My BLW journal

MrsR

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a BLW journal so I can easily see how we're doing and what is popular! Lol! Ok.

Saturday 26th March

Gave Seb some pieces of pear whilst we were eating our dinner. He always sits in a highchair at the table and has taken an active interest in us eating for a very very long time but because I'm really really interested in BLW rather than purees. He picked the pear up easily and it went straight to his mouth. The faces he pulled were so funny! But he kept going back for more. It was brilliant to see him exploring food for the first time!

Sunday 27th March
We tried pear again today at dinner time again. He seemed more impressed this time and chewed some off. He gagged for the first time and it's so hard not to panic! OH nearly intervened until I told him not to. I explained that it's completely natural for them to gag and that is the way he moves food around his mouth. It's actually the way they stop themselves from choking. OH sat back down and the next time it happened was a little less scared! Only a little though! Lol. When Seb's had enough he drops the food on the floor and then looks at it! :)

Monday 28th March
Seb had pear and banana twice today. He's getting really excited when he sees the food! I love seeing him enjoying himself and exploring the food! It's fantastic! I'm not worried about how much he's eating just that he's having fun :) The banana was an interesting experience! He loved squashing it in his fingers and nibbling at it. I've been giving him water in an anyway up cup which he enjoys holding and banging and offering him water in his bottle too to make sure he's getting some if he wants it.

Tuesday 29th March
Gave Seb some baby cereal this morning. He had a spoon and I had a spoon. He was putting the spoon in the bowl and in his mouth and seemed to really enjoy it! It went absolutely everywhere but that was part of the fun! He thought it was hilarious when he'd had enough (again by throwing spoon on the floor but also by clamping his mouth shut) to squish and squash the cereal in his hands! Brilliant facial expressions and so much fun!
He had pear and banana again for a snack and he's really loving it! He gagged slightly on the banana but only once.
I gave Seb some steamed carrot sticks for dinner. We had some on our plate too. He loved carrot immediatly! He kept going back again and again! Definately a winner with this one! It's so encouraging watching him chewing and also watching him watching us, joining in as a family! This was definately the best descision for us! OH is much more relaxed now and DD thinks it's brilliant too!

Wednesday 30th March
Seb had banana porridge for breakfast this morning. Again he had a spoon and I had a spoon! He ate all of it and loved playing with the spoon. We all eat breakfast together and it's so fantastic having us all together, chatting away. Seb joined in too!
Had Tims Tots today and decided to buy some little Tupperware boxes to take pieces of fruit and veg with me for when I go out as Seb missed his snack today. He had some cucumber when we got home though and, like the carrot, it went down an absolute treat! I can really see a difference in his hand-eye coordination and his grip has definately come on a lot more!
Dinner saw more carrot and some potato. He wasn't too keen on the potato though. Think it might have been the texture. His mood has improved dramatically today which has lead me to think the reason he was such a grumpy sod was because milk wasn't satisfying him!

Thursday 31st March
Apple cereal again this morning! He is getting so excited when he sees his spoon and bowl! His coordination with the spoon is getting better and better though it's still fun to see where he can manage to get it! Lol!
Tried Seb with plum and pear today. The plum was inspected thoroughly before being demolished! Lol! I'll pop some pics in below.
Dinner today was roasted courgette, red pepper, orange pepper and mushroom with grilled chicken. Seb loved the courgette and red pepper. He tried everything though and I can really see the benefits of BLW. He never hesitates to pick up and try the food put before him! I remember doing this with DD and she has never been fussy but I'd forgotten the joys of seeing a baby just going for it! He's absolutely living it and so am I! It's a good job I'm relaxed about mess and such-as long as he has a great time I don't care! The mess can easily be sorted! As ling as Seb's happy! :) No gagging today :)

Friday 1st April
Banana breakfast again. Going to go shopping today so I think I'll get some ready brek. He decided he was having both spoons today :) fine by me as he had loads of fun!!!!
Been shopping just in time for snack. Mango today! Inspected very very thoroughly and chewed with some great face pulling! He kept at it though! Lol!
Dinner was steamed butternut squash and carrot with oregano. I'm slowly introducing herbs. He loved it! When I'm doing meals he can eat too (I didn't expect to be weaning until tomorrow (he'll be 24 weeks) so I made meals in advance for me, OH and DD-three of which he can't eat because they have stock in them!) he'll just have what we're having. For example I'm doing roast chicken with all the trimmings on Sunday so he'll be having that with us! I can not wait! It's so so so much easier!!!! Love it!!!!

Oh so nice reading how you're getting on! We are BLW too and I am absolutely loving it :) Hard at times with the gagging but none of that anymore. He's been doing it for almost 6 weeks now! Every day he seems to chew/swallow/eat a little more! Will have to get some pics up somewhere to share! Will be following yours and Sebs journey :) and especially looking out for recipe ideas! Owen loves fish, the stronger flavour the better it seems!!!

Thanks hon x aw glad you're enjoying it too! You've just reminded me to put pics up! Lol!

Breakfast.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301728798.313260.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301728798.313260.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 16
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301728838.556385.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301728838.556385.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 15
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301728872.040565.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301728872.040565.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 15
Snack with plum and pear.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301728987.372342.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301728987.372342.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 17
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301729014.177056.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301729014.177056.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 11
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301729040.341775.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301729040.341775.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 12
Saturday 2nd April

It's my Saturday for a lie in but that was cut short as OH was giving Seb some ready brek (with no sugar and made up with formula) when suddenly he started crying (Seb not OH) for no apparant reason! Turns out he was shattered and fell asleep immediatly whilst having a cuddle!
Seb had some mango and plum for snack this morning. He's absolutely loving plum! It went down an absolute treat! The mango was tried again and again but with less enthusiasm. It was great to have all of us sat sharing the fruit together and Seb spent ages watching us all eating. We've been offering him water out of a beaker rather than a sippy cup which is hilarious! He loves watching us drink though so I think he'll get the idea soon!
Lunch was a late one as we went out to eat and my did I see the benefits of BLW! There was a little girl on the table next to ours about 9 months old. She was throwing an almighty tantrum whilst her mum was fighting with her to get some pureed mush in her. Meanwhile Seb was sat in his high chair happily chattering away to us digging into broccoli, carrots and cucumber! We only gave him 2/3 pieces at a time but he loved it! The broccoli was squashed, prodded, stroked and finally eaten and the faces and concentration that went on was brilliant! We know he loves carrot and cucumber but I have to say that cucumber is his absolute favourite! He actually ate (yes chewed and swallowed) loads of the cucumber! The restaurant were absolutely brilliant and brought out a bowl of broccoli and carrots and a bowl of cucumber for him! OH and I were so proud of him! I can not stress how amazing it is to see your baby chewing and eating food! I also joined a BLW forum today. It seems a bit quiet and not as friendly as here but we'll see how it goes I guess.
A very successful day today! I can nit wait for him to have his first roast dinner tomorrow :)

I'll be following this closely Hun as i plan on tryin blw, he looks like he's enjoying his food! do you just take the skin of the plum and cut it into pieces? x

Yeah I peeled the plum and cut it into pieces. It was so funny watching him picking it up! He's got loads of patience. Another huge difference we've both noticed is how much his grip has come on in so short a time!

Yayyyyy another follower :) Love it x

I tried charley on slices of banana earlier. He picked a piece up and put the whole slice in his mouth and I panicked and managed to scrape it out! I don't think I'm ready for blw yet :(

Sounds like its going fab. Love the pictures too.

I'd love to do BLW with my next babba. x

I tried charley on slices of banana earlier. He picked a piece up and put the whole slice in his mouth and I panicked and managed to scrape it out! I don't think I'm ready for blw yet :(

He would have spat it out x I know how hard it is to not panic though! Watching OH panic the first time Seb gagged was funny in a strange way x hope you're ok hon x

Go for it CB! It's brilliant!

Actually were they circular slices LM or chip shaped pieces?

This is lovely to read, I started giving Matt purees but he enjoys food so much more when its whole and he feeds himself, he loves banana and broccoli and toast - I am going to try him with cucumber now after reading this! xx

They were circular x x

I give Matt half a whole banana, he actually bites pieces off and munches them up - he loves it! I was worried too after I used to think Rosie was choking, I used to rip her out of the highchair and throw her upside down! Its hard not to panic xx

I did think maybe I should try it not chopped up so he can takes bites himself instead. Will try again tomorrow x.

It's easier for them if they're chip shaped x def try again and let us know how you get on :)

Yay RM! Hope he likes cucumber :)

Sunday 3rd April
Mothering Sunday! Yay!!! Seb had some new banana and raisin cereal this morning! I had to laugh at the blurb on the packet-it says 'this cereal contains pieces of raisins and oats to help babies get used to lumps and build up the facial muscles for speech and chewing' (it's recommended from 7 months but because we're BLW and he's used to having to chew I thought we'd try it) I laughed because that's what BLW does from the very beginning! It seems so strange to me that in our society babies learn to swallow before they learn to chew (with pureed food) and then we try to go back and teach them how to chew! Lmao! Anyway he loved the cereal! Was covered in it again and had an absolute ball! The smiles we got were brilliant!
We went to church and silly mummy forgot to pack some fruit so daddy got sent to the fruit shop to buy some. Seb had some pear, banana and plum and everyone was absolutely amazed! He just got on with though when he'd had enough of the banana it did get flung nearly across the room! :D Lol!
For lunch today we gad a gorgeous Sunday lunch. Roast chicken (no salt just thyme and garlic on it) with honey roast parsnips for us and boiled parsnip for Seb, sweetcorn, mash potatoes, roast potatoes (again just for us not Seb) and Yorkshire puddings. He LOVED it! Didn't manage any of the sweetcorn but I didn't expect him to as his pincer grip isn't developed enough yet. It was his first ever Sunday lunch! I'm so proud of him! He's taken to this like a duck to water!
I've not done dinner yet but he's going to try some pasta today. With a cheesey sauce. Can't wait to see how it goes down!

Here's some Sunday lunch pics;

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301844188.331396.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301844188.331396.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 17
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301844223.686418.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301844223.686418.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 15
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301844282.185288.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301844282.185288.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 13
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301844334.873764.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301844334.873764.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 9
This is brilliant Helen. Well done Seb! Is the forum you're on about on babyledweaning.com? The one linked to the book?

I can't wait to do this, i gave Tegan a piece of banana earlier she managed it quiet well! what do you give Seb If what your eating isn't suitable? sorry for all the questions Hun, Im going to read a blw book later that i got from the car boot this morning! x

ROL yeah that's the forum x I haven't read the BLW books but am going to get them tomorrow.

ZMD if he can't have what we're having, for example chilli, I'm going to make him the same but without chilli and kidney beans in it, so ill tweak what we're having to make a suitable version for him. Tbh I'm going to be planning my menu around what he can eat as well so that he's joining in completely. I'm telling everyone how fantastic BLW is because I love it so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back