I know some of you will think im silly...

Mummy2Adam

Reaction score
But Elexia had her first spoons of baby rice yesterday, she has been so unsettled and bottles were not satisfying her so we decided to just give it ago, if she wasnt ready i wouldnt give her anymore but she loved it.
Ive never seen her smile so much and she got so excited, so we are going to give her some more for her lunch today x x

Do what's right for you & bubba hun & a happy baby means a happy mummy :love:
xxx

I personally wouldn't but it's up to you your her mummy and know what's best for her, all babies are different, I know Kynon is no where near ready for food yet! Did you read that baby rice article circulating on here the other day, I know you cant believe everything you read but just thought I'd mention it x

Last edited:
I knew Lexi was ready and i was trying to hold off as much as i could but she was getting so upset.
I did see the articles hunny but i chose not to read them, Adam had baby rice when he was little and he is fine. Im not being ignorant to the fact that some people dont agree with it, everyone is to their own but if you listen to everything they say, you would do anything x x

I know, things change day to day with regard to feeding babies, there's probably no right or wrong way only lots of different ways to suit different people and their babies. I believe we should just all make our own decisions as we know our babies best ect. I'm on the complete opposite camp to you with feeding and want to go down the BLW route at 6 months, at the end of the day long as our babies grow up healthy there's prob no right or wrong. Bet it's good fun too, can't wait till Kynons ready too! X

Aww that's not silly at all. I loved it when Savannah had her first bit of food... her smiling face made me know I was doing the right thing.

Glad she loved it :)

I expected it to be everywhere as when we first give food to Adam he got it all in his hands and everything but Lexi had a tiny bit around her mouth and that was it, i was quite sad as it is showing shes growning up to fast but if its going to make her a happier baby then growing up fast it is.
I would of loved to do blw but there was no way Lexi was waiting till 6 months, cant wait to see how you get on when the time comes :) x x

Oh chick im not so sure about it tbh. They say not to do it before 6 months as it can cause digestive/obesity and alergy problems. I know she's probs loving the rice though & its maybe helping her sleep, but it wont be too good for her wee tummy (even if she's not sick it can still cause stomach probs). I wouldn't say ppl should wait til 6 months exactly, but i'd say 2/3 months is too early. It might not be worth the risk. Your choice though

Its not about her sleeping hunny, she is on the constant look out for food, she is unsettled between feeds and she is just generally unhappy.
She was showing all the signs of a baby ready to be weaned even the interest in my food when im eating (shes just been crying for my dinner!)
I think all this obesity rubbish is a cover up for all the fast food kids eat these days, when i was a baby i was weaned at 8 weeks and im a normal size.
Like i said in the title people may think im silly but i know its right for Lexi, she is a big girl and milk just isnt enough x x

I know what your saying....but seeming extra hungry doesn't necessarily mean its time for weaning, apparently some ppl start weaning early coz they mis-understand the signs (not saying this is you btw) It says on the nhs website that wanting more feeds doesn't mean they need weaned (it also says the reasons not to which I wont quote)

I know your mum did the same thing, but the facts the nhs talk about are based on... out of so many babies that were weaned early, how many of them developed problems, and more babies developed probs (like obesity/allergies) than those who weren't weaned early. It doesn't mean its defo gonna happen to your LO it just means they are at a higher risk.

At the end of the day it's your choice. Like you say if we listened to everyone else we'd never get anywhere. Have to say even the blw stuff I've read doesn't specifically say 6months - it says most babies show the specifics of being ready at 6months.

As for the allergies/obesity stuff I'm wary off that, cos look at the elderly generation they don't have these probs the same, i personally reackon it's more to do with HOW you wean - there's a whole generation who were advised to wean using jars, obviously that's gonna have a different effect to if you wean using 'proper' food.

At end of day we all just have to make up our own minds, and hope we make the right decisions for our LOs.
Xxx

Why give baby rice? If you're going to give them something I'd at least give real food - banana, etc. up to you but I'd def read that link I posted sonewhere about baby rice....

But from another angle, did the study cover how many fastfood meals they ate or whether the kids parents let them sit on there bums playing computer games and didnt encourage a healthy lifestyle? they are quick enough to do these studies but there not quick enough to think of other factors!
Everyone is to there own and as mummies we have a right to decide whats right for our children on an individual basis and not because the mojority of people do it and thats what i have done for Lexi x x

M2A you sound very well informed I don't think there is a specific age to wean from I have always been a believer of looking for signs from Your baby. All my kiddies were weaned at different times and while some were weaned on mashed fruit and veg I had 2 not ready to be weaned until much later.
Just trust your instinct that's what I have done x

At the end of the day she's your baby so you are the only one who decides what is and isn't best for her so if it feels right to you them chances are its is right for lexi, babies are so different, mine is a very hungry baby but he isn't interested or ready for food he loves his booby too much!! So I'm gonna see if he'll last to 6 mths and do blw and I think he will be fine with that, he doesn't even like bottles or dummies only boob will do, so I think he will miss the puree stage altogether and go straight to solids at 6mths. Not anything to do with me, just the type of baby he is, which is the opposite of some other babies cos each one is an individual its what makes human :)

But from another angle, did the study cover how many fastfood meals they ate or whether the kids parents let them sit on there bums playing computer games and didnt encourage a healthy lifestyle? they are quick enough to do these studies but there not quick enough to think of other factors!
Everyone is to there own and as mummies we have a right to decide whats right for our children on an individual basis and not because the mojority of people do it and thats what i have done for Lexi x x

From what I remember the study was based on toddlers rather than older children, there's loads of similar studies. Their wee tummies need time to get used to milk, then from there build up to being ready for food. Their tummies are so sensitive that they are more prone further probs, its not really about studies as such, more what doc's think their tiny stomach's can handle. I'm not exactly one for following the nhs 100% percent but im sure there must be a reason behind them saying it.

Everyone's right, its up to you, you do what you please & what you think is best, just thought i'd add my 2p worth coz you'd posted the thread, you're always gonna get ppl who agree & disagree, esp with subjects like this, its all part of the forum.

Hope you dont mind me putting my point across!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:hugs:

Course i dont mind hunny like i said before everyone does whats right for their babies and we all have different views, if we didnt the world would be very boring!
Im not one to be influenced by studies they do because a few years down the line most of the start backtracking and changing them but some people stick by them because they believe thats the right thing to do.
Looks like im in the minority here but i still think it what my princess needed and she seems to be settling already, feeds have gone to 3hourly again and she seems more content in between bottles, still a little madam at nap time and bedtime though! :)
Heres a pic of her today, im going to try her on something else next week if she continues to enjoy the rice x x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326567472.696154.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326567472.696154.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 12
Ah bless her! Do you know what I find strange though is I could ween Kynon onto purees in 2 weeks going by some guidelines yet he was a month early and it doesnt matter yet all his other developmental checks are done a month later! So if Lexi had been born when Kynon was nobody would even worry! They did have about the same due date and both big babies, I'm just happy for Kynon to be a greedy breast fed baby for now as it helps keep me slim too lol!

Very true hunny. The size of my little pudding must come into play, shes already as heavy as some of my friends babies who are double her age and filling out in her 3-6month babygro's x x

I don't even have a lo yet - but I honestly think you CAN'T listen to everything you read . We developed from the stone age, where books and media etc was non - existent.

There will always be do this, don't do that and that's most probably because it sells.

Mother's instinct is instilled and 2 and a half months (10/11 weeks) is early but not as early as we would have all been weaned... and at the end of the day most people have the allergies that are in their family, and I am a firm believer in you are what you eat, if you are fat and diet , you get thin. obese people can get thin, so how would that be if it was baby rice as a baby caused their weight issues? That doesn't make sense to me :)

I think you all as mothers will know what's right for you and your child and you only have yourself to answer to for how you bring your child up, so no point doing it someone else's way .

xxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back