Fuming...Do you think this is acceptable?!

Froslass

Reaction score
At what age would you say it's ok for a baby to try a little bit of fried rice/boiled rice from the chinese, and maybe some of the plainer meat dishes?

Was out for lunch with a friend yesterday, we went to a local chinese buffet. The food is always really lovely, good quality (the place is actually owned by a friend of my OH's - so i know the chicken is proper chicken breast iykwim. Although you can tell anyway when you eat it)

She had her 15 month old with her, he normally eats everything she and her hubby eat at home, gets on with it really well.

She had brought him some sandwiches to eat and juice and little apple slices, but him being curious wanted to try some of what we were having.

She went and got a little plate from the buffet (after checking with the nice lady it was ok, but kids under 4 are free anyway) and she gave him a small teaspoon of egg fried rice, a prawn cracker, some boiled rice, a little bit of chicken in sweet and sour sauce (proper chicken breast).

So anyway, I didn't think anything of it - if it was my 15 month old I'd probably have no problem with them having it.

So we're sitting eating our meals and this woman appears out of nowhere and says

"It's absolutely irresponsible and disgusting feeding a baby that! (Pointing at the plate) you probably have no idea whats in that chicken. Its bad enough she's eating it (pointing at clearly preggo ME) but feeding a child that is awful - I have a mind to report you to the social for neglect."

And walked away out the door. :shock:

My friend started crying, and I was livid. I would have shouted at her, but she walked away so quickly that I did't even have time to register what had happened..

Another woman that have overheard told my friend not to worry, she was bang out of order.

I felt really awful for her!! She was soo worried the whole afternoon about this woman reporting her to social services..

Am I missing something here? Is giving a 15 month old a little chinese something so awful it would actually merit that kind of reaction from some totally random stranger?!

I am so furious! Why do people feel the need to comment on other peoples lives when they haven't been asked to do so! Grr!

Sounds totally out of order to me. Just ignore people like that, anyone who thinks that kind of behaviour is acceptable is clearly not worth listening to. I'd tell your friend not to worry about it at all, I think the face of any social services person hearing a report about a woman feeding her child a bit of chinese food, would be a real picture lol!

The words 'marbles' and 'lost' come to mind hearing about this one!

Last edited:
I agree Hun it's her that's got the problem as she's nothing better to do than sticking her nose in where it's not wanted or needed! Don't worry and tell your friend not to either! xx

And more to the point, what does that old bag think Chinese people feed their children!? Pizza!?

15 mths old is fine to try out new foods. Your friend should be proud that her son is not a fussy eater and is happy to try out new cuisine at an early age!

Whether or not it's right or wrong to feed a lo Chinese food is by the by - it's mums choice, no one elses bloody business and that's just rude x

OMG, what is the crazy bats problem??

Many a time gave I given my little ones restaurant food to try. My 4 year old ate a bowl full of octopus on holiday (I kid you not)!!!

I bet it really upset her ( if it's her 1st)

God it was gorgeous! This lovely green creamy sauce. God I'm starving!!!!!

I don't understand how people can be so rude! your friend done nothing wrong Hun xx

What a cow!! There's nothing wrong with Chinese food!!
Lacey loves chicken fried rice and has done since she was very young!

And errghhh the thought of eating octopus... I'm not very adventurous with my food! x x

Ummmm what would a child eat in like China?!! I think it may be RICE!!

She can stuff it, its not like your friend was ramming a mcdonalds meal down her childs throat.

Perhaps the lady thought the lo was younger than he looked? Regardless hse had no right to talk to you like that!

lol, none of us knew what it was and Nell was chowing through the whole bowl. The waiter came and said "would the little girl like some more octopus" and we all laughed , waiting for her reaction and without even looking up she said 'yes please'.

See, thats cos she experimented with food early on. Though it took her a while to cotton on that the duck in crispy pancakes was actually quack quack duck!

I was like that when I was young. I used to love steak and kidney pie until I found out where the kidneys came from! I didn't care about the steak though hahaa!

"Hi social services I would like to report a child, what's wrong you say? He was being fed!" They would be banging on her door! She was out of order, it's not like the child had a full portion of ribs, deep fried chicken balls, chips etc.. He was trying some bits and pieces, what's it to her anyway, old bag x

Regardless of what this pathetic woman thought she shouldve kept her opinions to herself the cheeky bitch. I wouldve gone nuts if she said that to me!

:shock: How rude!!! When I started reading your post I thought you were going to say that you were fuming at her feeding her 15 month old that and was wondering why! Obviously I'd be worried if she was giving him that for dinner every day, but I'd have let my boys have bits of rice and meat to taste at 15 months too! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back