Is anyone planning on bottle feeding?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Chat' started by Blueclass, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Jojo84

Jojo84 Well-Known Member

They haven't even mentioned feeding to me yet and I'm 32 weeks!

2. russellmuscle

russellmuscle Well-Known Member

My MW mentioned mine at booking at 8 weeks :lol:

I think they like to get a rough overview and remind of the important things during the booking ie smoking, drinking, BFing ...

It wasnt like forced just a casual question.

xxxx

3. Blueclass

Blueclass Well-Known Member

At my booking which I'd forgotten till my OH just reminded me about said I take it your breast feeding? I said I'd try. If totally forgot about this conversation x

4. Rainbow1234

Rainbow1234 Well-Known Member

I decided I was going to formula feed and didn't even try breastfeeding. I read all the info and made the decision I felt was best for me, OH and my baby. To be honest, apart from some things you read on forums, I never really felt any pressure from anyone, including midwives. I accepted they had to give me the info but was pretty firm in saying 'I'm formula feeding' and never got questioned. my daughter is thriving, she is happy, healthy and fed so I refuse to even enter debates about it with anyone. Do what's right for you and if anyone questions it just be firm and brush it off x

#44 Rainbow1234, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  5. YorksLass

YorksLass Well-Known Member

Only just discussed it with mw today at 27 weeks - was given a pamphlet and told her I do intend to bf if I can. Of course some women can't through having difficulties with it, I'm just remaining flexible about it! She was pretty chilled out about it - I didn't feel pressurised :)

6. MrsW84

MrsW84 Well-Known Member

also i hate the term 'breast is best'
    its rubbish anyway there are so many factors to take into account for some women it is best not to breastfeed for mental or physical health reasons
    and having a happy healthy mum will help baby way more than breast milk ever can!
    sorry to rant its just one of those things that annoys me ----oh like 'full time mum' to describe a stay at home mum---makes anyone who works seem like a part time mum!
    anyway rant over
    x

7. scn

scn Well-Known Member

Along with the talk at my booking app at 10 weeks I also got a breast feeding book and DVD :shock:

8. Jojo84

Jojo84 Well-Known Member

See I think it's nice to have the book and stuff because you may change your mind. It's always nice to have - I went to a BF Xlass which was really great and also taught you important things like the importance of skin on skin even if you are bottle feeding

9. russellmuscle

My SIL specified no skin on skin. I was too scared to ask why incase im being offensive and thinking why wouldnt you. Even if you chose not to bf..

xxxx

10. flexilexi394

flexilexi394 Well-Known Member

Oh I wonder why that was? They say that helps regulate temperature, breathing and everything don't they... im curious to know why you wouldn't want that either xxx

11. russellmuscle

It was weird I thought I misheard her but actually she was pregnant at the time and we were discussing labour plans and she says mine is pretty much the same as the first just no skin to skin.. And I said NO skin to skin and she said yeah I didnt do it with the first. I chose not to have them born onto me to she says... But even I was thinking well why not do it with the first but you know what its like dont wanna pry too much on peoples particular choices incase they feel judged or whatever...

I dunno why you wouldnt? Jackson was like balanced on me and after 5 mins i freaked out and david took him until I moved and felt stable then took him back.

Edit: just remembered she also said, she wanted them cleand brought over wrapped so dunno if thats maybe how she was born shes weird traditional like that orr she didnt want gross stuff on her? I dunno I dont get it. Your in labour, you dont care bout grossness either? Who knows.?. And her aunt is a MW and was in her labour.???

xxxx

#51 russellmuscle, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  12. flexilexi394

flexilexi394 Well-Known Member

How odd! I wonder if she advised her being a MW and all that? I loved the skin to skin with Sofia she poo'd all over me hahaha ... I can't imagine not having that to be honest it's what I'm looking forward to most about labour day - from that point of skin to skin she latched beautifully and everything ... Til I was snatched away to get stitched up in theatre lol ... How bizarre yeah I guess some people are squeamish or something but to be honest I looked back at my birthing pictures yesterday and I was covered in blood and baby poo... And I don't even remember that! Xx

13. Jojo84

Jojo84 Well-Known Member

I did skin on skin with my son for
    Months, every night during his feed we would have skin on skin as he fed.

14. MrsSmoo

MrsSmoo Well-Known Member

I probably wont be breastfeeding this time. I tried last time to the point of PND as I couldn't manage and it was horrific I just couldn't manage it I was worn out from a difficult and pretty traumatic birth. Im expecting twins this time so I'm absolutely not putting that pressure on my self. Im going to feed colostrum the first few days while we're in hospital then fully expecting to switch to switch to FF when we get home.
    All this breast is best is all well and good but they don't offer any preparation or support to expectant mothers which i think is strange.
    I felt totally underprepared for something which i thought would be so natural that when it didn't work I was devastated. I think all it would have really took would have been for someone to say to me, bf can be tricky id advise you read up on it if thats how you'd like to feed. I didn't think to do any research or reading because its a natural bodily function.
    Anyway 2 years down the line and DD is doing brilliantly even though she was only BF for about 3 weeks so ill not worry about BF these 2 at all.

15. Cheesypie23

Cheesypie23 Active Member

I can see where she's coming from...
    With my first I thought I wanted skin to skin and no cleaning and things and its not like I'm grossed out by it. After my first was born they webt to give her to me and I just handed her straight to DH. I was so tired, I had been in so much pain I just wanted to sleep and rest and have a breather for a few minutes. After carrying her for 9 months my dh was pretty keen on getting in on the bonding too so it worked well for us. With my second I told them straight off to hand him straight to dh. For me it just gave me some time to breathe, be relieved it was all over and ogle them from afar where I could eat toast and drink tea and just sit for a minute. I have them back after about 20 mins and get them on the boob but until then I sort of just enjoy having my body back for a bit.

16. russellmuscle

I dont think that was really her reasoning. Thats a fair reason and as I says everyone is entitled to their own birthing plan. But she specifically asked for them to be cleaned and wrapped and brought over...

I personally just wouldnt miss the op to get skin to skin with mine. OH cut the cord and held him after I had skin to skin for 30mins and got stitched then I went for a shower.

Each to their own.

xxxxx

17. YorksLass

I thought there was supposed to be something about baby coming into contact with natural bacteria on the skin which would help give their immune system a boost with immediate skin to skin - I guess it doesn't matter whether mother's or father's... or maybe I just dreamt that. I have some weird dreams at the moment... lol

18. russellmuscle

It actually wouldnt surprise me its really beneficial :lol:

Yeh it doesnt matter which you do skin on skin with, mum or dad is good.

Perhaps now that Im pregnant it may come up in convo and Ill ask. Report back in a few months time with that one ;)

xxxx

19. YorksLass

Just did a bit of random reading on it - apparently that is a thing. So I didn't dream it!

20. Cookie24

Cookie24 Well-Known Member

I'm going to FF feed with this baby, i BF with my first but couldn't get on with it so when I got home from hospital i decided to go on FF feed and I tried to BF my second baby however I got really distressed with it as baby wouldn't latch and i was so tired as baby wouldn't sleep so I got my partner to buy some formula, so with this one I'm just going to FF as to me it's a lot less stress X