What helped you the most in labour?

vixxie77

Reaction score
I had an extremely long and terrible labour last time, so really want to do all I can this time to make it as easy and sort as possible.

So what do you think made your labour easier/quicker? Drugs, birthing pool, food, drink?? Anything you can think of will be much appreciated ladies. Thank you :) x x

Natal hypnotherapy and my husband. :)

Epidural!! I never wanted one. I wanted a water birth but i didnt have a choice in the matter. I had to have an early epi as i had heart problens as a baby/child so they wanted to steady my heart rate. I went in at 5cm and was so uncpmfortable but felt 100 times better after the epidural xxx

bouncing on my ball and walking around helped a lot. then the gas helped at the hard part

Raspberry leaf tea for the last few weeks was, I swear, what made my labour so short (1hr 40 mins established labour) also, from the moment everything started, keeping as mobile as possible, didn't lie down until I was forced to 40 mins before Lo arrived and that was only because I was losing too much blood being stood up.

I felt being in the birthing pool really helped, lots of gas & air & staying up & moving around until you really need to lie down x

I was induced and had no pain relief and my labour was quick, I put it down to natal hypnotherapy which helped with breathing and also moving round, walking and rocking helped me loads! XX

Epidural and my wonderful husband! :)

my DH rubbing my back early on then the epidural later was amazing, no pain and was able to rest before pushing. would recommend epi to anyone being induced as its supposed to be more intense and painful.

Bouncing on the ball and my OH leaving me alone and doing whatever I asked lol.

In both labours walking around defo help me cope, with the second I had a water birth and that really helped. I,ll be going for another this time if poss.

Even though before I gave birth I heard lots of people tell me not to sit on my bum in bed and give birth that way - that's what actually made it somewhat bearable! I tried different positions like kneeling over the bed, but when contractions came I couldn't cope with it so had a sit down.

Gas & air was great too!

Birthing ball , my partner and diamorphine the stuff is amazing and I found being on all fours when having contractions helped xxx

Last edited:
Lying in the birthing pool (although I didn't actually give birth in there) midwife also gave me aromatherapy oils to inhale and gas and air worked wonders. OH would rub my back everytime I got a contraction so a combination of this helped me have a drug free labour. Hope all goes well for you x x

Some great tips ladies, thank you so much :D

I did have an epi last time, which was amazing after being in pain for nearly 24 hours, but I won't be having one this time, she says lol. I really want to be able to stay mobile, try the birthing pool and also try different positions for actually giving birth, as it took ages to push her out too. I also have a hypnobirthing cd from a friend so will give that a go too.

Please keep the advise coming :) thanks x x

I read loads of books leading up to my 2nd, having had a 23 hour labour 1st time round! The things that still stick in my mind are "ignore labour til you can't possibly ignore it any mire" and "giving birth is like baking a cake" r something like that!

My 2nd labour was a bit exceptional, but rather than sitting counting contractions right from yhe start, I just got on with what I was doing! Which was getting home from the shops and giving K her lunch! I ended up giving birth an hour ish after my first contraction and they estimated my established labour time yo be 3 minutes! I literally ignored it right up til then! Although my contractions never regulated, I only had a few in that hour! Even when I started pushing I was convinced I was just having a poo :lol:

And yhe labour being like making a cake, I understood it yo be like how there's the prep time, getting your ingredients, mixing them up and then baking and eventually getting the bun out yhe oven so to speak :lol:

Being in the water actually slowed my labour down so I won't be doing that this time but before getting in I found walking around keeping mobile and deep & gentle breathing through contractions really helped!

Doing Yoga, learning how to breathe through the contractions so they didn't even hurt.
Having someone really good to rub my back. (my mum).
I started having a water birth but they have to make the water the same temp as you so the baby doesn't breathe when the head is out and that was too hot for me so I wouldn't do it again but I'm happy I tried it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back