HOSPITAL BAG

Kim

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this but does anyone have any tips on what to put in my hospital bag?

Working as a doula I am an expert on what you REALLY need in hospital, which isn't as much as you think. A few things I will advise that I have found invaluable over the years is:

A tennis ball for back massage (much cheaper than massage tools)
Pack of blu tak (to plug up overflow on a bath to have deeper bath if labouring in the bath due to birth pool not available)
Pack of straws (you need to drink but aren't always upright enough to drink from a cup properly)
CD of relaxing music (or 'bat out of hell' as one women I was with chose!!)
Lavender oil to dab on a tissue and put in the room somewhere for relaxation.
Bottle of rescue remedy.
Plenty of food and drink for you and your partner.
Flannel (or two) for mopping your brow!!
Glucose tablets.
Lip balm
Facial spray
Scrunchie (if you have long hair)
Warm socks as your feet can get cold in labour
camera!!

As well as all the usual nightware, knickers, maternity towels, towels (dark in colour) clean clothes, breast pads, feeding bra's, etc etc

The list has endless possibilities as you then of course have to pack for the baby.

The truth is that if you plan to go home soon after the birth you don't actually need very much. With my first baby I took in a suitcase full of stuff and used hardly any of it.

Hope the above list has been of some help.

Much love

Kerry said:
Working as a doula I am an expert on what you REALLY need in hospital, which isn't as much as you think. A few things I will advise that I have found invaluable over the years is:

A tennis ball for back massage (much cheaper than massage tools)
Pack of blu tak (to plug up overflow on a bath to have deeper bath if labouring in the bath due to birth pool not available)
Pack of straws (you need to drink but aren't always upright enough to drink from a cup properly)
CD of relaxing music (or 'bat out of hell' as one women I was with chose!!)
Lavender oil to dab on a tissue and put in the room somewhere for relaxation.
Bottle of rescue remedy.
Plenty of food and drink for you and your partner.
Flannel (or two) for mopping your brow!!
Glucose tablets.
Lip balm
Facial spray
Scrunchie (if you have long hair)
Warm socks as your feet can get cold in labour
camera!!

As well as all the usual nightware, knickers, maternity towels, towels (dark in colour) clean clothes, breast pads, feeding bra's, etc etc

The list has endless possibilities as you then of course have to pack for the baby.

The truth is that if you plan to go home soon after the birth you don't actually need very much. With my first baby I took in a suitcase full of stuff and used hardly any of it.

Hope the above list has been of some help.

Much love

Hi Kerry

I just wanted to ask a couple of questions about your list. Just wondered what rescue remedy is for? and also glucose tablets?

Cheers

Lou :)

Thanks Kerry I will bear that in mind. :D

The rescue remedy is to calm you down and I believe the glucose tablets are to keep your energy up,

Thanks Sarah!!

You can get rescue remedy from any chemist in a little dropper bottle or a spray - its great in labour as it helps with shock, fear, worry and loads more!

Hey girls

Gonna have to get me some of that rescue remedy. not sure about the glucose tablets. I got told off at my last ante natal for having a glucose trace in my wee. Too many tangfastic haribo and glasses of coke. Have been checked since and my wee is fine now. The midwife said it won't do me or Isaac any harm but the sugar will make Isaac enormous at birth! ouch ;)

I'm packing my bag today. I'm really excited :)

Will log on later and let you know how I got on :)

Lou

I hope sugar doesn't make an enourmous baby!! I can't go 5 minutes without cake at the moment - I'm gonna give birth to an elephant that this rate lol!! :shock:

Maybe get disposible knickers instead of messing your own
lots of panty liners (Thick ones)
both from boots

Dark comfy clothes
Don't forget slippers and nightie

and anything you might need in labour
Deffinatley socks

Most of Kerrys things

ohhhh magic dust to make the baby pop out!

Taking a suitcase at this rate!

I read somewhere in another thread that disposable knickers are very unpleasant to wear so I am going to take some of my worst ever comfy knickers at the back of my underwear drawer, that are on the verge of being thrown out anyway.

I think the most important thing for me is snacks for the DH. He gets weak legs when he is low on food. I can't have that! :shock: :shock:

God I thought I had all I needed. My suitcase is packed and now looks like another bag on top of that is needed now :eek:)

Forgot about big knickers and pads altogether! Durrr!

Em xxxxxxxxxx

Ah Kerry, just read your website. Great stuff, you put a lot of hard work in. I know where to go for advice then ;)

xxxxx

Thanks Emma - hoping to practice my learned skills on myself!!! I work hard to make sure others get their perfect birth just want to make sure I get one too!!! :wink:

Hey

My bags are nearly packed. How can such a small person need so much stuff? The baby I mean, not me ;)

I noticed you guys talking about knickers and I thought I'd let you know that I've been wearing tescos size 16 and 18 knickers for a few weeks now and they are only £2.50 for 5 pairs and they are just as good as maternity knickers. I was a size 10-12 before I got pg so the 16 and 18 sizes are perfect for my ass and bump :)

Maternity knickers are a rip off I reckon.

Hi ladies,

I'm just assembling my hospital bag(s) and I've got a couple of questions:-

1. with regards to the rescue remedy what dosage is recommended? Just the 4 drops? How often?

2. anyone heard of putting witch hazel on your maternity pads to cool your sore bits afterwards? (someone told me about this yesterday)

3. just how big is your bag or do you have two? I'm just looking at the pile and once you've got a towel in there and nappies and pads it's quite large! I've got a small cabin luggage size wheelie bag I might put the clothes and baby stuff in and a rucksack for toiletries and things for labour. Thing is you've got to take the car seat too presumably so by the time you have that too it looks like an expedition!!

4. has anyone else got a variety of baby clothes in case it is small/huge?! I have two cardies, three sleepsuits, assorted hats and booties and a blanket. Too much?

Stupid questions I know but at least it has my fussing focussed for the moment!

Thanks!
+++

lou said:
Hey

My bags are nearly packed. How can such a small person need so much stuff? The baby I mean, not me ;)

I noticed you guys talking about knickers and I thought I'd let you know that I've been wearing tescos size 16 and 18 knickers for a few weeks now and they are only £2.50 for 5 pairs and they are just as good as maternity knickers. I was a size 10-12 before I got pg so the 16 and 18 sizes are perfect for my ass and bump :)

Maternity knickers are a rip off I reckon.

Much agreed - I live in Tesco knickers at the mo as I'm not forking out loads for maternity ones. They are comfy and do the job and I won't cry over cost if I throw them away with them being £2.50 for 5 pairs. I'd rather have them than maternity knickers any day!

I agree with the tesco knickers!

I actually bought a size up by mistake and they are a bit baggy on me but they will be perfect for taking to hospital. I hate the sound of the disposable ones! :shock:

Haha that made me giggle :lol:
I've just bought a waterproof sheet for our mattress (mood inspiring eh :roll: ) and OH says he thinks he is getting into a crisp packet when we go to bed!! I'd rather that than my waters break in bed and ruin the mattress!

I'm getting my labour bag packed today just incase. Does anyone have any idea's how I could/should adapt it though as I may be having a premmie and I don't know what stuff I will need to take for him.

I'm taking babygrows in a couple of different sizes after my mate told me about her baby disasters :lol:

She took 0-3 in for her daughter who came out smaller than expected and they drowned her.
So she took in newborn ones for her son, who came out huge and they couldn't do the poppers up! :D :D

Sorry Sami

I didn't realise you had posted a question about tiny babies and what to take.

I would presume that the hospital would take care of everything your little one needs if he does happen to come early. Hospitals know what to do these days and they do a tremendous job with the little ones.

I was talking about you to the DH yesterday about what a rough time you have had of it all. Its a huge deal becoming a mum at the best of times, without your extra traumas.

I might get a waterproof mattress cover as well. I understand where you are coming from with that one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back