had Strepsils..and now freaking out

Loveleen

Reaction score
Hi girls..need some input from you..I have been having bad cold and cough since last 3 days and as always I started taking strepsils extra for sore throat as it always used to help me..didnt take any paracetamol though..

Came to work today and a friend told me not to have strepsils as its not good for baby..I am now worried as I have been having 4-5 tablets since last 3 days..does any of you have any information about it plz...It did not say on the box not to have like any medicines say..Thanks..

never heard of them harming baby? but ring ur midwife if ur worried xx

Hiya love I rang NHS direct about this the other week and they told me a big no for Dequacain (which I usually take) and strepsils. They told me to stick with hot lemon and honey. They did say that soothers, throaties etc were ok. X

I dont know huni, but dont be panicing too much - the other week I got stung by a wasp and sprayed stuff on it! Only to read 5 mins later that you were not to use if pregnant looked it up on net and then it said wouldnt cause any harm to pregnant ladies - hopefully you should be okay speak to your midwife to see. xx

I always freak out with this stuff. I bought some eye drops from the chemist and realised when I got home it said not to use them when pregnant, so I took them back but the pharmacist said seeing as I was in the third trimester it wouldn't do any harm. He said most things are for when you're in the first trimester and should be fine after that. But if you're worried about it ring your midwife just incase. :)

i got told by the chemist that like Naaat said, most things are fine in tri three, to take paracetamols avoid de-congestant stufs like benadryl but covonia (sp?) and strepsills are fine, ur babys fully formed and just growing now, the drugs that they prescribe now that are safe to take when pregnant such as antibiotics, co-codamol etc, im sure things that you can but over the counter are too

xxx

Hun i would ring midwife and see what she says....dont worry too much about it now cos its only going to stress u and baby now! xx

I would check for reassurance but its true baby is fully formed and growing so u should be fine i take co codamol for the swelking in my legs and u shoyldnt take them when pregnant but a and e told me they are fine

Thanks girls..I did ring midwife..she was not sure first and asked me to hold until she found out..She said I should not have many tablets and try to stick to lemon and honey so I am not having a single tablet now..but thanks for calming me down..:)

Hope you feel better soon - paracetamol as well work well with colds only they can make you constipated. Hotdrink, Hot water bottle and a nice early night for you huni xxxx

Don't worry, baby is nearly cooked and fully formed, so I can't see a few would affect baby at all, prob more if in tri 1 X

id stop worrying lol. and my doctor told me that I can have strepsils and have been taking them alot with a sore throat also I have a family member who is a pharmacist so knows about all the ingrediants that go into medications and she said that there is nothing alarming in strepsils xx

Thanks Claire..I am so glad you told me..I was just sulking as I was trying to even avoid paracetamol..but does bring a lot of relief..:)

I think that there is so much pressure on us pregnant girls its so unfair even from when I was pregnant 6 years ago there are lots of things that have changed. I have been on paracetamol for 4 weeks and now cocodomal the last week for SPD and there are alot of women I know have to take medications for an illness they have had for life and cant just stop taking them cause they are pregnant, enjoy pregnancy thats what I say lol xx

i think alot of it is just for the companies to protect them self INCASE something would happend. I mean most things says, "dont use while pregnant or breastfeeding" i dont think you need to worry so much hun xx

Thats true I agree..thr is always a lot of pressure from people around you and also from these companies in case they get sued bcz they have not done enough research..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back