hospital bag

mirella

Reaction score
Hi girls,

I know it may be a bit early for me, but I'd like to have ready my hospital bag in a few weeks, 'just in case'.

What I'm not sure about is what to put inside and who many of each thing!!!!! :oops:

could you give me a hand?

Hey! I don't have any advice about what to put in because I haven't packed mine yet. I prob won't do it for another couple of weeks :D :D . Sugarhigh posted this list the other week, couldnt figure out how to do a link to it so i just copied it in.

Here's her list:

What to pack for labour -

• Your birth plan -- If you have one
• Dressing gown -- useful if you end up pacing hospital corridors in early labour
• Slippers
• Socks -- believe it or not, your feet can get cold during labour
• An old nightdress or a T shirt to wear in labour -- It might get a bit messy so don't buy anything specially to wear in hospital.
• Massage oil or lotion if you would like to be massaged during your labour
• Lip balm
• Snacks and drinks for you while you are in labour, or some glucose tablets to keep you going
• Watch with a second hand -- to time contractions
• Digital camera or camcorder. If you want to bring a camcorder, check with the hospital beforehand -- not all of them allow them in delivery rooms.
• Relaxation materials: books, magazines, games etc.
• TENS pain relief machine -- if you are planning to use one
• Toiletries
• Water spray, or a hand-held fan to keep you cool
• Music to listen to -- take a battery-operated machine as most hospitals won't let you plug things in. Some hospitals provide their own CD players -- again, check first.
• Sieve for fishing out poo if planning a water birth

For your birth partner -

• A change of clothes
• Snacks and drinks -- you don't want a dehydrated, hungry birth partner looking after you!

For after the birth -

• Going home outfit. And loose comfortable clothes to wear while you're in hospital. It will take a while for your tummy to go down so you'll be still wearing maternity clothes when you come home -- sorry!
• Nursing bras -- two or three
• Breast pads for when your milk comes in
• Maternity pads -- a couple of packs
• Nightshirt or T-shirt -- front opening shirts are useful for breastfeeding
• Toiletries
• Towels, hairbrush, toothbrush and toothpaste
• Old knickers/cheap knickers/disposable knickers -- don't bring your best ones as they will get messy. If you end up having a caesarean, the NCT does brilliant stretchy knickers that are comfortable over your scar.
• Arnica tablets to help with bruising after the birth. Although there's no conclusive evidence that they work, many women report that taking arnica helps reduce bruising and helps the healing process.
• Ear plugs, in case you end up on a noisy ward!
• Address book, plus lots of change or a prepaid phone card for all the calls you may want to make. You may find you cannot use your mobile phone in the hospital building.

For your baby -

• An infant car seat -- some hospitals won't let you leave without one
• One outfit for the trip home
• Two to three babygros and vests for baby to wear while you are in hospital. Some hospitals provide baby gowns for your baby to wear during his stay.
• Baby blanket (a warm one if weather is cold)
• Nappies
• One pair of socks or booties
• Hat
• Jacket or snowsuit for winter babies.
• Muslin squares

thank you!!!! it'a a big list, I don't know how I will fit everything in a small suitcase!!!! I'll try.... :)

Don't worry - I found that the stuff I managed to chuck into a bag while waiting for the cab to hospital was enough...

When i gave birth to my daughter, of all the things i took with me the one i was most grateful for was...a water jug! Strange i know but let me explain. If you end up having to have stitches it REALLY hurts when you go for a wee, but if you pour some water on yourself as you wee it dilutes to urine and it doesn't sting!!!! Make sure you take a jug or cup with you!!

xx

LinsG said:
When i gave birth to my daughter, of all the things i took with me the one i was most grateful for was...a water jug! Strange i know but let me explain. If you end up having to have stitches it REALLY hurts when you go for a wee, but if you pour some water on yourself as you wee it dilutes to urine and it doesn't sting!!!! Make sure you take a jug or cup with you!!

xx

Yup great advice i did this too!!! :)

dtaylor21184 said:
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/labourandbirth/planningyourbabysbirth/whattopack/#2

thats a good site

I have packed 3 bags

A labour bag
A bag for hospital stay and going home
and one for magazines, snacks and drinks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members