Is anyone planning on bottle feeding?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Chat' started by Blueclass, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Blueclass

Blueclass Well-Known Member

I will tell them where to go if they try that with me. I will pack baby wipes also the water ones but will use Cotten wall ay home. X

2. Jojo84

Jojo84 Well-Known Member

I used cotton wool for like three days and gave up lol I use the new baby wipes. I was told to wash only with water for a month but that only lasted a week too lol his time I'm a 2nd time mum so they can suck it, I did it once and that's how I will do it again

3. Cherrybelly

Cherrybelly Well-Known Member

I had an emergency csec with my daughter and she used to just fall asleep on my boob and not drink any. In the end, as I was desperate to be discharged from hospital, I expressed and bottle fed, I then had to go on strong pain killers as was in so much pain I couldn't pick her up, so she went on formula. My hv said it was the right decision as she thrived. I felt so guilty, but at the end of the day, happy mummy = happy baby. Good luck xxxx

4. Blueclass

I appreciate all your comments. It's so nice to see i'm not the only one. When people talk to me or tell me to breast fed I feel like I'm alone in wanting to use bottles and not BF. They make you feel so bad and go on so it's really encouraging to see i'm not alone or a bad mum to be xx

5. Kiagirl

Kiagirl Well-Known Member

I didn't breast feed as I didn't want to. I was asked by the midwifes etc why and I just said I've read all the info but formula is best for me and my family and I've made my decision. They were fine with it. I had GD so have a 3 day stay afterwards to check her blood levels, we were in a ward with 4 others, some changing each day and my LO was the only one who didn't cry. The others were bf and didn't have milk yet. My OH has an illness so only I work and I was returning to work quickly and FF made this so much easier and I would choose it again. I think if you have made an informed decision they respect it. X

6. russellmuscle

russellmuscle Well-Known Member

I decided from the Getgo I was FF Jackson. This one I think Ill do colostrum in hospital then switch to FF.

Like everyones says, BFing is circumstancial. Some cant do it, some dont like the idea etc etc. For whatever reason you choose its your choice for your baby and as long as they are fed enough who cares?

I dont like all this judgemental crap on how you wanna feed your baby, it doesnt affect anyone else so, if anyone passes some digs ignore it. Of course MW will promote breast as being healthiest as its natural, but it may not work for you.

I should add that Jackson wasnt ever a sicky baby as some like to assume with FF, hes slept through since 7w and FF was convenient for us both. (OH and I) xxxx

7. flexilexi394

flexilexi394 Well-Known Member

To be honest I don't think there is too much pressure on it now anyway, a lot of my friends who have recently had babies all fully expected a fight and they didn't get one person question their decisions to bottle feed so I wouldn't get worked up about it or worry about it at all, just say from the off what your plan is then do it, they are there to support you not fight you, so don't expect a fight is what I am trying to say I guess. xx

8. SiameseCatLady

SiameseCatLady Well-Known Member

I will fight to breastfeed because that is my choice, but not obviously to the detriment of my baby if it doesn't work for us.
    You will fight to do what you believe is right for your baby and you because it is your right to choose.
    Anyone who says any differently either has not been a mother or is pig ignorant!
    Do what's right for you. You might find you like breastfeeding and start a whole new thread!

9. fairyprincess

fairyprincess Well-Known Member

I'm still undecided, I've got reservations about breastfeeding and have lots of friends who have totally stressed themselves out trying to do it. I will prob give it a go and no put pressure on myself, if it doesn't work out I'm happy to FF x

10. Blueclass

Same as you. X

11. kittyrooroo

kittyrooroo Well-Known Member

I formula fed from the start and always intended to. I looked up the policy in my hospital regarding taking your own bottles so I was well prepared too. I didn't want to give anyone reason to push breastfeeding on me.
    Turns out, my midwife just casually asked what my plan was at my 16 week check, I told her, she gave me a load of leaflets on breastfeeding because she had to and didn't mention it again.

Same in hospital. I wasn't even asked, they just checked my notes and brought me the formula milk of my choice from the minute he was born. It was definitely a weight off, I was worried about the pressure.

Definitely stand your ground with your intentions and you'll be impossible to sway and they might not even try! :) xxx

12. Lolie14

Lolie14 Well-Known Member

I wanted to breastfeed but my lg couldn't latch so I expressed every two hours for 9 weeks! I felt I had to - not by midwives or health visitors or any other professional, they were incredibly supportive. It was the general public who felt they had a say! People would ask me if I fed her myself, it would be the first question out of their mouths and after a while I gave up trying to explain that formula actually kept my baby alive and just responded with "yes I feed her myself as she is too young to feed herself yet!"

I wouldn't worry about the professionals, it's the Great British public you will have to do battle with!

13. russellmuscle

russellmuscle Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely other members of society are more judging.

This time, my MW just says "how are you intending on feeding?" I said I wasn't sure, perhaps the same as last which was BF in the hospital then FF and she says "good so you know breast is best then" I said yes and we moved on, no huge pressures.

But they definitely need to promote it. Which is understandable. Its the people who like to ram their opinions and stats down your throat that bug me!

xxxx

#33 russellmuscle, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  14. kittyrooroo

kittyrooroo Well-Known Member

It's such a personal question isn't it! It's like asking someone "was it a number one or a number two?" as they come out of the toilet! You just wouldn't even dare.

Now that I think about it, I remember a few comments after my baby was born but they were shut straight down with some of my northern sharpness, and hopefully put them off asking other pregnant/recently given birth mums the same question! Xxx

15. Blueclass

Now that I think about it, I remember a few comments after my baby was born but they were shut straight down with some of my northern sharpness, and hopefully put them off asking other pregnant/recently given birth mums the same question! Xxx[/QUOTE]

That is funny, I'm the same and will definitely voice my opinion and doubt they will argue with me as I'm very to the point xx

16. Mrsbee

Mrsbee Well-Known Member

I'm going to attempt to breastfeed as I like the thought of it and I know the benefits but if I'm not able too I'm not going to let them force me. As long as baby is fed either way I'm not bothered just going to try and go with the flow :)

Just do whatever you feel comfortable with :) xxxx

17. Babygiz

Babygiz Well-Known Member

I tried to breastfeed with my first and it didn't work out, so much so I ended up back in hospital with my son on day 5. I understand that people say breast is best etc but if it doesn't work it doesn't work and people have the right to make their own informed decisions as to how they feed there child. From my experience I feel that there is too much pressure placed on mums to breastfeed. A doctor in the hospital had a conversation with me about breast feeding and it is a conversation that I'll never forget. I so wish I could show her my healthy thriving 2.5 year who was formula fed. I am due my second baby later this year and at the 12 week scan breastfeeding was pushed upon me again. Don't get me wrong I'm in awe of those mothers who can do it and I take my hat off to them as its not easy but I'm a case it didn't work for and had to make the right decision for my child.

Go with what your comfortable with and what your happy with. Happy mum = happy baby.

18. Jojo84

Jojo84 Well-Known Member

It was pushed in you at 12 weeks?! Why?

19. scn

scn Well-Known Member

I got my breast feeding talk at my booking app at 10 weeks and asked what I was planning x

20. Babygiz

Babygiz Well-Known Member

The conversation went along the lines of this is whilst we were having additional screening tests - well just because it didn't work last time doesn't mean that it won't this time (which is true) give it some thought, breast is best, we have support people on the ward 7 days a week. And then I got reminded of it again just as I was about to leave the room.

I had enough on my mind never mind that. They do push hard at the hospital near me I won't even go there with a conversation a doctor once had with me. The nurse on the ward was gobsmacked.