My BLW journal

Helen seb is adorable!!

I have a few questions - when i have given h some stuff (rice cakes. baby biscuits) sometimes he chokes and has been sick twice. Any advice on preventing this? He always has water available too!

Also can you give them granary bread? its the seeds i'm worried about!

The only way to stop it is to let them do it :( it's how they learn to move food about safely in their mouths. We had a few gagging sessions at first and one throwing up occasion (after which he happily carried on eating ;)( but now it's a very very rare occurance. It's scary when they gag but we just let him get on with it and he's never choked.
I dunno about granary seed bread. If you make it yourself you could perhaps grind the seeds to make them smaller?

Tuesday 3rd May
Breakfast was plain yogurt with sliced strawberries on the side. He loves preloaded spoons! I'm going to start giving him a bowl with some in and I'll keep the pot and we'll swap :)
Snack was rice cake with dairylea which goes down well
Lunch was yellow pepper omelette strips with cucumber on the side! He just adores cucumber and goes straight for it (in fact he's really drawn to all green food strangely) and the omelette was played with and squidged before tasted :) he quite liked it!
Dinner was roast chicken salad with new potatoes tossed in unsalted butter and basil and garlic ciabatta bread. He's still not into bread but he loved the chicken and new potatoes. The lettuce must have felt funny on his tongue and gums as he pulled some hilarious faces when it went in his mouth :D

I am still absolutely loving this! It's helped us eat better too and really focused our energies to eat together. I'm looking forward to the day Seb can say grace with us! I must admit that before weaning Seb my eating habits were horrendous and very often I wouldn't eat at all until dinner time but now I eat with Seb to set a good example and it's brilliant :) it's made a huge difference in our lives x

Helen seb is adorable!!

I have a few questions - when i have given h some stuff (rice cakes. baby biscuits) sometimes he chokes and has been sick twice. Any advice on preventing this? He always has water available too!

Also can you give them granary bread? its the seeds i'm worried about!

Yeah we had a lot of gagging and some minor choking but they just cough it back out. It's hard to start with.
We give granary bread no probs.

Helen - glad you're still loving it :) Seb's looking so big now in recent pics (and too cute!) We've had some red arms from tomato based foods I think but not pineapple. We're still offering tomato based but keep an eye on him. He's so sensitive! Owen's really started putting ht efood away now! I love it!:):)

So glad you're enjoying it minchin and that Owen's munching away :D The first time we gave him pineapple he got a slight red rash so we carried on but this looked like a burn so we've stopped for now :(
He's been fine with everything else :)

Ignore any typos-my iPhone loves to autocorrect :)

Wednesday 4th May
Breakfast was melon slices. He loves melon and really goes for it!
Snack was cheese and cucumber but he wasn't interested as soon the biscuits came out at the toddler group so he had a malted milk biccie which went down a treat!
Lunch was skipped for a bottle and 2 hour nap
Snack was pear slices
Dinner was homemade pasta bolognaise. He had so much fun with this! It got squashed, eaten, thrown, splatted and sucked :) brilliant, absolutely brilliant! I love the amount of fun he has with food!

Some pics will follow below

Ignore any typos-my iPhone loves to autocorrect :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304539586.600272.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304539586.600272.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 7
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304539612.936784.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304539612.936784.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 8
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304539638.158792.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304539638.158792.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 7
Tomatoey stuff like bolognase gets everywhere doesn't it?! Drake had spinach and ricotta canelloni last nigh and he LOVED it! He seems to love pasta and he also loves crackerbread.

The burn like welts you mentioned, Drake gets these from oranges! They go after a couple of hours though.

Yeah they disappeared after a couple of hours and bothered me more than him! Lol!

Sounds like Drake's having enormous fun! :) We love it!

Thursday 5th May
Breakfast was scrambled eggs. He pulled some funny faces the first time he popped some in his mouth but soon decided he liked them! Lol!
Snack was pear slices which went down well.
Lunch was pitta bread strips with hummus, cucumber and tomatoes which he loves!
Snack was melon again another favourite food
Dinner was meatloaf with kale, broccoli and cauliflower. He loves meatloaf and the broccoli and cauliflower got seriously munched. The kale must have felt funny as he pulled faces every time it touched his tongue/gums! Very funny. He really enjoyed this meal.

I can't believe how much he's eating! His chewing is astounding to say he has no teeth :) He had two yogurts before going to bed and ate practically all of both of them! My little baby's now a little man :(

Friday 6th May
Breakfast was pear slices-he managed a whole pear!
Snack was cucumber sticks. Loved as always
Lunch was red pepper, bacon and parsley omelette which he had tons of fun with! He seemed to enjoy it and found it much much easier than scrambled eggs! Lol!
Snack was melon slices with kiwi fruit. He really really enjoyed this. He loves fruit!
Dinner was supposed to be moules marinieres but Tesco had no mussels so I did griddled Tuna steak with griddled asparagus, corn on the cob and salsa. He spent 15 minutes devouring the corn on the cob! It was amazing to watch. He ate a quarter of the tuna and chewed on two asparagus spears but the hands down favourite was the corn! He loved it!

aww bless. WE need some corn on the cob pictures! its great!

He loves corn on the cob;

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304797576.801139.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304797576.801139.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 9
haha aww bless him! Really getting stuck in isnt he!

I ordered a BLW book from the library. Gunna have a read through it and decide if its right for us but im really uo for it... my OH not so much because of the whole gagging thing!

Here's some pics from Friday;

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304797654.582144.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304797654.582144.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 8
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304797700.012757.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304797700.012757.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 7
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304797738.899177.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304797738.899177.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 7
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304797905.497368.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304797905.497368.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 8
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304797951.350495.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304797951.350495.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 6
Gagging is scary at first but once you've read the book and actually understand the mechanics of why it's much less scary because you understand they're not choking :) let me know what you think of the book :) it's brilliant and I recommend BLW to everyone! In fact I've had 3 people say next time they have a baby they'll BLW :d makes me happy!

Saturday 7th May
Breakfast was porridge fingers with sultanas. He loves them and they're so easy for him to grip. He's developing the pincer grip slowly and takes enormous interest in watching us when we're gripping food :)
Snack was kiwi fruit and banana with DD and he loved it! Kiwi fruits been a definate hit!
Lunch was sausages, scrambled egg and mushrooms. The sausages were a bit hut and miss, he wasn't hugely fond but kept attempting it :) liked the mushrooms and eggs.
Snack was sausage rolls which he demolished, cucumber and a Jaffa cake (we were at a party and they had a buffet) the Jaffa cake was a hit and the sausage rolls disappeared in minutes!
Dinner was skipped for bottle and bed.

in quite alot of your post you say meal was skipped for a bottle....

Does this mean you offered him food and he refused it? or you gave him a bottle instead??

It means I give him a bottle instead usually because of the way the timings work out-for example today he had a bottle at 6.30 instead of dinner as we had a late lunch and later than usual snack and it happened to work out that dinner time coincided with a bottle. Because food is only for fun atm (BLW motto is food is fun until they're one) I don't worry about how much he's eating or if he misses a meal or snack because he still gets everything he needs from his milk :)

It means I give him a bottle instead usually because of the way the timings work out-for example today he had a bottle at 6.30 instead of dinner as we had a late lunch and later than usual snack and it happened to work out that dinner time coincided with a bottle. Because food is only for fun atm (BLW motto is food is fun until they're one) I don't worry about how much he's eating or if he misses a meal or snack because he still gets everything he needs from his milk :)

ahh i see so you do everything as you have been doing and then inbetween bottles give him the food which he doesnt have to have?? i think im getting this now. haha

Yep! Because we're used to the whole 'my baby eats this much' spoon feeding way of things it's difficult to readjust brain to accepting them not eating everything put in front of them, sometimes not even putting it in their mouth, the book explains better than I can :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back