTommo,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the lovely, encouraging things you wrote. I haven't replied to this thread for a while and I'll explain why. I dithered for a while and went on holiday with my partner because it was all booked and I'm really "soft" - I thought it would be really mean not to let him go. Well, the holiday was a disaster - a lot of it was to do with my moods, but being stuck in a caravan for hours with a person when it rains certainly highlights the cracks in your relationship!

Anyway, I asked him to leave when we got back and I've been on my own since. It's very difficult...I feel so vulnerable and alone. It's all very well and nice of the girls on here writing and giving advice, but none so far have said (or perhaps I've missed it?), "I'm pregnant and on my own with kids too". Everyone who gave advice has a partner. Now, that doesn't mean that I don't value yur advice, ladies, or that you don't have anything valid to say, it's just that unless you're in this situation yourself right now, then it's hard to get across to you how vulnerable it makes you feel...and I wish I could talk with someone ese who's going through the same thing right now.

Even though, as I've said, I KNOW I can cope practically, there's still a terrible sadness, that "bereavement" stage to go through and it seems worse when you're already wobbly under the weight of emotions caused by hormones. You question whether it's "you" or them. I know I'm a bit of a nutter right now anyway and far more bad-tempered, argumentative and tearful than normal.

There's also the fact that you have to try and remain "friends" and keep thing civilised for the sake of a baby who isn't even a person yet. By that, I mean it's easier to maintain a relationship with the father of a child if they already have a relationship established before you split up - it's harder to keep in touch with a person you're trying to forget because you want your child - who's not going to even be born for months - to know his/her dad.

One minute I want him back because I feel lonely and scared about being in this situation on my own, other times, I feel angry that he's not the person I need him to be. Most of the time, I feel sad and wonder how I'm going to pick myself up from this and feel "normal" again.

The hard part just now - as well as the lack of money - is that I have no help with the children and worry how I'll cope with them AND a newborn for the first week or so. My mum babysits rarely and thinks she doesn't have to bother any more because I'm pregnant. It's not as though I want to be out clubbing or anything, but I feel a sense of panic that I'll not have another adult who can even give me half an hour off when the baby arrives.

The other thing I feel really tearful about is that I have no birth partner. My bf thinks birth is disgusting (but has lately said he'd be there) and my mum doesn't even want to be told when I'm in labour (I didn't tell her when I had my older 2) as she finds it too upsetting/worrying. I don't have a sister or a friend to ask, so this is adding to my feelings of being on my own.

My bf is back staying with his parents, seeing his mates and going out at weekends and it makes me feel resentful that he is able to go on with life as normal. He 'phones me Mon-Wed (obviously when there's nothing else on with his mates) and is all nice, offering to do things round the house, but I just think it's too little too late. He came round the odd Tuesday or Wednesday in the last couple of weeks, saying all the right things, then the rest of the time, I didn't see him as he was out with his mates. When I got upset about this, he said that no other woman would expect him to stay in at weekends/not see his friends those other days (he has lots of friends and for different things). I protested that I can't get out like he can, but he simply said that it's not his fault I was on my own with 2 kids when he met me. That made me really angry.

He has given me the money for a private scan and offers to come round, as I said, at the start of the week, but I don't think I should let him act as though he's "doing his bit" when really, he's still acting like a single guy. But he says I'm "not giving him a chance". Is he right? The kids say they don't want him back, that they're sick of him bossing us all around and shouting all the time. So I'm on my own for the foreseeable future!

I'm trying to keep myself busy, taking the kids out swimming etc and painting the house, but I feel like I'm going through the motions, just trying to get through each day. And it's not made any easier with him keeping 'phoning. When I don't answer, he comes round to "cut the grass" - ha, for the first time in his life!!! and then I feel guilty and think I should let him stay the night. I know, I've been a sap, but I'm trying to get tougher. It's not easy.

I do admittedly have a hubby, but I watched my mother live life as a single mum with 2 youngkids and no money and our fathers had buggered off long ago, so i do know how you feel.

I told my mum about you though and her face went quite serious as i told her your story and she wanted me to give you some advice from a old broad that has been there done that!

She said no matter what happens you cannot be with a man who is self centered and bully you and others for fun.A real man wouldnt yell at you or come home steaming drunk and call you names and bully you and other children. A real man who loved you would give you peace of mind, security, love and affection. No matter how much you may miss him at times there isnt no point going back to square 1 again because you cannot go forward in life and round the corner somewhere something good alwasy happens to those that deserve it.

And my old dear was a battered woman, a single one and is now a happily married one.

Whatever happens carry on becasie going through the motions can only go somwehere, not no where.

Its so heartbreaking to read you cannot rely on your mother, does she not see what your going through?

As for a birth partner, explain your situation to your midwife, she may be able to help you with that as everyone needs support going through all that. My mum had a health asistant hold her handf and get her through it and she said she was wonderful, she said it didnt matter whether she knew her or not she just needed someone to be therte for her!

As fir your BF hes living the life as a single lad, andf if he only bothers to see you the odd xouple of days a week, hes not ready to become a responasble and loving parent or partner.
No matter hpw bad you must feel most days you are better off on your own and im glad your children had the courage to tell you that they didnt want him back in youre home, as they are obviously scared of him and fed up of vthe screaming and shouting. Frightening that they understand your BF so well, especially youre daughter, if she can see he dont love you if he does that then she has her head screwed firmly on!

I pray you get through all of this and ploease try to enjoy your pregnancy, its meant to be a time of joy and i only wish you felt the way i do.

I have my own probs at the mo being homeless and living with my family at my MIL, and i was feeling sorry for myself until i read your post and it has certainly opened my eyes!

Love sarah x

I've been there hun, get out I'd say. My ex began like that then stamped on my chest and broke three of my ribs. Needless to say he doesn't see our 6 year old.

Here for you if you want to chat

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the advice -from you and your mum :D I know, everything you and your mum say is right. My bf was on the phone to me last night because he's fed up at his mum's. Today, he 'phoned again and was quite tearful, saying that he realises now that “things don't look good". It's my nature to feel guilty that someone else is upset and I could do something to make them feel better, but I quickly reminded myself that if this was Saturday, he wouldn't be feeling sorry for himself - he'd be too busy out with his mates! And I remembered how stressful life was with him here - it is honestly so peaceful with him gone that today, I started to wonder whether I could ever put myself through wanting to live with a man ever again! :D

I'm decorating my living room. I'm tired, because there's everything else to do for the kids (making dinner, doing the washing etc) as well, but I feel good. I've had the radio on and it's keeping me occupied. At least he's not here, moaning at me about how much I've spent on paint (very little, I got it from a car boot sale) or what colour I've chosen. He's always had far too much to say about what I want to do in the house, but never helped.

My mum is nice and kind, just a bit like a "teenager" – even though she’s near 60, she still has a social life. She (and most people) see me as very strong and independent because when I'm upset, I hide away and don't tell people when I'm feeling down. I find it hard to show my emotions. My mum also works. The reason I can't rely on her for the labour is because her first baby died due to hospital neglect (a simple problem that she told them about that was ignored until it was too late) and with her second child, she haemorrhaged so badly (then was given the wrong blood transfusion) that she almost died herself. She's had such awful birth experiences that she's - understandably, I think - quite phobic about it, so I only let her know once I've safely delivered, to save her the stress.

I also wanted to say, Sarah, that I know how you feel about being homeless. As I said in my first post, I was homeless for a year and a half with my 2 children.

I typed up this reply yesterday, but before I had the chance to send it, my bf was in the house, shouting, “Hello!” so I had to quickly save it in ‘word’ and come out of the forum. He made out he was round to collect his tools, but stayed for hours. I mostly just left him to it and kept painting. We then argued and he left. I was amazed how stressful it was, just having him there again. I was relieved when he left. He ‘phoned me later on too. This is becoming a habit – long calls before bed. I know it’s because he’s fed up at his parents’ house. He can’t smoke dope freely there for a start, or boss anyone around! I’ve told him that he’ll feel better as soon as he gets himself a flat.

I’ve realised that I started grieving for the end of this relationship a while ago. At first, I was kidding myself things would improve, then I was depressed. Lately, I’ve been angry – mostly with him that he’s not the man I need him to be, but also with myself for being as stupid as to put up with things so long. Now, I’m beginning to feel calmer and stronger. I just hope I can keep it up! I think things are much easier in the summer, when the weather’s nice and the evenings lighter. Come winter and the long, lonely dark nights, when I’m due the baby, I might feel all, “Woe is me” again.

Right now, I don’t want him back. I’m fed up with him and can’t believe the rubbish I put up with for so long. I’ve applied for a college course, due to start when the baby is a year old, which comes with a grant and childcare. That would give me something positive to focus on whilst enjoying a year out with the baby. Positive thoughts!

For now, I’m going to paint every room in this house and sort out a budget. I'll need to get rid of all non-essential things like the 'phone and TV etc. (maybe even internet), but hopefully, I should just about manage to pay the bills for now.

P.S. saw your post too, Babylicious and was sorry to hear about how you were treated. Thanks for the offer of support and glad to hear you've survived that and came out the other end

You dont need us to say anymore then, you know what you want and reading your post you seem much happier and hopeful and im so pleased for you. Your entitled to a peaceful life for yourself and your children, and if that means keeping the BF away, taking him out of your personal life all together, then so be it. Being happy is paramount, and if that upsets a few then they are not worth the damn worry.

Im so sorry to read that bit about your mum, i thought she just vmight not be very supportive but i understand now, no wonder she hates hospitals!

Hope the painting is going well, and you have a mask! the fumes are not good for the LO :D

You dont need to be independant and strong all the time, let your emotions flow a bit and tewll your loved ones (pot calling kettle black here).Dont pretend anything, you can be superwoman all the time no matter how hard you try, i have just the one child at the mo and looking after him and MIL house is hard enough!

Glad you seem to be more positive.Keep in touch.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back